Ranking
Original Post
Is a Zombie Outbreak Possible?
I know it may sound very far fetched but some say it could be possible that a strong virus could be born and infect people, turning them into a horde of mindless monsters.
Would survivors be able to defend themselves or will every last uninfected being get killed or eaten
a spoon.
Please provide citation and evidence (I believe such evidence/discussion may actually exist, but I'm not about to provide it for you), or I'm going to treat this as wild speculation and kill it or move it somewhere more appropriate.

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&
Short answer: No

Long answer: There is currently no such virus in existence, and even the 'closets' virus (rabies) would require quite a lot of mutation. Theories about rabies mutation forming a zombification virus are shaky at best.
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
I think it if there is..
It will start from one person who got infected by an unknown virus and starts mutating his body then becomes a zombie then goes to a city and starts infecting the other people until everyone gets the Infection then a person goes in an airplane not knowing he is infected and lands on another country and infects everyone until zombies dominate the world while some survivors battle their way to the military evacuation centers and stuff.
http://www.cracked.com/article_18683...l-quickly.html

Nope.

/thread
Last edited by Vulc; Oct 29, 2011 at 07:32 AM.
[SIGPIC]https://cache.toribash.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic1832449_3.gif[/SIGPIC]

Free TC!

Originally Posted by Vulc View Post
http://www.cracked.com/article_18683...l-quickly.html

Nope.

/thread

Nice try there but maybe you should read the thread you're posting in first, not flaming or anything, but for one you posted a link to how a zombie apocalypse could quickly fail, not that it is not possible.And for two I'm also pretty sure, no I am certain because I was not lazy enough to check, that the same website has an article on how it is actually possible, here:

http://www.cracked.com/article_15643...r4=recommended

Thank you for playing, bed time for me. >threadproceed
I do believe that even if it succeeded as a virus, it would failed immediately as a carry.
Its because of the both weather and the zombie health condition.
They do not have health conditions like ours obviously, they are unable to survive.
Have you guys forgot the real definition of a zombie?

infection = mutant

zombie = undead

A zombie could possibly be possible,since the corpse is brain dead,but the corpse itself is not dead.Or,a mad scientist can keep the brain of a guy that died 1 minute ago,keep it safe in a freezer,and inject a virus and put it back in the dead body..

But I don't think a mutant can exist
Mayonnaise colored Benz, I push Miracle Whips
In actual fact, there is a virus in existence, only within the animal kingdom with properties that make the infected want to bite other people to spread it.
For instance, rabies—a viral disease that infects the central nervous system—can drive people to be violently mad.

Such viruses and diseases are possible, the aspect of changing someones very instinct already exists, for example rabies in a sense, essentially making them "mad" to the point they are no longer themselves.
Originally Posted by national geographic
Though dead humans can't come back to life, certain viruses can induce such aggressive, zombie-like behavior

The examples given were rabies and even flu. Specifically a perfectly possible, however unlikely hybrid.
However, unlike such movies, rabies once fully active (after the incubation period of 10 days to a year) kills you often within a week.

As for the mutation side of it:
If the genetic code of the rabies virus experienced enough changes, or mutations, its incubation time could be reduced dramatically, scientists say.

Many viruses have naturally high mutation rates and constantly change as a means of evading or bypassing the defenses of their hosts.

There are various ways viral mutations can occur, for example through copying mistakes during gene replication or damage from ultraviolet light.

To be transmitted by air, rabies would have to "borrow" traits from another virus, such as influenza.

Different forms, or strains, of the same virus can swap pieces of genetic code through processes called reassortment or recombination.

Some scientists according to this site and others cross referenced say it's perfectly possible, although probably not in the short term.

Link: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...virus-science/
She/They

Yeah, I only don't like erthtkv2 because of the mod's name. Make it "tkv2," and the mod will instantly become more popular. This is a valid reason as the name of the mod is still an important feature that no one seems to have yet discussed.
i think that a zombie could exist in an enviroment they are adapted to, two strong viruses could combine inside a human and cause them to lose contron like rabies and cancer or something. if it did happen the infected would not take over the world they may not even survive through winter since they are not adapted to the weather. unless they're sitting by a fireplace in a cabin lol.