ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
An example mod to fix some issues
Okay so I used to code rigid/softbody physics and I was quite good at collision detection and contact generation (even invented a novel algorithm based on minkowski differences/sums and simplices that generalizes EPA/MPR/GJK for distance measurement/interference detection/TOC, etc) for convex geometry.

Anyway, the point is, so many years ago I noticed something about collision detection/contact generation and the constraint solver used in ODE and the capsule legs in toribash.

I subsequently made a few mods that changed the legs to boxes and had much higher gravity/forces and they pretty much never glitch (though item mods still glitch significantly). We've played these mods thousands of times (many very experienced players).

The gist of it is, the capsule collisions are crap and causes glitching (which I, and not only me see virtually every day). Replace them with boxes, please.

Anyway, for some example mods of box legs:
qcranesport.tbm (very old, incredibly difficult but super fast)
qaikido.tbm (this is new, very simple and basically just aikido)

A few other minor suggestions:
1) DMs allowed AFTER fracs, because the logic there is retarded, I would suggest that a fracd joint have its DM threshold halved after being fracd and then be able to DM still, or something similar.

2) Okay, this is a REALLY simple one, how about an optional timer for free play (it could be useful for practice or testing mods, maybe someone even writes some good lua scripts for AI)? I found trying to test mods in free play kind of pointless, maybe someone doesn't have an internet connection currently and want to sort of "play" toribash still.

PS.
Please don't try to argue about how "working" the capsule legs are. They don't look much better, it's inconsistent (the arms are boxes, for instance) and when it glitches the replay/game is ruined.
-----
Oh yeah, just wanted to mention, don't necessarily have to change default tori. But, you could possibly have variations of common mods with box legs, as a simple alternative. Of course, if they're not "official" or "popularized" people don't really give a shit.

Anyway, I'll be just another one of those experienced players who actually know a thing or two, to quit toribash, because it's basically garbage and hasn't had an improvement or fix in about 10 years (except the replay speed thing, which I happened to suggest, btw).
Last edited by q12a; Apr 10, 2017 at 03:10 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump