Ranking
Original Post
[Forum]How to prevent scams
Hi, I decided to make a simple tutorial about scam prevention. They happen frequently and I am sure most people have encountered a scammer and successfully managed to avoid them. But there are enough people who do not have the experience to determine a fraud attempt.

Dealing ingame

Most scam attempts happen ingame.
In fact, I have hardly ever seen any scams that did not happen ingame.
So when you do negotiate ingame, be aware that the chances that you are getting scammed are significantly higher than anywhere else (unless you are the scammer of course, in that case: duck you).
Here is a hint for all of you: DO NOT DEAL INGAME. Just don't. It's safer.

If you still have the urge to deal ingame take screen shots of the entire conversation (hit the f8 button frequently, or FN + f8 if you are using a Mac) so we can help you if you get scammed.

Double check each transaction

Whenever you are arranging a deal, no matter with whom, check their credibility.
Most scammers do not possess the items/tc they are offering.

• Check their TC and Qi count. Most scammers are lowbelts (alts) with a low post count and a low belt (usually below brown). Just use this link to check it. Simply replace “NAMEHERE” with the user's name you want to check. http://www.torinet.de/ustats/

or when you are using the forums just click on the button.

• Check their deactivated and active inventory. You can just use this site to check their inventory. http://www.torinet.de/ustats/
Or use the following links, make sure to replace “NAMEHERE” with the user's name you want to check.
Deactivated inventory: http://forum.toribash.com/tori_inven...rname=NAMEHERE
Active inventory: http://forum.toribash.com/tori_inven...AMEHERE&sid=-1 (yes, you will have to add &sid=-1 at the end)

or when you are using the forums just click on their username and the respective option in the dropdown menu.

Account trading and transactions with real money

Everyone knows that people are selling their accounts.
Account selling is prohibited, according to hampa. They will be banned on sight.
If you still proceed be aware that you will get NO SUPPORT AT ALL. We simply don't care.

If you sell or buy toribash related subject matter with real mony, use paypal or webmoney and do not send as gift. If you send it as gift it will be a lot harder to get your money back when you get scammed.
If you get scammed: We will not refund your precious money you lost. We can, however, ban whoever scammed you.
If you lose TC or items in such transactions it will get handled just like a regular scam.

Safetrade

Unfortunately the safetrade function is currently not working.
However, us marketsquad guys would be able to do it for you.
Check this thread for more information: http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=286516

When you found a scammer

Yes, even scam attempts are illegal. When we know that someone tried to steal other user's with hard work earned money or items we are going to intervene to make sure that he will not try it again.
If you think you encountered a scammer after checking all those factors I listed above file a scamreport thread or PM someone with a green or blue name. Make sure you read the stickies before filing a scam report.

In urgent cases contact #support. Just click on the HELP button at the top of the forums and connect.

To find someone with a blue or green name just click on View Forum Leaders
at the bottom of the forums.

Just click on the name you desire to contact, click on the “Contact info” button and then proceed to send him a private message.
Make sure to provide ALL of the following information:

Who did it:
How does it make him a scammer:
Proof*:

*We will require proof or evidence. We will not take action just because you say so. Your word is not enough. If you encounter a scammer take a screen shot (f8, or FN + f8 if you are using a Mac) and upload it to a image hosting site such as tinypic.com. Just copy/paste the [img] link it gives you and put it in the message.

When you got scammed

When you got scammed the best thing you can do is file a thread in Scam Reports.

• Read the stickied threads
Yes, all of them. They provide useful information that will help us to help you if you use them.

• Be patient
After you provided all information we asked for all you can do is wait.
Feel free to PM the person who handles the case all your questions or poke him if you think he forgot about it.
If the thread becomes inactive, feel free to bump it.

We never will punish you for reporting something, don't be afraid. As long as your report is legit and you do not try to trick us with false information you will be fine. If you do try to trick us and we find out the punishment will be great, I can assure you.
Of course the common sense rules will still apply. If you post links to shocking sites or similar awful content we will ban your ass.

Lost your account?

There are various ways to lose your account.
It is never a good idea to give anyone your password, ever. According to the [[Terms of service]] we are not obligated to return any accounts when you blindly gave your password away.

Email support:

If you think your account got compromised do not hesitate to send an email to [email protected].

Just fill out this form and submit it:

Purpose of this email:
Your username:
Email address*:
Brief explanation**:
Other info:

* The email address you added to your account or used to register your account.
** A simple explanation how you lost your account.
Last edited by Redundant; Jul 22, 2011 at 03:19 PM.
Wow, great tutorial. Very neat and organized. This will help a lot of people understand scams. Lol a week or so ago this guy was buying an item off me for 4.5k. He accidently sent me too much, then immediately called me a scammer and threatened to report me for scamming him :3 I sent the extra cash back, but some people need to learn a bit more about scams. You did a good thing Redundant :]
[Chess]
daddy kill the spider
This REALLY needs to get stickied somewhere in the Market board or here. It would help out many people.

Very good tutorial.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Finally someone did a well-explained thread about this topic

I think that this will solve a lot of future problems
secso
you should also add about the screenshot thing, *(for macbook hold down fn and click f8 )* because f8 alone is to turn music on.
A dueler is only a good as his finest lift.

I love many people on this forum such as ...
Uric|Internet|Stellar|Wesley|Boonana|AJ|FireBolty|iRookie|Brucia|Kristis133|Liquidoom|Lightningkid
[type=noob]monk[noob]
I respect...
Originally Posted by Shmevin View Post
This REALLY needs to get stickied somewhere in the Market board or here. It would help out many people.

Very good tutorial.

I felt so free to sticky it in the scam reports board. :)

Originally Posted by Dr0pK1ck View Post
you should also add about the screenshot thing, *(for macbook hold down fn and click f8 )* because f8 alone is to turn music on.

Thank you, I will add that now.

I'll also edit the safetrade service part.
We got that professionaly done now.
http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=286516
Last edited by Redundant; Jul 17, 2011 at 11:29 AM.
How are you?
this needs to be stickied for sure, so next time someone asks about account trading they can just go to this!
i also loved the ending "If you post links to shocking sites or similar awful content we will ban your ass." It will bring fear into the hearts of all scammers for sure ^-^
blah

Hrmm. "We will never punish you for reporting someone". There's a few special exceptions, the biggest one being if you report yourself, or you're making false reports in an attempt to scam (it's happened, don't do it, the punishments are even longer than normal).
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!