ES Recruitment Drive
I recommend FX-8350 because it's the best value for multitasking and such.

in fact it is not, and even less in games.
And if you buy FX-6300 black edition it's pretty much safe to overclock it to atleast 4,0 ghz without harming the cpu even with a stock cooler.

if you knew as much as you try to pose with you'd know that clockspeed doesn't matter when comparing two completely different achitectures.
And radeon r7 360 is complete shit honestly. GTX 950 is just little bit more expensive and twice the performance and better drivers.

Show me one, just one benchmark that proves the 950 to reach double the fps of the 360. Also I overlooked the 370 in the shop. changed that on my first post

there's really just no point buying better cpu than gpu. If he's up to gaming, he doens't really need a good cpu for it

Again this is just stupid.
Last edited by Mongius; Mar 4, 2016 at 04:54 PM.
Got any problems or questions about computers or any other tech?Feel free to PM me any time. Lmod for Computer/Mobile Chat
There used to be a sticky with info like this, but it got deleted for some reason. Check out logicalincrements.com it has some stock build bases that you can work from.

Comparing their $600 build to Mong's, they use the i3-4170 (which is just a dual core version of the i5-4460 - though remember it will SMT to 4 virtual cores, and is a little more than half the price), and they use that spare money on GPU. They also use a more expensive mobo (with newer chipset), not sure if this is worth tbh, Z97 is a better base for upgrades than B85, but really... Not sure if its worth. The graphics card and CPU changes, I would say are probably worth, but you should check benchmarks. Saving $100 for the i3 is very significant on a $600-700 build, you can bump up your GPU a lot for that, which is much more likely to be the bottleneck. (I didn't check the finnish prices but you could bump the gpu to a 380x or 390 probably)

For this build either you drop the SSD or drop the HDD, it's kind of pointless to try fit both into your price range IMO, and considering you are running 8gb of ram just for gaming you can just disable pagefile if you roll with HDD.

TV I would not recommend for gaming, all TV have very bad pixel response time (latency measured in +10ms vs 5ms even for the worst IPS monitors), that alone makes it a deal breaker for me. TVs are usually a long way behind the technology curve (just think, maybe 5 years ago you would still hear about 1080i TVs, when did you last hear about interlaced monitors? Maybe 30 years ago, if at all ever...). Features like overdrive etc are ok for watching movies, but terrible for playing games. It's just a bad choice when we have actual monitors at reasonable prices.

About AMD CPU; I think the 8350 has about double the multithreaded performance compared to the i3 4170, but about 2/3 the single threaded performance. Not to mention it's more expensive and it's TDP is off the charts.

Juha if you want to stretch your budget even further, check local websites and sellers for prices that are lower than you might expect. It's pretty common to see someone selling off a GPU or HSF or case cheaply as they upgrade, and although you should be a little wary about wear on the parts (eg cooked gpu that doesn't work, if it's local you can get the guy to show you furmark or whatever to be sure) if you can snag a high end r9 or 9xx within your budget then it would be worth it.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Mongius, How it is stupid? For example G4520 has two pretty powerful cores that is enough to render maps in the recent games and everything but some games like FC4 won't boot up on 2 core cpus.

C'mon. It's obvious that GTX 950 is better...

Last edited by hunter; Mar 4, 2016 at 05:11 PM.
"raawr says the dinosaur right?"
~◆~
[OSHI,TA,OoT,RMO]
and they use that spare money on GPU

I chose the i5 over the i3 because OP said he wants it to last as long as possible and that he doesnt need maximum graphics. Over the course of, lets say, 5 years with the i5 he would need to replace his Gpu once, maybe twice to keep up with the latest titles. However with an i3 he would need to change that one too atleast once along with the GPU, resulting in spending potentially more money in the end.
The keypoint is to buy a strong CPU and replace the GPU with midrange GPUs every 2 to 3 generations. Furthermore, more and more titles utilize the full 4 physical cores, resulting in better in eventuelly more fps.
They also use a more expensive mobo (with newer chipset), not sure if this is worth tbh, Z97 is a better base for upgrades than B85

Imo spending tons on a Mobo is pointless when you don't overclock or fully utilize every port on your board. It doesn't make a difference in games at all with the selected CPUs.
TV I would not recommend for gaming, all TV have very bad pixel response time (latency measured in +10ms vs 5ms even for the worst IPS monitors), that alone makes it a deal breaker for me. TVs are usually a long way behind the technology curve (just think, maybe 5 years ago you would still hear about 1080i TVs, when did you last hear about interlaced monitors? Maybe 30 years ago, if at all ever...). Features like overdrive etc are ok for watching movies, but terrible for playing games. It's just a bad choice when we have actual monitors at reasonable prices.

Amen.
About AMD CPU; I think the 8350 has about double the multithreaded performance compared to the i3 4170, but about 2/3 the single threaded performance. Not to mention it's more expensive and it's TDP is off the charts.

Besides the ridiculous TDP, how many things really utilize 8 cores beside benching programs and winRAR/7Zip?. Singlecore performance is what matters for gaming.
check local websites and sellers for prices that are lower than you might expect

I didn't concider this in the first place, but that is actually a nice thing to do. I got my 280X for about 120$ from a local private seller. On the other hand OP would need to educate himself about the pc market right now, which he stated to don't know anything about so I limited myself to Jimm's

@Hunter, GPUboss is paid by Nvidia. Also that is a synthetic benchmark which provides zero useful informations but the raw power (16 more rops compared to the 360)

some games like FC4 won't boot up on 2 core cpus.

I didn't concider a dualcore once in the build, it was just a comparison in power, making this point obsolete
Last edited by Mongius; Mar 4, 2016 at 05:20 PM.
Got any problems or questions about computers or any other tech?Feel free to PM me any time. Lmod for Computer/Mobile Chat
950 is at the pricepoint of the 370 (though 370 is still a little cheaper).
750 is at the pricepoint of the 360

You shouldn't talk about swapping a 360 for a 950 because they don't cost the same in the first place, if Mong is only budgeting $100 for a GPU you can't squeeze in a $150 card.

For the record, FC4 runs fine on dual core...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3TTbIGvyug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miVVHXrAGeM

i3 vs i5 the only thing that changes is multithreaded performance. You move from 4 vcore to 8 vcore. Really, I find it hard to make an argument that it's worth it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45dXacFxqfk
I'm not convinced at all that it's worth. Although you say that it will make the component last longer, I'm not too sure about that.
Last edited by ImmortalPig; Mar 4, 2016 at 05:32 PM.
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
950 is at the pricepoint of the 370 (though 370 is still a little cheaper).
750 is at the pricepoint of the 360

You shouldn't talk about swapping a 360 for a 950 because they don't cost the same in the first place, if Mong is only budgeting $100 for a GPU you can't squeeze in a $150 card.

For the record, FC4 runs fine on dual core...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3TTbIGvyug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miVVHXrAGeM

I'm pretty sure that i3 series doesn't have any issues when it comes to booting something up. If it's something like pentium series then it may have. Sure it runs fine once you get it booted up with something like pentium with 2 core cpus/2 threads.

Mongius was arguing between 360 and GTX 950. But when it comes to 370 and GTX 950 then the performance and price is about the same..

So yeah, he should get r7 370 or GTX 950.
Last edited by hunter; Mar 4, 2016 at 06:18 PM.
"raawr says the dinosaur right?"
~◆~
[OSHI,TA,OoT,RMO]
Originally Posted by hunter View Post
I'm pretty sure that i3 series doesn't have any issues when it comes to booting something up. If it's something like pentium series then it may have. Sure it runs fine once you get it booted up with something like pentium with 2 core cpus/2 threads.

2 cores is 2 cores tho. Pentium was actually the first desktop series to hyperthread, unless I'm forgetting one :^)

SkulFuk Moderated Message:
Pentium 4 was the first desktop/consumer chip with it
Xeons had it first however (at the time Xeons were quite popular for high end home builds due to HT & P4s being generally terrible)

Originally Posted by hunter View Post
Mongius was arguing between 360 and GTX 950. But when it comes to 370 and GTX 950 then the performance and price is about the same..

So yeah, he should get r7 370 or GTX 950.

Won't fit into Mong's build, he's already pushing the limit of the budget, so he'd have to downgrade something (*cough* cpu *cough*) which he doesn't like the sound of. He makes a good case, but I don't agree.
Last edited by SkulFuk; Mar 4, 2016 at 09:15 PM.
Just going to mention this here: I am banning certain benchmarks from this sub forum, namely: Passmark, GPU/CPUBoss and others like so. If you have any recommendations for others that should be blacklisted, PM them to me. Will be adding this to the rules tonight.
Originally Posted by Kyure View Post
Just going to mention this here: I am banning certain benchmarks from this sub forum, namely: Passmark, GPU/CPUBoss and others like so. If you have any recommendations for others that should be blacklisted, PM them to me. Will be adding this to the rules tonight.

lol why ban synthetic benchmarks? They are useful for comparing similar architecture. Could you not, this is a super dumb thing to do mate...
If you are upset with it, feel free to PM me.

Keep the discussion on his PC going.
Last edited by Kyure; Mar 6, 2016 at 02:57 AM.