Ranking
why use Mumble over Skype?
I'm not trying to be a dipshit or anything, I'm genuinely interested. Does Mumble have some features that Skype doesn't, or is it just better in ways that I don't know about?
mumble and teamspeak(which are basically the same thing) have the ability to have more people in rooms where they can talk than skype which has a 25 person limit. You can get around this limit by using certain commands but it is still going to end up being a lot of people trying to talk at once. Gives easier access to move from one channel to another which is basically like having multiple skype calls at a time and moving between them. On teamspeak and mumble this is easy and you do this by clicking on the channel you want to join. You can also make ranks and add permissions to them on teamspeak and I believe mumble as well, though I have no experience on mumble. In Nitro we used to use skype calls but our clan soon grew too large where the calls were no longer feasible so we switched to teamspeak and it works great.
That, and mumble is far less resource heavy than Skype.
collect snots from the nose
Originally Posted by Gynx View Post
That, and mumble is far less resource heavy than Skype.

this is the correct answer. Skype is great but it's a resource hog. also there's no push to talk on skype, which is dumb.
Skype used to have push to talk but it's vanished, absolute anus.

PC parts arrive Friday, I think or probably the first few days of next week so I'll hop on and lurk until someone speaks to me, I currently pay for a mumble server (a small one so I pay like $5 a month) so if I start to frequent this one more than the other I'll be more than happy to cancel my other one and send you a monthly PayPal donation.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[4:37 PM] ponf: y'all might think i'm not wild enough to send dick pics over toribash
[4:37 PM] ponf: you'd be wrong
uwu i wuv you uwu
joined it for shit and giggles, not much people around and only moatz's alive. Moved to afk room so I can enjoy some music, boop me via irc if you want something.
retired
Originally Posted by Powas View Post
joined it for shit and giggles, not much people around and only moatz's alive. Moved to afk room so I can enjoy some music, boop me via irc if you want something.

Mumble's been full of NO approved members all day, newer members not so much. It's generally Moataz who hangs out there and he's pretty fun to talk to though his friends apparently don't know how to work Mumble (how is that even possible). I maintain that you should join with buddies if you have the intention of talking - anyone can make temporary channels in Wibbles so you can divvy up rooms there.
#iam alone here
iam pretty much alone while everyone is authorized
iam not sadly
;-;
Originally Posted by Gynx View Post
Mumble's been full of NO approved members all day, newer members not so much. It's generally Moataz who hangs out there and he's pretty fun to talk to though his friends apparently don't know how to work Mumble (how is that even possible). I maintain that you should join with buddies if you have the intention of talking - anyone can make temporary channels in Wibbles so you can divvy up rooms there.

I don't suffer from the lack of friends and generally we use skype or ts to communicate if needed. I was merely interested if some of you would drop to non-auth rooms to talk but looks like you're confined to your private space.
retired
Originally Posted by Powas View Post
I don't suffer from the lack of friends and generally we use skype or ts to communicate if needed. I was merely interested if some of you would drop to non-auth rooms to talk but looks like you're confined to your private space.

We do actually come into the non-auth rooms - like I said, I've spoken to Moataz a few times when he's on. Depends on what we're doing, if we're talking about Toribash stuff or playing games with each other we're not going to keep an eye on who comes and goes. That's the reason I suggested not necessarily relying on us to come in and break bread regularly and to come with friends, it's a lot more useful if you look at it that way.