Ranking
Original Post
Building a gaming setup in a week or two.
Ok after doing some research and asking around a bit. This is what I've got.

CLICK HERE TO SEE IT

List is missing GPU, that's because I'll be buying a used Radeon R9 280x, I was thinking about getting a 290x, however, it heats way more, is a bit more expensive and I wouldn't be able to use it to its full potential anyway. Not in the next few years at least.

So yeah

tl;dr

MotherBoard:
MSI 970 GAMING, 970+SB950, DualDDR3-1866, SATA3, RAID, USB 3.0, ATX
RAM: Corsair 8GB
CPU: AMD FX-8350, X8, socket AM3+, 64bit, 4.0GHz, 125W, cache 16MB, BOX
Case: NZXT Lexa S
Monitor: Samsung S22D390HS LED

All comments and suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

And no, I won't pay an extra 180 euro for 144hz monitor, fuck off.
~Rainbow Belt|[Tint]|Rank 32~
\:D/ RAINBOW PANDAAAAA \:D/
~GameMaster|BISH|GameGrad|ORMO|ToriPrime L-Mod~

ZinxGlowToastBondyLoxSwyneErth
[Bsns][Fr3styL][Colon3][One][SyN][Rvng]

Toribash World Championship 2011 Runner Up

<AlphasoniK> Kristis: What the fuck is wrong with you, rainbow loving panda freak.
Seriously, try to piss standing up for a change. No life girly pants dimwit.

I will reply in order of your list;

RAM: 1x8gb is inferior to 2x4gb, which is itself inferior to 4x2gb. By having 2x instead of 1x you double the bandwidth, and by going to 4x then you quadruple the bandwidth. DIMs with smaller amounts of memory also have less latency, so by going from 1x8 to 4x2 it's not a stretch to imagine you might get 5x or 6x the performance.
The only reason to get 1x8 is if you intend to upgrade to 32gb (!!!) which I don't think you really need. I think 2x4gb is a better buy if you want to leave yourself open to upgrades.

Mobo: all good here, MSI 970 is a good cheap buy.

HDD: Cache is a bit small and it seems expensive, but I'm guessing that's because of tax in your country or something. I would consider getting an SSD too, they can be very cheap (USD$50 for 120gb) so you can easily fit your most played games and your OS on there (windows 8.1 is like 15gb).

CPU: idk, nice. You might get better performance out of getting something with less cores and better architecture in some applications, but 8 cores is great in others, so it's a tradeoff but either way you will get performance.

HSF: Not much to say about the hyper 212, it's probably /the/ most popular HSF in the world. Personally I don't know if I'd trust it with the 8350 but it's rated to 180W TDP so it should be fine. You can twin fan it or swap fans if the need arises so I wouldn't be worried anyway.

Case: If it were me I'd go for something a lot simpler, but I see no problems XD

Fans: I dunno that brand at all, I would go for something from a more well known brand like Noctua, Panaflo or Sharkoon. But peek 44CFM is ok and the others don't make as ricey fans like that with LEDs and stuff.

Monitor: Bad response time, bad contrast, glossy finish, slow response time, low frequency. It's certainly not a high end model lol, but it seems like things are expensive on this site so there's not much choice. It will probably serve you fine, but I'll give you the same advice I give to anyone who's buying a monitor: try look for a good quality CRT locally, you can often find free or very very cheap CRTs nearby that will blow thousand dollar monitors out of the water. To me I think a good monitor is essential, because even if you have really good CPU, GPU, etc, if you don't have a good monitor then you can't make use of it. A good monitor will last a decade or more, unlike other components. IMO it's worth to spend good money on one (or look for a CRT). I say this example a lot, but the CRT I use is 160Hz, response time measured in ns, ridiculous color reproduction and contrast (it's a professional display), can display true blacks, no aberration or view angle distortion, great pixel density and fill ratio. Overall it's better than the best CRT monitors you can buy, and this CRT was free...

PSU: That's a tier 3 PSU and a very expensive one at that. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...tier-list.html
Check out list and try buy from tier 1 if possible. Again, prices in your country seem really high, but on ebay or whatever local website you have you can probably find a better PSU.

GPU: 280x is a good card, you can probably make use of 290x tho because your CPU is pretty good. Also check out the newer 370 which is an update on the 280x, I think it benches a little higher and runs a little cooler and is a little nicer on every aspect. There's also a 380 which competes with the 285 I think. Did you check out the 3XX range?
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Same things Immortal pig said, I would also reccomend an ssd just for your OS, it would make it boot up in seconds.

Ram: I'd recommend 2x4gb just as Immortal Pig said.

GPU: I currently have a R9 280x and it is a really good "bang for the buck" card.

Monitor: Ehhh, depends on what sort of games you're gonna be playing, high speed reaction time games woudn't recommend, but like with toribash, you can't go wrong.

That's pretty much it, good build.
Also here's my pc build if you ever would want to view it: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hvhGgs
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
I will reply in order of your list;

RAM: 1x8gb is inferior to 2x4gb, which is itself inferior to 4x2gb. By having 2x instead of 1x you double the bandwidth, and by going to 4x then you quadruple the bandwidth. DIMs with smaller amounts of memory also have less latency, so by going from 1x8 to 4x2 it's not a stretch to imagine you might get 5x or 6x the performance.
The only reason to get 1x8 is if you intend to upgrade to 32gb (!!!) which I don't think you really need. I think 2x4gb is a better buy if you want to leave yourself open to upgrades.

Mobo: all good here, MSI 970 is a good cheap buy.

HDD: Cache is a bit small and it seems expensive, but I'm guessing that's because of tax in your country or something. I would consider getting an SSD too, they can be very cheap (USD$50 for 120gb) so you can easily fit your most played games and your OS on there (windows 8.1 is like 15gb).

CPU: idk, nice. You might get better performance out of getting something with less cores and better architecture in some applications, but 8 cores is great in others, so it's a tradeoff but either way you will get performance.

HSF: Not much to say about the hyper 212, it's probably /the/ most popular HSF in the world. Personally I don't know if I'd trust it with the 8350 but it's rated to 180W TDP so it should be fine. You can twin fan it or swap fans if the need arises so I wouldn't be worried anyway.

Case: If it were me I'd go for something a lot simpler, but I see no problems XD

Fans: I dunno that brand at all, I would go for something from a more well known brand like Noctua, Panaflo or Sharkoon. But peek 44CFM is ok and the others don't make as ricey fans like that with LEDs and stuff.

Monitor: Bad response time, bad contrast, glossy finish, slow response time, low frequency. It's certainly not a high end model lol, but it seems like things are expensive on this site so there's not much choice. It will probably serve you fine, but I'll give you the same advice I give to anyone who's buying a monitor: try look for a good quality CRT locally, you can often find free or very very cheap CRTs nearby that will blow thousand dollar monitors out of the water. To me I think a good monitor is essential, because even if you have really good CPU, GPU, etc, if you don't have a good monitor then you can't make use of it. A good monitor will last a decade or more, unlike other components. IMO it's worth to spend good money on one (or look for a CRT). I say this example a lot, but the CRT I use is 160Hz, response time measured in ns, ridiculous color reproduction and contrast (it's a professional display), can display true blacks, no aberration or view angle distortion, great pixel density and fill ratio. Overall it's better than the best CRT monitors you can buy, and this CRT was free...

PSU: That's a tier 3 PSU and a very expensive one at that. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...tier-list.html
Check out list and try buy from tier 1 if possible. Again, prices in your country seem really high, but on ebay or whatever local website you have you can probably find a better PSU.

GPU: 280x is a good card, you can probably make use of 290x tho because your CPU is pretty good. Also check out the newer 370 which is an update on the 280x, I think it benches a little higher and runs a little cooler and is a little nicer on every aspect. There's also a 380 which competes with the 285 I think. Did you check out the 3XX range?

Oh look, someone who has pretty good knowledge and is capable of giving a legit advice. Yay.

First of all, I forgot to mention that I have an SSD 250GB in my laptop at the moment, so I'll take that out and put it in the new pc when I build one for games and OS.

Ram: Wonderful advice, thanks a lot. Instantly switched to 2x 4gb RAM. I somehow didn't even think about the bandwidth. I won't go for 4x2gb since I might want to have 16 gb in the end.

Mobo: Yeah, couldn't really find anything better in regards of price/quality.

HDD: Yeah, taxes in lithuania sucks. However, I'll look for a better alternative. And as I said before, I have SSD.

CPU: True, I am well aware that 8 cores are not really used to their full potential at the moment. However, you won't get anything better nowhere close to this price range. If you find an Intel product which can perform equally as 8350, you'll have to pay extra 180 euro or so(checked that myself), so what the fuck.

This is mostly an investment to the future, when Direct x12 will come out, it will use all the cores pretty damn well and that's when 8 core amd products will shine. Or atleast I hope they will.

HSF: Yeah should be fine.

Case: Sorry, I like fancy stuff.

Fans: Since the case is with a window, I want it to look fancy and stuff with those blue leds. \o/

PSU: Hm, alright. I'll try to find a better alternative.

GPU: 3** series are relatively new and I can't even find the products in my country, lol.

290x is like 100 euro more than 280x and I am absolutely fine with playing games at high and not ultra.

However, I'll consider getting 290x if I find a reasonable price. Just found one for 249 Euro as I am writing this and dayum that's a horny deal. My friend managed to get one for 200euro which is a ridiculous deal, of course, it only has one fan and this one has three. Hnnggg.

Thanks for the great reply, man.

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Same things Immortal pig said, I would also reccomend an ssd just for your OS, it would make it boot up in seconds.

Ram: I'd recommend 2x4gb just as Immortal Pig said.

GPU: I currently have a R9 280x and it is a really good "bang for the buck" card.

Monitor: Ehhh, depends on what sort of games you're gonna be playing, high speed reaction time games woudn't recommend, but like with toribash, you can't go wrong.

That's pretty much it, good build.
Also here's my pc build if you ever would want to view it: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hvhGgs

I'm not playing FPS that much. Mostly league, toribash and will start playing games like GTA V and other stuff when I can run it.
Last edited by Kristis133; Jul 8, 2015 at 12:59 PM.

<AlphasoniK> Kristis: What the fuck is wrong with you, rainbow loving panda freak.

Lithuania seems like a bitch for buying electronics, can't you road trip over the border or something? Lots of Brazilians get their electronics from Argentina or whatever for the same reason.

"290x is like 100 euro more than 280x", man that is crazy!
Found Sapphire Radeon Tri-x R9 290 Oc 4gb Gddr5 512bit for 249Euro. Do you think that's a good deal or nah?

http://www.skelbiu.lt/skelbimai/sapp...-21541294.html

PS. Rug is antistatic just in-case that picture annoys you just as much as me, haha. I asked the guy about it.

I think it's good priced. 249 Euro is 276 USD, and I don't think you could get one that priced on ebay lol