ES Recruitment Drive
If I can get the 290 and the 380X for roughly the same price, which would be preferred?

290 is better on stock, I don't know about overclocking the 380X. As I said you should wait for the 960 ti to be released. Here is a nice chart of GPU power, it is based on its raw power, so this isn't 100% accurate for gaming

Also, if I got the new mobo would I have to overclock to get better use out of it, or would it's stock clock rate be okay? I've never overclocked anything and with my PSU and fan I'm a little concerned about pushing anything to its limits.

No, you cannot overclock the 6400. Intel are bitches about this. You can only overclock CPU's with a "k" in their name on a Zxxx chipset. The 3.3Ghz of the 6400 are nothing to be concerned of for gaming (base clock is 2.7Ghz but it powers up to 3.3Ghz under load). If you plan to do more heavy things on it like video editing invest about 100$ more for a 6600k and a Z170 board.

looks like you've got a china cracker there. Ouch.

EVGA really cares about their hardware quality, you got my faith on buying this.
Got any problems or questions about computers or any other tech?Feel free to PM me any time. Lmod for Computer/Mobile Chat
Originally Posted by Mongius View Post
290 is better on stock, I don't know about overclocking the 380X. As I said you should wait for the 960 ti to be released. Here is a nice chart of GPU power, it is based on its raw power, so this isn't 100% accurate for gaming

Ah alright, I'm just wondering because I found the 290 for $220 w/ a $20 Rebate compared to the 380X's $230 flat. I'm not sure how long either part will be keeping that price so I was wondering if you think the 960 Ti is really worth waiting with the prices as they are now.

No, you cannot overclock the 6400. Intel are bitches about this. You can only overclock CPU's with a "k" in their name on a Zxxx chipset. The 3.3Ghz of the 6400 are nothing to be concerned of for gaming (base clock is 2.7Ghz but it powers up to 3.3Ghz under load). If you plan to do more heavy things on it like video editing invest about 100$ more for a 6600k and a Z170 board.

I only plan to use it for gaming, trying to run things like JC3 and GTA V with high settings and a decent framerate.

looks like you've got a china cracker there. Ouch.

Yeah, my old PSU broke down and I believe it was a Corsair, I had a friend of a friend repair it for me for really cheap and I can see why now.

EVGA really cares about their hardware quality, you got my faith on buying this.

Alright, I will probably pick this up on Monday to see if it goes down any more for Cyber Monday.

Also, thanks a ton for your help with this stuff.

Also also, as far as Motherboards go, should I be going for an ATX board or a micro ATX board? My case can fit both, but I was just wondering if one is superior to the other in ways other than space.
Last edited by NotShadow; Nov 29, 2015 at 08:22 AM.
I'm not sure how long either part will be keeping that price so I was wondering if you think the 960 Ti is really worth waiting with the prices as they are now.

The reasons for the pricing are many. AMD wants to ditch the 290 and 290X so they can rebrand their Hawaii GPU's as 390 and 390X with 8Gb VRAM. The 290 will one day just die out like my 7970/280X. The 380X just got released so it's overpriced. When the counterpart product (960 ti) releases the price of the 380X and 380 will drop aswell by ~20-30$.

I only plan to use it for gaming, trying to run things like JC3 and GTA V with high settings and a decent framerate.

6400 is all that pleases your needs.

Also, thanks a ton for your help with this stuff.

np m8
Got any problems or questions about computers or any other tech?Feel free to PM me any time. Lmod for Computer/Mobile Chat
Hey, also want to add that there are pretty solid reports that Nvidia is releasing a 950ti, so if you don't want to spend as much, you could always wait for that c:
The 950 is just a crippled 960 like with the 980 and 970. Nvidia needs to fill the huge gap between 960 and 970 So there is literally zero reason to buy or make a 950 ti now. And even if they would, the 950 ti were a less-crippled-but-still-crippled 960. Because simply breaking parts of an already existing GPU is cheaper than creating a new one from scratch.
Last edited by Mongius; Nov 29, 2015 at 08:29 AM.
I added this bit to the end of my other post last minute but I was wondering if there was any significant difference between ATX and Micro-ATX boards besides the size.
Originally Posted by NotShadow View Post
I added this bit to the end of my other post last minute but I was wondering if there was any significant difference between ATX and Micro-ATX boards besides the size.

Estetics and amout of ports. I would only go for micro-atx if you want to have a small case. You won't have more extention cards than your GPU and/or an archive of HDD's so it really doesnt matter performancewise. ATX basicly just looks better in bigger cases since computers are art
Alright, so I've made a list of the things you guys have recommended, be sure to provide input on anything if you think I've made a mistake somewhere.

Mobo
CPU
GPU (For now)
PSU
SSD (To be bought whenever, low priority).

If anything goes down significantly in price on Monday, I'll probably pick it up (save the GPU). Other than that, thanks a ton for your help guys.
Last edited by NotShadow; Nov 29, 2015 at 08:52 AM.
eh, you do have DDR4 RAM laying around? otherwise search for a 1151 board that supports ddr3. That sticks listed in your first post are wrong, you simply can't use ddr4 on AMD boards (your current). Performancewise there is no difference between ddr3 and 4.

and i saw the 6500 is just 5$ more right now so go for this guy (only difference is some higher clock speed)
Last edited by Mongius; Nov 29, 2015 at 09:28 AM.
eh, you do have DDR4 RAM laying around? otherwise search for a 1151 board that supports ddr3. That sticks listed in your first post are wrong, you simply can't use ddr4 on AMD boards (your current). Performancewise there is no difference between ddr3 and 4.

and i saw the 6500 is just 5$ more right now so go for this guy (only difference is some higher clock speed)

I updated the OP with my actual RAM; I found the booklet that came with the RAM and the exact name and model. Good eyes on that CPU, I didn't even see it before. Should I also invest in a larger fan for my CPU? I've only been using the stock one that came with the FX-4150 when I bought it.