Ranking
Originally Posted by Uncas23 View Post
Another factor is that everyone likes the music that he/she isn't used to. I mean if you listen to music of the same genre or the same influence a lot you will always get bored of it. And you look for something new. In this interesting case the old songs are the new ones, they sound different. And there are so many variations in old songs that you will less likely get bored of them.

Totally agree. I play in a band specified on reggae music and can't listen to reggae outside the rehearsals very much, because it gets boring.

Additonally, I think that you can learn so much from old songs. The variations are very interesting and nothing goes over that good old vynil sound. But also some new electronic genres and songs are quite interesting when you know what work the artist put in the music. Virtual Instruments also have a really large(!) spectrum of sounds and harmonics.

I like listening to "old" instruments compared with some matching synths.
I'm only cleaning here..
A lot of writers in music don't seem dedicated nowadays it all feels like it's on a whim, I want to hear complex song structures and powerful vocals. Today you can't tell if someone has a good set of lungs and throat through the over produced music.

Old school music had talent everywhere due passion, seclusion and liqour.
Today talent is few, not many have the same drive, too many distractions (Facebook, twitter followers, and YouTube) they find a comfort zone and tend to get trapped there.
And overall aren't that great at story telling and visuals.

Also I like some nu music, so I'm not ripping on it entirely.
The way i see it is time is a filter some of the best classics from back in the day like Billy joel's piano man or stix renegadeare still well known but that doesn't mean all the songs today are terribad i honestly love bruno mars' Uptown funk and alot of taylor swift songs the 50's had some pretty bad songs to but society remembers the one's they love to listen to
If you're reading this its to late
Yeah new sounds ain't all dat bad like Crazy by Gnarles Barkley or Someone like You by Adele or whatever both you can clearly here skill.

I'm not biased it's just when you actually listen with the knowledge of music they have or surpass but utilized in different ways.
You're all talking about pop music, and that music didn't really change over the years. Classical music is an entirely different thing though, with music slowly evolving into an artform. Compare vivaldi to Wagner, Schoenberg, rautavaara etc, and you will see great differences in harmony.
The way I see it, the biggest influences in music are
+the introduction of electronic music (not just oscillators and amplified instruments, look up eg Stockhausen)
+cultural exchange (Steve Reich and glass being inspired by Buddhist chants)
+the destruction of the tonic and tonal harmony, xenharmony, atonality

Sorry for the sloppy post but it's hard enough to write on phone and I just wanted to add fuel to the fire or something.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
Music of the past is far, far too out of my league to talk about, as people feel so strongly, but at the same time, most modern music is simply synthesizers. Not real music, just synthesizers. You can go onto some shit like GarageBand, and make a song with no real effort. Most songs don't even include lyrics anymore, so even if you did put effort into the lyrics but used synthesizers, it's gone from there.

I prefer mid 21st Century stuff. Arctic Monkeys, AIR TRAFFIC, Immortal Technique, etc.
Silver Elite Master. Fml.
Ele | Morals | JackMorris
I agree that synthesizers are generally less interesting than acoustic instruments. I defend this by saying oscillators always use the same algorithms for different notes, but in acoustic instruments every note has its own quality. Which is why violin players are so picky about their strings and fingering and timbre.

I feel like popular music today takes the music less seriously. Why make good music when a song with a pop culture reference gets more attention?
I'm thinking mainly of gagnam style, that facebook song and the big bass song. Is music moving from an artform back to a party gimmick?
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
Originally Posted by Lazors View Post
I agree that synthesizers are generally less interesting than acoustic instruments. I defend this by saying oscillators always use the same algorithms for different notes, but in acoustic instruments every note has its own quality. Which is why violin players are so picky about their strings and fingering and timbre.

I feel like popular music today takes the music less seriously. Why make good music when a song with a pop culture reference gets more attention?
I'm thinking mainly of gagnam style, that facebook song and the big bass song. Is music moving from an artform back to a party gimmick?

Music itself isn't, it's just that party music has become a lot more popular so more people started producing it.
Lazors, Music has changed in a very big way.
That's not to say that's a bad thing. A lot of people say "Electronic music is bad" or "I was born in the wrong generation". Good music is out there, you just have to find it. "Mainstream" music wasn't always awful, soulless, and felt like it came fresh off a conveyor belt in some factory. Now that that is often the case, you have to search to find originality. Groups like Gorillaz, Twenty one pilots, Daft punk, and Flying Lotus are all good examples of very high quality groups that blend with/are from the electronic genre in this generation, all of which are very unique and have very different sounds. I disagree with the statement that there's less effort and less talent in music today. I do agree that the music with little effort and little talent makes up a huge mass of the music being put out there and thrust in our faces. We just have to dig deeper.
Last edited by Krisp; Jul 29, 2015 at 01:39 AM.
For once in a decent beer brand, I believe KrispKrap and I agree on something. It's unfortunately very hard to find most of it /decent music/, as it's either in a vevo dump that no one can take the time to get to through all the other garbage, or not on youtube at all. The latter of these is arguably far more frustrating, as it's either a very small corner of a very popular music dump, or on a website hosted by the artist that is unlikely for myself to click on (as I don't recognize the website). They do exist, but they are small in number. Then again, I may just be a picky gaylord.
Last edited by Grohenbird; Jul 29, 2015 at 09:24 AM. Reason: I'm a derp yo.
I think I might be retired.