ES Recruitment Drive
Fine. I guess I wouldn't mind one of these, when they get cheaper. It's handier and easier, true, but what I meant in my post was -> why do we need an e-version of everything? Books are special. :<
|11:33| »» [shark] so you're saying that you just paid 80 euros for pussy
|11:33| »» [Quit] [x] shark [[email protected]] [Quit:]
Originally Posted by Dalir View Post
Fine. I guess I wouldn't mind one of these, when they get cheaper. It's handier and easier, true, but what I meant in my post was -> why do we need an e-version of everything? Books are special. :<

It's handier and easier? What makes you think that?

We don't have an e-version of everything. I don't see an e-version of my girlfriend.

An electronic system for books is a pretty decent idea, because it does save on a lot of materials that are used to create the books, and also publication costs. But, I still think they're a long way off before they're ever going to reach a standard where my sister would go out and buy one.

I agree with you that books are special, as I said before in my post. But I honestly think, a great eBook would be indistinguishable from a normal book, but the information/stories that fit in it would be for the allocated pages.
Originally Posted by veb View Post

We don't have an e-version of everything. I don't see an e-version of my girlfriend.

An electronic system for books is a pretty decent idea, because it does save on a lot of materials that are used to create the books, and also publication costs. But, I still think they're a long way off before they're ever going to reach a standard where my sister would go out and buy one.

I agree with you that books are special, as I said before in my post. But I honestly think, a great eBook would be indistinguishable from a normal book, but the information/stories that fit in it would be for the allocated pages.

With handier and easier, I meant it's easier to store a few books in one of those than to bring several long, hard-cover books, if you're traveling or something.
|11:33| »» [shark] so you're saying that you just paid 80 euros for pussy
|11:33| »» [Quit] [x] shark [[email protected]] [Quit:]
This is strange.

I've never ever seen any use of these stupid eBooks. I mean, haven't you ever picked up a book on a cold wintery afternoon and just curled up and read a book?

I cannot justify the means to use some electronic device with no... pages to read a book. It feels unnatural, it feels weird. It's like abortion as hampa would say.

Has anyone here even had any personal experiance with them? Are they easy on the eyes, and work well? What!!

Books will always have a special place in my heart...

EDIT: The only thing that I can seriously think that "epaper" will be of any use, is for magazines and newspapers that have a one off use clause. Like, buy the New York Times, and it updates every day - but can't display anything else over X pages and from Y competitor.

They're quite easy on the eyes, like I said before, reading on them didn't hurt my eyes after three hours, unlike my computer.

These are already being used for things like newspapers and magazines, if I'm not mistaken the kindle even has an RSS reader and web browser.

At this point I still much prefer physical books, and often will purchase a book that is availible free as an eBook simply because I can read for long periods without eyestrain.

One of the cool applications for these I've seen is the dutch edupaper project http://edupaper.nl/inhoud/welcome (site is in dutch). The pilot project offers textbooks on ebook readers, reducing the cost and weight burden on students.

Another thing to mention is the fact that you can zoom in on text, which is good for the elderly who can't read the smaller print books. These give them a larger selection of books without having to have a magnifying glass or large print editions.

In my opinion, this is a cool technology with some much needed uses, but I'll still prefer real books.
<~suomynona> TITS OR ELEELETH
Until they overstep the preference of real books over ebooks, I don't think this will ever get a reall market.
Why buy an electric device that holds books for 500+ dollars, when you can just as easily buy a paper book for less than 10 dollars?

To me, it's just another way for big industries to get their dollar.
Fonzie be with you.
Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
Why buy an electric device that holds books for 500+ dollars, when you can just as easily buy a paper book for less than 10 dollars?

To me, it's just another way for big industries to get their dollar.

They aren't $500+, more like $350+.

eBooks are cheaper to produce and buy, and there are several free ebooks availible online.

Did you even read the rest of the thread?
<~suomynona> TITS OR ELEELETH
ebooks are poop and evil! As a bibliophile I can say that there is something totally visceral about the act of holding a book, or owning one. Books are personal, they go with you places, you mark in the pages, they take up room in your house and weigh 10 tons when you have to move. I really hope these overpriced flash drives with screens burn and die a horrible horrible commerce death.

[/overzealoustanting]
Organisation of Awesome: Member.