ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Truth vs. Happiness..
So,
My friend show me a show called 'lie to me' over the weekend. It was very interesting. It's about someone named Cal Lightman, who can tell feelings by looking at facial expressions, and using this to figure out crimes, lies, and other stuff.

I've heard of this before, someone named Paul Ekman discovered this tactic, called a 'Microexpression' which is universal, where a facial expressions flashes for a very short time (1/5 of a second). Most people have to teach this (like I've been doing for the last 4 months ._.) but some people are naturals, about .01% of the population.

Anyways, one line in the episode got me interested.

'You can only have truth or happiness, not both'

This brings me to my question -
Which one would you have?

I would pick Truth, becuase, if a wife/girlfriend told me 'I love you' And flashing scorn, or other microexpressions of lying/hate, it won't work out anyways. Might as well get it over soon.

Also, I would make this a poll... But I dont see an option anywhere. ._.

Edit: I would recommend the show lie to me =D
Also, if you're interested, in the 4 months of training my lie detection rating is 60%, 40% is the rate of a person without any training
Last edited by 2worlds; Jun 16, 2009 at 07:06 AM.
T0ribush: I could not get into two worlds even if my life depended on it.
ಠ_ಠ ಥ_ಥ
You can have both, how can't you?

It's not hard to accept the truth and get over it? And the truth isn't always some life ending dealer of doom and gloom... You make it sound like this guy thinks everyone is out to get him, and that they all secretly hate him.

Secondly, don't judge a book by its cover. That could be merely impulse, before they apply much thought into their reaction and response. Why judge that?
Well most people tend to be happier not knowing what things, like the death of a family member, war, etc.

If you have truth you can't have happiness because then you would know of the rotten things in the world
<Vezere> Do you love me?
<Wesley> Indeed
I would have to go with truth on this one.
its seems more useful then happiness like 2worlds example of truth made a good point
Person 1: "You suck" (lie)
Person 2: "Wow man, you cut me real deep."
Person 1: "Just kidding, you're awesome" (truth)
Person 2: "Oh yay I'm so happy!"

It depends on the situation really. If it's something little that doesn't matter then happiness. If it's a big thing, truth.

Also don't forget that "Lie to Me" is still just a TV show.
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
You can have both, how can't you?

It's not hard to accept the truth and get over it? And the truth isn't always some life ending dealer of doom and gloom... You make it sound like this guy thinks everyone is out to get him, and that they all secretly hate him.

Secondly, don't judge a book by its cover. That could be merely impulse, before they apply much thought into their reaction and response. Why judge that?

Well lets put it in a big picture.

Happy people tend to think of the world as perfect, and dont tend to realise the flaws. This means that they don't really see the truth.

People that see the truth, arent so happy becuase they realise the world isnt perfect, which can make someone depressed.

Of course it is possible to live with both, but I kinda doubt it ;o

Also,
You make it sound like this guy thinks everyone is out to get him....

If you put away to many people in prison, they're bound to have connections. You can get a bullet in the head fairly soon if you use it for Federal agencies, or from some other person afraid of him finding the truth

@ above : Most of the stuff they say is actually true, and if you don't believe that's possible... House also has alot of true Medical facts.

They're bound to make up some facts, but most of it is true.
T0ribush: I could not get into two worlds even if my life depended on it.
ಠ_ಠ ಥ_ಥ