Ranking
Original Post
What's your opinion on how people ACTUALLY use the internet?
Well, I just had a thought. We have this internet, it's the most powerful platform in the World, pretty much. People can, theoretically, use it to solve their problems, get infos (the books, the tutorials, the whatever), get money via learning how to get money, obviously.

But here many people literally sit in social networks, watch stuff on youtube that they'll never apply to like actually benefit themselves (and they know it). Besides that, people do a lot of other stuff with low usefulness to them instead of you know, the bits that can benefit you as a person.

Sorry if I'm being too critical.

What's your opinion?

Or maybe you want to prove that browsing cat pictures is actually beneficial (how?).
It's similar to a Television, the user bought the subscription and they can use it however they like.
Some people use the internet for 'other' things, I doubt the internet isn't as beneficial as people make it out to be. For example watching a youtube video on the internet doesn't teach you shit, you just memorize it and wear the persons ideas.
Yes, it helps solve problems but meh, everything can be narrowed down to useless such as boxing (What's the point in beating the senseless crap out of each other) same goes for other sports. (What's the point in kicking a ball) It's just for entertainment purposes and that's it.
Life's not a waste of time and time's not a waste of life so let's stop wasting time, get wasted and have the time of our lives - Mr Worldwide 3:18
Imo, using the internet as a means of entertainment through social media or gaming is extremely important to society as a whole. It reaches every demographic, allowing almost anyone to be included. People who don't have a place irl can find a home somewhere on the internet, or make friends through gaming. It's also a great stress reliever.

Now, the internet definitely isn't being used to its highest potential, but that's just to be expected, which isn't necessarily a bad thing either. Each person uses it for what they want to use it for. For people who want to go above and beyond the norm, it allows that. For people who want to go on social media sites or play Candy Crush, it allows that too.
League of Legends NA: Locus
Well, it's true that internet is taking over some lifes out there. Really, there's people whose life is 100% based on "social" networks and games. But i think it's better this way. Not at all, but it's not "that bad" for me, because here where i live, it's just too dangerous to even stay close to your house's door. Really.
So my opinion is, before discussing about internet problems, we should discuss about REAL problems, fix them, and then we can try to handle this whole new world that internet is.
More than 2 billion people use the internet, and they don't do it just for one thing.

There's nothing wrong with using it for YT/fb. I know people who practically only use it for that, and people who only use it for research and work.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
life is too long, and people want to kill their time, and themselves, as quickly as possible so that they can rest in bloody peace. that's why we all look at cat pictures. the endless array of cats doing human things- it's priceless.
If people enjoy looking at (mint)cats, let them be happy. Although I appreciate it when people put to the Internet's thriving ocean of information to good use. There is so much you can learn, you can share your ideas, you can raise a hundred thousand dollars and create a company. You can take all of this knowledge that can be obtained on the Internet and apply it to real life situations. You have a literal world of knowledge at your disposal.

But most people don't use it.
That's kind of the beauty behind the Internet though. You can do whatever you want whenever you want wherever you want. The Internet instantly connects people all over the globe in a way that wasn't nearly as easy or personal before. It's your internet; you can do whatever you'd like with it. I think that's really fucking cool.
Last edited by Aracoon; Mar 17, 2015 at 08:52 PM.
Yeah but, that kinda turns it into something dangerous. Think about it, there's tons of weirdos out there, and they can do whatever they want too, and sometimes this feeling of "freedom" turns good people into weirdos.
Looks like there really ain't light without darkness, right?
Last edited by SakaiIchiiro; Mar 17, 2015 at 09:59 PM.
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
It's similar to a Television, the user bought the subscription and they can use it however they like.
Some people use the internet for 'other' things, I doubt the internet isn't as beneficial as people make it out to be. For example watching a youtube video on the internet doesn't teach you shit, you just memorize it and wear the persons ideas.
Yes, it helps solve problems but meh, everything can be narrowed down to useless such as boxing (What's the point in beating the senseless crap out of each other) same goes for other sports. (What's the point in kicking a ball) It's just for entertainment purposes and that's it.

In boxing, for some people it's about Floyd. Floyd's the dream. It was just... he was all alone, a man who lived in dreams. There was no one to share the game. He was the best, alone, separated from the rest. Something like that, anyway, he makes what 50 mil a fight and fights twice a year? That's big money.

On a more reachable level, however, I think boxing is widely there because fighting is a real thing and guys just want to be able to beat people up and beat people up if it comes to that. To defend yourself and to deal some damage, a KO is easier w/o glove than with, but same goes to damaged hands and face, mostly.

Pro sports are about money, aren't they?

If you'd argue that for most people who spent time doing sports, I'd agree, it doesn't bring in money so one should place his pick does he have what it takes to get to pro game and is he really gonna endure 2-4 years of solid training + then stay more years into the game?

Number of well-earning pro athletes to general population is very slim. However, moderate exercise may help with not getting tired and maybe raising work-capacity a bit (tho it's very arguable, because there's like a huge number of unfit hard-working people).

The point is, is what you do useful for you?

Originally Posted by chaossook View Post
Imo, using the internet as a means of entertainment through social media or gaming is extremely important to society as a whole. It reaches every demographic, allowing almost anyone to be included. People who don't have a place irl can find a home somewhere on the internet, or make friends through gaming. It's also a great stress reliever.

Now, the internet definitely isn't being used to its highest potential, but that's just to be expected, which isn't necessarily a bad thing either. Each person uses it for what they want to use it for. For people who want to go above and beyond the norm, it allows that. For people who want to go on social media sites or play Candy Crush, it allows that too.

I think it's a bad thing if you spend time very far from optimal. I hate sucking at life. F*** candy crush, if I could really learn to code (at high level, get them $stacks) & learn to pick up girls & keep relationship going, if that's my preference in the meantime

Originally Posted by Aracoon View Post
If people enjoy looking at (mint)cats, let them be happy. Although I appreciate it when people put to the Internet's thriving ocean of information to good use. There is so much you can learn, you can share your ideas, you can raise a hundred thousand dollars and create a company. You can take all of this knowledge that can be obtained on the Internet and apply it to real life situations. You have a literal world of knowledge at your disposal.

But most people don't use it.
That's kind of the beauty behind the Internet though. You can do whatever you want whenever you want wherever you want. The Internet instantly connects people all over the globe in a way that wasn't nearly as easy or personal before. It's your internet; you can do whatever you'd like with it. I think that's really fucking cool.

I can confess, I'm not. Procrastinating using entertainment which doesn't mean $shit to me like playing some game and realizing I still can't order all the sushi I can eat despite me being already old enough to be wealthy, if I had earned it... is like totally not how I'd like to spend my day

in fact I'd theoretically not like spending my time like this

So I watched one episode of them mythbusters on discovery. And the guy was like ~"playing fruit ninja with a katana in real life is more fun than the game" and it probably is, by a lot. So, if we're mericans (ok, I'm not, but some latvians make and really live in merica, why couldn't I?) and we can theoretically make enough money to like play fruit ninja irl or whatever better entertainment or better life in general, why do we let bad habits or whatever else prevent us from doing it the very most of time?
Originally Posted by JSnuffMARS View Post
I think it's a bad thing if you spend time very far from optimal. I hate sucking at life. F*** candy crush, if I could really learn to code (at high level, get them $stacks) & learn to pick up girls & keep relationship going, if that's my preference in the meantime

Explain.
League of Legends NA: Locus