Toribash
Original Post
South Korean president: Prepare for Korea unification

SEOUL--South Korean President Lee Myung-bak instructed his Cabinet ministers on Wednesday to begin preparations for peaceful unification of the Korean Peninsula, according to officials in the president's office and other government officials.

Lee made the comments in separate meetings Wednesday with the ministers in charge of foreign affairs, national security and unification.

In those discussions, Lee also made clear that next year would be an important time to press North Korea to abandon its nuclear ambitions through the six-party talks.

Until now, Seoul has limited the use of the term "unification" in discussing relations with North Korea because it could be construed as the South absorbing its northern neighbor, possibly provoking Pyongyang to take drastic measures.

However, instances of military provocation this year by North Korea, capped by the November artillery attack on Daeyeonpyeongdo island, have swayed the thinking among South Korean government officials to put more emphasis on unification, sources said.

To avoid excessively provoking Pyongyang, a presidential official emphasized, "What is desirable is peaceful unification and not a unification through absorbing (North Korea)."

Such linguistic nuance will likely not have much effect in placating Pyongyang.

In receiving the report by Ministry of Unification officials, Lee said, "Having witnessed the sinking of the corvette and the artillery attack on Daeyeonpyeongdo island, I believe that unification is not that far away."

Sources said the president indicated his understanding that North Korea had fewer alternatives in escaping from the difficult conditions it faces.

According to sources, Lee also said in the meeting, "In preparing for unification, we have to begin efforts to gain the support of not only our ally, the United States, but also Japan, China, Russia and the European Union."

Analysts said the comment reflected the recognition that expenses related to unification of the Korean Peninsula could be huge depending on the process.

Lee also received a report from officials of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Sources quoted Lee as saying in that meeting: "North Korea has set the goal of becoming a strong and prosperous nation in 2012. We have to make efforts through the six-party talks to persuade North Korea to abandon its nuclear program next year."

Pyongyang has pronounced a slogan of becoming a strong and prosperous nation in 2012, which marks the centenary of the birth of Kim Il Sung, the country's founder.

Seoul has continued to maintain that the six-party talks should only be resumed once Pyongyang has implemented measures toward denuclearization.

Lee's comment that next year would be very important in achieving denuclearization leaves open the possibility that South Korea could return to direct dialogue, depending on North Korea's actions.

Hyun In-taek, the unification minister, told a news conference after his meeting with Lee that efforts would be made next year to make direct contact with North Korean residents in an attempt to drive a wedge between them and the North Korean leadership and military.

In their report to Lee, officials of the Ministry of National Defense said efforts would be accelerated to fortify the outlying islands in the Yellow Sea, such as Daeyeonpyeongdo island, as well as to establish a new command unit for more effective coordinated use of the army and navy forces.

Source
i think kim jong-il saw the game "Homefront" and got inspired

now speaking seriously:
it would be good if the south korea could make the north korea to abandon the nuclear program and it will bring peace to them instead of making a new Korean war.

lets see how it will turn out
Belt: 10th Dan ; Clan: JollyR
Orgs: ORMO, Portugal Organization and T3AL
This solution would be excellent, but I fear it to be fanciful.
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
Talks about unification is nothing new from Korea, but it's a valuable breather in a troubled time.

Anyway, a rapid unification would lead to a havoc of technological imbeciles and a load to the southeastern Asian countries. I doubt if South Korea, Japan, China and other countries will be able to handle such a vast flow of immigrants just yet. It all has to be done gradually, which is probably what Lee is saying here: Preparations. This means they need to be ready in case a unification finds place, not really that they're planning a reunification.

I'm eager to see how this conflict develops, and if there will be peace. After all, this doesn't seem like the most unsolvable conflict, it's just a matter of isolation from a strong country. There are conflicts that are harder to solve, like those who deal with area claims of a country (Israel v. Palestine and Kashmir valley). I think Korea will be united again as soon as the southeastern Asian countries are prepared to aid the Northern Korean zones in matters of technology, humanitarian aid and politic openness. When that will be, nobody knows. Let's hope for a quick solution, but not too quick.
Somehow I think trying to talk North Korea into stopping their nuclear development will aggravate matters.
e.g. North Korea might think that the unification talks with mention of stopping nuclear development are a trap so that South Korea no longer has to worry about nuclear retaliation should they choose to invade.