Toribash
Original Post
Discuss Snowden.
I personally believe he should be left alone. The NSA has been exposed for crimes against the people, why the hell aren't we worshiping Snowden as a hero? Discuss.
"I have no fear, for fear is the little death that kills me over and over. Without fear, I die but once."
Oh wow no one ever knew the NSA comited crimes against people, I'm sure they will shut them down because they are bad?
Wired already covered this literally over a year before Snowden blew the whistle. This is not new information.
Preposterously dank.
I'm surprised by the fact that people are surprised about this. I figured everyone would know about the U.S gov. tracking everything. What scares me is the NSA getting every country he turns to, to turn on him so quickly. That's something we should be thinking more about.
NOODLE ARMS
Because it makes more sense to favor one lone individual who isn't even a citizen of their country and gives virtually nothing of worth, rather than an economic and military powerhouse who is infamous around the world for having the shortest fuse among all the first world countries.

Are people that clueless about world politics?
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
Because it makes more sense to favor one lone individual who isn't even a citizen of their country and gives virtually nothing of worth, rather than an economic and military powerhouse who is infamous around the world for having the shortest fuse among all the first world countries.

I'm very well aware of the reasoning behind their decisions. The fact that the U.S has the power to influence these countries in such a way is the problem.
NOODLE ARMS
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post

True, but I think you missed the point. I've not met any individual who doesn't acknowledge that USA is a asshole country, but obviously governments can't act on that kind of thing. But the question is what to think of Snowden, not what to think of USA.
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
True, but I think you missed the point. I've not met any individual who doesn't acknowledge that USA is a asshole country, but obviously governments can't act on that kind of thing. But the question is what to think of Snowden, not what to think of USA.

Originally Posted by LagSwitch View Post
I'm surprised by the fact that people are surprised about this. I figured everyone would know about the U.S gov. tracking everything. What scares me is the NSA getting every country he turns to, to turn on him so quickly. That's something we should be thinking more about.

That was the reason for the somewhat off-topic comment. And I'll briefly touch it again because of below.

Originally Posted by LagSwitch View Post
I'm very well aware of the reasoning behind their decisions. The fact that the U.S has the power to influence these countries in such a way is the problem.

So what do you propose? The U.S. giving up their economic and military power so that a person who leaked secrets, then deliberately showed his face and name when leaking it for the publicity, can't be extradited and charged for his own shortsightedness and stupidity?

Whether or not you approve of the U.S. being a strong-arm nation when it comes to politics, the fact of the matter is that they are. And it's not going to change because of personal whims anyways.

What it comes down to is the fact that Snowden released said information, not anonymously to the press, which is what he could have done, but by willingly showing his face to the public and putting a giant fucking target on his back. He wanted the publicity, and he wanted the fame(infamy?). He should of anticipated the U.S. trying to go after him for doing it, but he still releases the information while he's in the United States, then has to wildly flee to nations that are not entirely cooperative with the United States while he desperately begs for asylum. I have no sympathy for the man, and I have no qualms about the government's actions.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games