Toribash
Original Post
"player 1" Mod Bug
I found a mod bug while looking over some of my mods...

Okay, well first thing I noticed was that in classic, Uke and Tori both start with their feet on the ground (duh? stay with me.. lol) and then I just recently made a mod and tried doing the reverse of the mod and *gasp!* it doesn't work the same way in reverse as it does forwards!! I wonder why ? So I remember that sometimes Uke starts off a bit above the ground in some mods.. like back in the day I made 2 mods of super-strength characters with swords (vsca2.tbm) I remember being extremely annoyed that the second version I made where one has a kama (vsca3.tbm) ended up with this weird bug I couldn't figure out, at the time, where Uke starts off the ground about an inch. Well, that's when I opened up toribash and loaded the mod DefaultToribash.tbm and opened and browsed through the actual file in hopes for an answer to why classic would be acting differently than it & my mods.. and then I noticed that DefaultToribash.tbm starts Uke off the ground :o I never noticed before... but nothing in the mod file shows that he should start off the ground (i.e. feet are spawned at the same z-level, there's no engageheight, there's no engageplayerpos) and yet he still spawns above the ground every single time.. So then I opened vsca2.tbm and vsca3.tbm to find out what exactly was the difference between those mods and my answer was there...

To put this simply.. if you refer to Uke as "player 1" in a mod (which is what you have to do if you only want to modify Uke without modifying Tori) Uke will start an inch off the ground for some unexplained reason.. This makes modding a little bit more difficult because sometimes you want Uke to differ from Tori.. but you still want them to start on the ground!! Like for example, in vsca2.tbm the players start on the ground so their attacks can have momentum travel from their legs to their arms (if they know how) but in vsca3.tbm Uke has a severe disadvantage because if he tries getting momentum from his legs, he's now suspended in air! D: and all that's really changed in that mod (for the reason of differing Uke from Tori) was 1 wrist axis.. so why would that effect his position from the ground? It shouldn't. Anyways, it does, so I'm calling it a bug.
Last edited by DoubleDagR; Jun 14, 2009 at 01:49 PM.
/set gr 0 0 -30
Hmm well, I think this isnt a support question, more like a mod report or a discussion.
Only accepted mod makers can answer your question.

Vox sucks
[10:14]<siku> magnificent sparkling vampire
[10:14]<siku> i love you edward

Official minibash tester. Please email [email protected] if you have found a bug!

It's not a question.. it's a bug.. if you try to adjust Uke as "player 0" in mod files he starts an inch off the ground.. I put it in support because under support it says "bug reports".. I'm not quite sure why it happens nor is there explanation anywhere.. and the only real way of fixing it is with engageplayerpos but using that command makes for even worse glitches, especially in multiplayer, soo.. I figured if I posted it in support maybe someone would look into it and why referring to Uke as "player 0" while modding would make him start an inch off the ground.. although really noone probably cares.. I mean, did you even read it if you're saying

Only accepted mod makers can answer your question.

because there is no question;

Like for example, in vsca2.tbm the players start on the ground so their attacks can have momentum travel from their legs to their arms (if they know how) but in vsca3.tbm Uke has a severe disadvantage because if he tries getting momentum from his legs, he's now suspended in air! D: and all that's really changed in that mod (for the reason of differing Uke from Tori) was 1 wrist axis.. so why would that effect his position from the ground? It shouldn't. Anyways, it does, so I'm calling it a bug.

Thus, a bug report.
/set gr 0 0 -30
yup, i realized this too, when making several of my mods.

no idea why. but its annoying as hell. However, you can use engageplayerpos to fix it.

I found that on MP, anything in the first 3 variables are wiped to 0. last 3 are intact. so if you wanted you're engageplayerpos to be -1, 10, 0, 1, -10, 0 -- you can just shift all the env_obj and change the engageplayerpos to 0,0,0,2,20,0.

Aside from that, no fix that i know of. Still, post it in support, i've told hampa about several mod bugs, he says he'll try to fix them before the next release, but he has to know about them. Post in support so that he can have a "record" of them.
- its been a while
Originally Posted by blkk View Post
yup, i realized this too, when making several of my mods.

no idea why. but its annoying as hell. However, you can use engageplayerpos to fix it.

I found that on MP, anything in the first 3 variables are wiped to 0. last 3 are intact. so if you wanted you're engageplayerpos to be -1, 10, 0, 1, -10, 0 -- you can just shift all the env_obj and change the engageplayerpos to 0,0,0,2,20,0.

Nice find, I'll keep that in mind.. yeah it was crazy the first time I loaded one of my old mods and the engageplayerpos made me start at like.. normal starting position but then you instantly warp to where you're supposed to be.. it makes it so that you'd have no idea what your first move really looks like until it happens and I don't like that.. the ghost is like one of the best parts of Toribash :P Edit: I mean, for pros it doesn't matter if they know what they're doing, the mods still work.. but it could confuse some noobs

Aside from that, no fix that i know of. Still, post it in support, i've told hampa about several mod bugs, he says he'll try to fix them before the next release, but he has to know about them. Post in support so that he can have a "record" of them.

I did post in support the topic was moved ~_~
/set gr 0 0 -30
Changed title for you, sounds like an odd bug.

If it were fixed it might screw up a lot of replays, but yet it really needs fixing.
:D
It's a bug that's been around for a very long time. I've always worked around it by manually adjusting Uke's position.