ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
How to make textures transparent
i have searched and found nothing about making textures transparent
so can u plzz tell me how to make them transparent

(i use Gimp and paint if thats any help)
You have to use an Alpha Channel. Try Googling something like "Alpha Channel", there are plenty of people who can explain this better than me.
"Call yourself alive? I promise you you'll be deafened by dust falling on the furniture,
you'll feel your eyebrows turning to two gashes, and your shoulder blades will ache for want of wings."
make a spot not colored then save it as a .pgn... if you want it colored transparent do what 3vi1 said, then save it as a .pgn...
Meow, I am quite a cat these days.
Even though no one knows me, I know more about them than they know of me.
You mean .PNG, not .pgn. Last time I checked making black areas for transparency didn't work at all, but others appear to be able to get it to work.
"Call yourself alive? I promise you you'll be deafened by dust falling on the furniture,
you'll feel your eyebrows turning to two gashes, and your shoulder blades will ache for want of wings."
1.I use photodraw and save in png w/ option transparent.
2. use gimp and save as ".tga "(ex. JEPOYtga.tga)
it's simple like that....

edit: if you want to have a color . use transparency 80% and save in png... same procedure...
Last edited by JePoY; Jan 22, 2008 at 01:30 PM.
In GIMP, once ur done, make a backup.
With one flattened layer, add a mask with black where you was transparent (black IN the mask). Grey for semitransparent. Save as .tga, no RLE compression.
If you don't have this GIMP or photodraw crap and only have Photoshop, it's quite simple.

Make your 128x128 .tga
Go into channels, and make a new channel. (it should be called Alpha)
In this channel, black areas = transparent areas and white areas should be opaque areas.

When you save your .TGA, make sure you save it at 32 bits per channel.
»You just wasted 5 seconds of your life. Congratulations!«
[m] - 2/29/2008 - Never Forget
(using Photoshop) you could just colour the canvas and then adjust the opacity of one layer :/
@mapleleaf

In .tgas, adjusting the opacity via the slider will not work. It just doesn't happen :P
»You just wasted 5 seconds of your life. Congratulations!«
[m] - 2/29/2008 - Never Forget
PhotoShop is good but its hard to use unlike in photodraw, You will only click a option and transparency will be present.