Toribash
Originally Posted by Reshiss View Post
We'll also need to take about 500 years of programming the robotic brain to react differently to each tone of voice & words with more emphasis on them.

You also can't have an artificial human if it can't defend itself.

500 years from now, we'll be on the moon maybe even further as society and technology is growing exponentially, not like in the past where ideas and inventions couldn't reach the masses like they do today. We'll make robots to aid in our labor and calculative thinking, Humans and Robots eventually will become one and that's not a matter of "If", but "When". Tecno-Renaissance WILL happen.
Originally Posted by T0ribush View Post
500 years from now, we'll be on the moon maybe even further as society and technology is growing exponentially, not like in the past where ideas and inventions couldn't reach the masses like they do today. We'll make robots to aid in our labor and calculative thinking, Humans and Robots eventually will become one and that's not a matter of "If", but "When". Tecno-Renaissance WILL happen.

Ahem...

Originally Posted by Ele View Post
Guys this discussion isn't about when it will be possible or even if it is. The discussion is about 'what do we do' if we end up creating robots with feelings. Having ALREADY created sentient/emotional AI life, what resposibilities (if any) do we have towards it.

We are this thing's god, so how do we treat it?

No more talk (as Zelda already said) about the technological possibility (/impossibility) of the scenario happening.

Just gonna start deleting and infracting posts if people keep going off track.
If we create robots that have our own feelings, then we essentially are creating a higher entity to ourselves, since their computing power would be greater and the rate of learning would be much faster than a mere human.
The problem that we would be faced with is extinction.

I don't think we'll be able to do anything, because a more powerful brain than ours will obviously be ten steps ahead of us humans, so therefore any actions to try and refute the robots taking over would be absolutely futile since we wouldn't EVER be able to think of a way that's clever enough to stop them, unless it was circumstantial or merely moral luck.

In my opinion, I don't think we have the brain capacity to ever figure out how to create a higher entity since it's literally impossible, however a computer would be able to draw up the schematic for us, however, that would be providing we had built a computer smarter than us to build a computer smarter than itself.
So then again, no, it's just not possible. We are at our peak, physically and mentally.

If we end up having these robots, the only fair conclusion to where they would have come from is outer space.

EDIT:
To answer the simple question of "what would you do?"
Well, I would die, like the rest of us, to be replaced by the new alpha entity. Ez answer for an ez question.
If they are, as you said, already created, then we already doomed.
Last edited by NibsOne; Sep 15, 2016 at 10:37 AM.
Originally Posted by NibsOne
The problem that we would be faced with is extinction.

How do you come to that conclusion?

This implies that higher entities, if given the possibility, will oppress and exploit weaker entities for their maximum gain.
However, I think that a higher conciousness might overcome these human trades and understand that there is a better way of existence.
Last edited by bigGrin; Sep 15, 2016 at 02:43 PM.
“War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin, keep out of the way till you can.” - Winston Churchill
Originally Posted by bigGrin View Post
How do you come to that conclusion?

This implies that higher entities, if given the possibility, will oppress and exploit weaker entities for their maximum gain.
However, I think that a higher conciousness might overcome these human trades and understand that there is a better way of existence.

Well, you can't be certain if the robots WOULD do it, but history shows that we, as humans, have prevailed over the other species so therefore the robots would probably wipe us out or keep us as slaves/pets, as we do with domesticated animals.
Only the fittest survive, and we're just not that fit.
lol
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Well, you can't be certain if the robots WOULD do it, but history shows that we, as humans, have prevailed over the other species so therefore the robots would probably wipe us out or keep us as slaves/pets, as we do with domesticated animals.

We're guilty about it though. We don't want animals to go extinct - We set up huge conservation efforts to protect endangered animals. We can (if one devotes any serious thought to it) all agree that factory farming is morally abhorrent and we'd rather not have it (we have it out of current necessity). If synthetic (cloned) meat was indistinguishable in every sense from real meat, I don't doubt that we would transition to eating it instead (after overcoming the initial visceral resistance to it).

As animals with reasonably developed moral capabilities, we recognise that it's not really right to drive other animals to extinction, or to lock them up in zoos, generally speaking. These robots would assumedly have even more developed moral capabilities. I think it's possible that would translate into even greater respect and compassion for other lifeforms.
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
We're guilty about it though. We don't want animals to go extinct - We set up huge conservation efforts to protect endangered animals. We can (if one devotes any serious thought to it) all agree that factory farming is morally abhorrent and we'd rather not have it (we have it out of current necessity). If synthetic (cloned) meat was indistinguishable in every sense from real meat, I don't doubt that we would transition to eating it instead (after overcoming the initial visceral resistance to it).

As animals with reasonably developed moral capabilities, we recognise that it's not really right to drive other animals to extinction, or to lock them up in zoos, generally speaking. These robots would assumedly have even more developed moral capabilities. I think it's possible that would translate into even greater respect and compassion for other lifeforms.

Sure, I actually completely understand where you're coming from! However, we might not be able to see the bigger picture that the robots might, and the universe in general may seem so much more easily accessible, rendering humans not only a lesser entity on Earth but...universally.
So the moral conservation matter turns from global to who knows what. Maybe we don't matter on the grand scheme of things, maybe we do. Only the robots will know.

Let's hope we create only morally sensitive brains, and don't build AI for war.
But hey, who am I kidding...they'll build AI for war first.
lol