Ranking
Original Post
Video Card for Shaders
Hi. I really want shaders but I was wondering about this. I have a dell inspiron 530S with windows vista home basic. Would a 512 MB Nvidia SFF (low profile) video/graphics card work?
Edit: It is a 32-bit.
Last edited by HARDYDX; Mar 9, 2010 at 12:18 AM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2nd black belt
Only one way to find out.... Open toribash > Options uncheck everything under shaders. And check shaders. If it runs proficiently then Go along and check more of the shaders such as

Bumpmapping.
Abient conclusion
Fluid Blood

etc. Although I don't really think it will run to well. :/
Breaking rules is bad
Ok thank you for helping but it still doesnt work out. :/
Would you have any further advice or should I stick with the Video Card?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2nd black belt
Maybe upgrade to a middle class card. If your computer's motherboard and power supply can support it I'd suggest a Nvidia GT 240 or 250.

AND, if your case can fit the card. (It may not fit though)
Usually, if it doesn't work, your Video Card may not have the capability to run shaders.
However, a budget PC at this current time will run Shaders, but not at satisfactory frame rates.

But, after looking at a similar model computer, I doubt your power supply of 250 Watts will handle it. 400 would be the minimum.
So actually, you may be better off buying a newer, larger computer, and upgrade that also.

Just so you know, I'm not a very good source of advice...
Don't read this.
Thank you for the advice. I know that my computer probably wouldn't be able to run shaders because it is the S (small) Inspiron.
Would how much memory I have free have any effects on the shaders?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2nd black belt
I'll assume you're referring to hard disk space. I'm not quite sure, but I don't think it'll have a very significant difference or even a difference at all. Toribash is mainly CPU for physics and GPU for graphics(shaders).
Don't read this.
Hard drive space shouldn't much affect performance. RAM might, but only incase you don't have enough.
Clan Blood Leader
Thank you for the support. I will take it to consideration. But once again, will the card I was speaking about earlier work with it? Someone told me that it probably will work if it is 512MB, but I am still not sure.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2nd black belt
You want a GeForce 8600 256meg or better to get a solid 60fps. Lower spec cards can manage 60, but it'll drop rapidly if flames are involved.

If you need a half-height card ATI's are easier to find, but their drivers suck for GL & the past few releases have repeatedly broke TB shader support, so I can't recommend them.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you