Ranking
I never considered careers seriously until 13 years, with the secondary school coming to an end for me, I begun to ask myself what I really wanted to do. Since my strong suits were biology, chemistry and physical education (lol :d) at school. I would say I was academically strong but certainly not very dedicated.

I always appreciated the role of using a scientific basis to improve the healthcare of animals, human beings coming later. I discovered by my general personality that I was someone suited to an ever evolving job that requiring lifelong learning. I felt I had the foundation of interpersonal skills required and that I would enjoy the diversity and broad career options medicine provided. I honestly didn't considered the down sides of pursuing a career in medicine, including long work hours, many exams and the stress of difficult patients, law suits etc. I felt confident that the positives far outweighed the negatives after considering these aspects.

I really appreciate reading and i'm an inquisitive person, in short i'm kind of a "geek"; I also really enjoy working with and understanding people. I chose medicine because it offered me the opportunity to integrate these interests and apply them in a very practical profession. From examining patients to phlebotomy to suturing, it's not just about memorising information, but about applied skills. I'm now in my second year and I find it hugely rewarding to put together all the pieces of the puzzle- the history elicited with good communication skills, the knowledge of human biology and the findings from examination and investigations to suggest a diagnosis and be told it was the right one! I only found out that Medicine was my thing after passing to the second year. And the decision to stay a student for 7 years when my friends will be all in a gainful employment in 4 years wasn't an easy one. But it was the right one for me.

TL; DR: Looking back at past years, I feel the only way to be sure on what career you should follow is to get as much experience and insight into the profession as possible. Of course this applies whether you are 17 and at school, or if you are 35 and working in industry. Even then, you may leave yourself with a small leap of faith, but you are much less likely to be disappointed in the outcome than otherwise.
I'm a Verified Toricredits Seller & Marketeer!
Well all jobs will require life long learning, no matter what you do, there is always something new to learn. I for one am not much of a reader. Reading is no fun for me, I just learn things on my own. Also phlebotomy is a specific field, the field of the blood studies boi. Then you also went from that to stitching. Do you have any idea what specific field you want to get into though? Also, on you're last point. The only person stopping you from doing something, is you. You can do whatever you want, but at the end of the day the reasons you do something done have to be you, could be fore your family or whatever it is.
Sure, most of the careers do require life long learning. In some careers that it's taken to another level, and not quite on some. Athletes, Drivers, Actors for ex.
I believe that no one really enjoy reading hahah, but there are some things that you should read about first before sprinting to them.
Ans it's always cool to learn things by yourself, it's surely rewarding.

Hehehe, we learn about phlebotomy and suturing informally. In some uni's they have phlebotomy as an optional lesson (and suturing pigs feet). We are taught by classmates with phlebotomy licenses how to draw blood, so it's a thing that it's taught superficially.
And nope, i'm unsure on what specific area i should follow, it's a decision that I'm leaving for the future.

I agree with you, but parents and friends can have a big impact when you're choosing a career. Many parents often like to choose a career for their child (that can be good and bad) and they ending up doing something they don't like.
Also, parents support (my mother totally supported me when i chose medicine, but my father didn't show any sign of being happy, he wanted me to do IT instead) so it's something that can have a positive or negative impact and can affect someone's choice a lot.

In the end you should totally stand up and choose what you really want to do, and what leaves you more comfortable.
I'm a Verified Toricredits Seller & Marketeer!