Ranking
well, back in the day the SNES kicked every consoles ass because it looked good, and it was reasonably priced.

I don't think it will be too expensive, I mean the 360 & PS3 came out like 5 years ago, hardware has improved. I'm betting somewhere around 400, but that's just a stick in the dark.

Still, IMO I hope they don't continue motion controll. It would be nice to see a nintendo system that *ahem "hardcore" gamers wouldn't complain about.
My seniority means you should probably just agree with everything I say
Originally Posted by madpen View Post
Nintendo better specs than Sony or MS, Keep dreaming Keep dreaming

They've managed it in the past, looking at numbers the Xbox would look like the fastest machine but IRL for number crunching the Gamecube destroyed anything else in the generation. So why didn't the cube take the #1 place in that gen? Cos numbers don't matter. Hell, graphically it was capable of more than keeping up with the Xbox & was superior to PS2's feeble hardware.
However using smaller disks turned a lot of 3rd parties off because they couldn't fill the disks with video (which at the time was a common way of making a game seem longer than it really was). Add that people assumed (and still do) that Nintendo target kids so the console was sadly pushed into 3rd place. Shame, it was a corking lill machine, far better than a half assed repackaged PC.

There's no reason why Nintendo wouldn't bring out a high spec machine, they made a good decision with the Wii. Most people didn't have HDready tvs so going SD makes perfect sense (tried playing 360 Dead Rising on SD? Good luck reading the text), it was initially cheaper than the others + had out the box backwards compatibility with EVERY cube game. Something neither Sony or Microsoft managed to do correctly. And of course they pushed something the others still don't understand - people like local multiplayer.

Originally Posted by ivolt View Post
well, back in the day the SNES kicked every consoles ass because it looked good, and it was reasonably priced.

I don't think it will be too expensive, I mean the 360 & PS3 came out like 5 years ago, hardware has improved. I'm betting somewhere around 400, but that's just a stick in the dark.

Still, IMO I hope they don't continue motion controll. It would be nice to see a nintendo system that *ahem "hardcore" gamers wouldn't complain about.

Snes may have done well in north America & Japan, but it was destroyed by Sega in Europe & south America. Still a good machine, but due to Nintendo's retarded pricing at the time they failed here just as they did with the NES (seriously - NES games started at £50 here, that's around $110 a game in toy money).

If anything it's the price that concerns me, if the controller rumours turn out to be true they could easily cost close to £100 each.

And yeah, they're sticking with motion control - y'know that thing the others have only just started to copy. ;)
However us Wii users all know that you're not limited to motion control all the time. Classic Controllers, ports for 4 Gamecube controllers... The console & controls wasn't the problem, it was the people making the games forcing a single method.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
I wish they could have made a n64 controller for the wii :P

[Evil] is recruiting!

<DesiTwist> terty plays tb with the ghost turned off, uke turned off and uses that mouse with the ball in it
This seems like it would be something way off into the future. A camera on the controller, as well as a video screen? That seems useless. But, I suppose we are now clever enough to find something to do with that.

Seriously, though, a camera on the controller? That seems absolutely useless.

I'm waiting for Nintendo to develop a special sort of television that acts as a motion reciever as well, allowing for more precision than that little black bar.
[23:23:53] <AndChat|700625> Blue eyes ultimate dragon best card
[23:24:29] <AndChat|700625> You know the one with 3 heads
[23:24:39] <~Lightningkid> just like my dick

[11:35:40] <box> Hampa suck
[11:36:21] <hampa> not the first to tell me that today
Originally Posted by tertywerty View Post
I wish they could have made a n64 controller for the wii :P

Actually you sorta can. Retrozone made converters for old controllers. They don't do the N64 one any more (baaaw) but you can still get NES & SNES ones that plug straight to into Wiis.

Originally Posted by box View Post
This seems like it would be something way off into the future. A camera on the controller, as well as a video screen? That seems useless. But, I suppose we are now clever enough to find something to do with that.

Seriously, though, a camera on the controller? That seems absolutely useless.

I'm waiting for Nintendo to develop a special sort of television that acts as a motion reciever as well, allowing for more precision than that little black bar.

That's supposed to be the idea of the camera, it'll detect the movement so you don't need to rely on a sensor bar. The current Wii sorta has cameras in the controllers, though they only detect IR light at an incredibly low resolution. A camera would in a way have the same effect as an optical mouse that you can wave in the air.

On the upside the internal camera idea will make PS move look like a kids toy (which it is BTW, and it still looks like a glowing electric vibrator) because the moment the Move controller goes out of view the console predicts what it's doing. A some what good idea, but if you're playing with a few people it's inevitable someone will end up with their glowing icecream semi hidden - the Wii controller wouldn't have that issue.
(actually, the current Wii it doesn't have that issue - GYROS FTW \o/ )

It's the touch screen that bothers me. It's gimmicky - yes it's Nintendo we're talking about - but it reeks of "oh, people play games on touch devices" *adds touch screen to controller* "they'll love that". IMO it'll just get used for retarded crap initially, then forgotten about while pushing the price of the controller up.

<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Originally Posted by SkulFuk View Post
Actually you sorta can. Retrozone made converters for old controllers. They don't do the N64 one any more (baaaw) but you can still get NES & SNES ones that plug straight to into Wiis.

That's supposed to be the idea of the camera, it'll detect the movement so you don't need to rely on a sensor bar. The current Wii sorta has cameras in the controllers, though they only detect IR light at an incredibly low resolution. A camera would in a way have the same effect as an optical mouse that you can wave in the air.

On the upside the internal camera idea will make PS move look like a kids toy (which it is BTW, and it still looks like a glowing electric vibrator) because the moment the Move controller goes out of view the console predicts what it's doing. A some what good idea, but if you're playing with a few people it's inevitable someone will end up with their glowing icecream semi hidden - the Wii controller wouldn't have that issue.
(actually, the current Wii it doesn't have that issue - GYROS FTW \o/ )

It's the touch screen that bothers me. It's gimmicky - yes it's Nintendo we're talking about - but it reeks of "oh, people play games on touch devices" *adds touch screen to controller* "they'll love that". IMO it'll just get used for retarded crap initially, then forgotten about while pushing the price of the controller up.

The sega dream cast controller comes to mind.

[Evil] is recruiting!

<DesiTwist> terty plays tb with the ghost turned off, uke turned off and uses that mouse with the ball in it
Originally Posted by tertywerty View Post
The sega dream cast controller comes to mind.

Mmmmmmmm, sorta. Dream Casts were win no arguments, just Sega sucked at the time & it died. The controllers weren't that bad, bulky but not like the huge ass joke the Xbox had & the VMU had it's uses. It sucked for storage, but if you wanted to 100% everything you needed one so you could unlock stuff with the games you could play on it.

However I do have the same complaint as I would throw at the N64 controller - people forgot about right handed players. Quake 3 on Dream Cast was technically great, but the controls blew. Seriously, aiming with your left hand was shit & the UK got a bum deal on the DC keyboard & mouse. Granted on N64 you could swap the controls so you use your right hand to aim, but you then lost out on the additional buttons that were on the other side of the controller.

IMO Sony were the 1st people to get analogue console controllers right... Well the layout at least, the convex sticks are horrid for thumb slippage.

Regardless, none come close to the idea of a fucking touch screen parked in the middle of one. Note that it's a screen - not just a touch pad, so that implies it's going to display some form of control layout. That'll be great to try & hit the correct place each time without having to look at it constantly. |: Maybe they haven't realised that with phones you're actually looking at what you have to touch the whole time?

<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Originally Posted by SkulFuk View Post
Mmmmmmmm, sorta. Dream Casts were win no arguments, just Sega sucked at the time & it died. The controllers weren't that bad, bulky but not like the huge ass joke the Xbox had & the VMU had it's uses. It sucked for storage, but if you wanted to 100% everything you needed one so you could unlock stuff with the games you could play on it.

However I do have the same complaint as I would throw at the N64 controller - people forgot about right handed players. Quake 3 on Dream Cast was technically great, but the controls blew. Seriously, aiming with your left hand was shit & the UK got a bum deal on the DC keyboard & mouse. Granted on N64 you could swap the controls so you use your right hand to aim, but you then lost out on the additional buttons that were on the other side of the controller.

IMO Sony were the 1st people to get analogue console controllers right... Well the layout at least, the convex sticks are horrid for thumb slippage.

Regardless, none come close to the idea of a fucking touch screen parked in the middle of one. Note that it's a screen - not just a touch pad, so that implies it's going to display some form of control layout. That'll be great to try & hit the correct place each time without having to look at it constantly. |: Maybe they haven't realised that with phones you're actually looking at what you have to touch the whole time?

Sort of like the Nintendo DS, except of course, you're looking at it.
[23:23:53] <AndChat|700625> Blue eyes ultimate dragon best card
[23:24:29] <AndChat|700625> You know the one with 3 heads
[23:24:39] <~Lightningkid> just like my dick

[11:35:40] <box> Hampa suck
[11:36:21] <hampa> not the first to tell me that today
Bump yo.

Rumours have been confirmed by Nintendo & they're deffo going to be showing it off at E3.

<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you