Toribash
Original Post
Computer failing before POST (sometimes)
Here's my rig:
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Vishera
Mobo: M5A97 R2.0
RAM: some GSkill DDR3 2x4GB sticks
Video Card: AMD Radoen r9 200 series 2GB vram
HD: booting off of my Seagate, forget specs but its a 1TB drive and has shown no signs of dying anytime recent (checked event logs and did a few diagnostics)

So my issue is my computer sometimes fails to post. I power on my PC and fans and mobo will be on (mobo light is green) but my USB and video wont get power. Then I will have to turn it off and on numerous times until it gets to the Asus mobo splash screen. I don't believe it's CPU as I reseated it and reapplied thermal paste. Could potentially be the battery but im posting from said computer right now so it would be very funky for it to only shit out on startup, like I could play a videogame for hours and be OK. My bet is its on the mobo maybe a broken path or something. I'm about to try a bios update but wanted to see if any of yall had some useful input. Also don't believe its a loose cable thing either, I took apart the entire computer but problem still persists. Post if you need more information.
i created the ??? emoji
like a lighter bitch we ignit
Possibly power supply problem I would say. Could be failing, or premature power_good signal being sent.

If you have a spare PSU try that instead. If you have a voltmeter you could check the PSU. If you hare spare cables you could try swap some (especially the mobo pwoer 20+4) If you have neither, then it's a bit hard to diagnose. Check to make sure the PSU cables are properly plugged in at both ends.

Could also be a problem with the outlet, try plugging it in to a different power outlet.

Do you hear the HDD spin up? Did the problem start after you reseated/pasted CPU?

May as well check your ram is properly plugged in (you have to push pretty hard until the plastic clips flip in to place).

Maybe check BIOS settings to make sure everything is as expected.

Does the problem exist when resuming from standby, hibernate, cold boot, or some combination? About how many tries is numerous?

Sounds like an annoying problem...
Originally Posted by wibblefox View Post
Possibly power supply problem I would say. Could be failing, or premature power_good signal being sent.

If you have a spare PSU try that instead. If you have a voltmeter you could check the PSU. If you hare spare cables you could try swap some (especially the mobo pwoer 20+4) If you have neither, then it's a bit hard to diagnose. Check to make sure the PSU cables are properly plugged in at both ends.

I'll give this a try when i get home
Could also be a problem with the outlet, try plugging it in to a different power outlet.

Do you hear the HDD spin up? Did the problem start after you reseated/pasted CPU?

HDD spins up and I've tried setting default boot device to my other HDD but no luck. I reseated/pasted my CPU to try and resolve the issue, but didn't change a thing.
May as well check your ram is properly plugged in (you have to push pretty hard until the plastic clips flip in to place).

Maybe check BIOS settings to make sure everything is as expected.

I already did both of these, I've tried taking one stick out trying to boot with just one, then taking that one out and trying to boot off of another. And tried different slots. No beans.
Does the problem exist when resuming from standby, hibernate, cold boot, or some combination? About how many tries is numerous?

Sounds like an annoying problem...

The problem exists when I try booting it up, I rarely use the other states. Like if my computer is powered down and I want to turn it on then I've got to try it a lot before it finally turns on. The reason I don't think it's the PSU unless its sending that signal you were talking about too early is because once it gets past boot it runs completely fine. Maybe it is a faulty cord, I'll try some tests on my PSU and try swapping out a few connectors to see how that works, but I just don't think that kind of stuff could occur if I could sometimes get past boot and run completely fine. If it was something like a faulty cable I'd guess my computer wouldn't be able to run for long until it runs into a fatal crash.
i created the ??? emoji
In that case unless it's mobo failure of some kind I think PSU is the most likely bet.

At this point your main way to diagnose the problem is to find someone with parts and start swapping until you find which part has failed (most likely mobo or PSU to me).

gl
Thanks, that's what I thought but I think it's probably more mobo than anything else. It's a pain to swap out mobos with all the right pins and connectors and shit.
i created the ??? emoji