Ranking
Can't we have a whole spectrum of mod types? All of them built around the striking system?

I like the idea of being able to have a dome or a dojo.
Well that's what I had in mind in the first place, keeping the mods with a dojo as our primary mods for competition and events, and offering a variation with a dome for players who want to have fun with it and jump around like scrubs. I don't see how that could be a bad thing, but Snakey wanted me to choose one or the other, which I don't really understand so I guess we'll do it my way and everyone will be happy.

I see a few solutions :

1 - since the dome is rather oriented on fun and the dojo on competition, we can use the point system WITHOUT thresholds and stick it on the dome mods, and keep the point system WITH thresholds for the dojo mods. So we keep the current amount of 6 mods, 3 casual oriented ones with dome and easier points, and 3 hardcore ones with dojo and hard points.

2 - we double the amount of mods.We keep the 6 mods we have now, and I do the same thing with a dome for each one of them. That's 12 mods tho, it's a mess.

3 - we keep the 6 mods that we have now, we had 3 dome mods and we get to vote if they have thresholds or no thresholds. 9 mods.

I think I prefer the 1st option, for the sake of clarity in the mod list and because it makes sense. The dome mods would be accessible and fun for the vast majority and would also be a good introduction to their hardcore version with dojo and damage thresholds. So the dome mods could be used for public rooms where people can learn and have fun without much consequences, and the dojo+threshold mods could be used in ranked rooms where people get to play for the win, where there's no place for mercy and ez settings, no place for walls to save you from your own mistakes.

Edit :

As for people who've been asking if we'll have ranks/tiers :

We'll have some if/when we become official (or maybe before actually, they'll be easy to deal with), but they'll be way less complicated than the tiers TW had. The main goal of those tiers will be to indicate how reliable a player is so new comers now who to ask for advices or who to look up to in order to learn some stuff.

I think we'll only have 3 tiers : beginner / experienced / expert. Exeperienced and Expert will be pretty close, the only difference will be the player's choice ; if he feels he's just a good player he'll be put in "Experienced", if he feels he can explain striking concepts, explain his style, and answer questions from beginners he'll be put in Expert tier.

Second thought, we'll have 4 tiers :
Beginner - pretty self explanatory
Experienced - regular players who understand how striking works, like they know how to move around and understand the gameplay.
Expert - experienced players who consistently win tournaments/tourneys/events or regularily have long ass streaks.
Master - expert players who gets to decide if he can explain core concepts of striking, aspects of his style/technique, help less experienced players.
So tiers won't be used for e-peen reason but more for a schooling aspect, so we don't have 8 arbitrary tiers and complaints like "but i'm tier Y and I'm better than Z player that is in tier X". They'll be purely used for practical purpose.

BUT, on the other hand, we'll have an objective ranking system, independant from tiers, solely based on the amount of tourneys and tournaments the players have won. We'll also have honorary titles and medal/cup icons next to the names of players who won big events and such. That will be our e-peen'o'meter.

@adam2332

I'm adding you to the memberlist !
Last edited by deprav; Aug 11, 2015 at 05:46 PM.
I vote option 2. I don't really think it'd be a mess. Just depends on how we classify each of the mods. The current system would work, with a few new symbols for the dome mods, or even one, 'd' or something.
everybody and their moms like the 'd'
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
Originally Posted by deprav View Post
I can't propose a dojo for 2 mods and a dome on the 3rd one, it's inconsistent and goes against the "federative" point of the org imo. And I don't want it ^^

And I disagree that Gravity is "too low", if someone flies away it's not because gravity is too low, it's because he pushed way too hard and didn't adapt properly.

Thing is most people who played wushu back in the days are used to ubber stronk comebacks with knee(s), or extending elbows+wrist (the kind of comebacks that suit heavy gravity) because, without limitation in space, they all took the habit to have matchs where you fight for 250 frames and comeback for 500 frames on huge distances. It's not good fighting/striking if you fight for 1/3 of the fight, it was closer from a jousting mod in which players have to launch themselves than actual fighting ; and as fun as it was back then, there are far more interesting things to experience and discover in a low gravity striking mod in which you're required to be somewhat subtle.

Striking_LG isn't wushu and therefor doesn't have to feel the same, it's strongly inspired because it shares gravity and turnframes, but it's not wushu. Low gravity should be a challenge and the dome removes that challenge.

I know you want to be consistent with the three mods, but if a certain condition requires special treatment then a modification might be needed.

Anyway, we'll just have to disagree about that one! ^^

How come no one is excited about the prospect of soft flags!!!
-----
Originally Posted by deprav View Post
Well that's what I had in mind in the first place, keeping the mods with a dojo as our primary mods for competition and events, and offering a variation with a dome for players who want to have fun with it and jump around like scrubs. I don't see how that could be a bad thing, but Snakey wanted me to choose one or the other, which I don't really understand so I guess we'll do it my way and everyone will be happy.

I see a few solutions :

1 - since the dome is rather oriented on fun and the dojo on competition, we can use the point system WITHOUT thresholds and stick it on the dome mods, and keep the point system WITH thresholds for the dojo mods. So we keep the current amount of 6 mods, 3 casual oriented ones with dome and easier points, and 3 hardcore ones with dojo and hard points.

2 - we double the amount of mods.We keep the 6 mods we have now, and I do the same thing with a dome for each one of them. That's 12 mods tho, it's a mess.

3 - we keep the 6 mods that we have now, we had 3 dome mods and we get to vote if they have thresholds or no thresholds. 9 mods.

I think I prefer the 1st option, for the sake of clarity in the mod list and because it makes sense. The dome mods would be accessible and fun for the vast majority and would also be a good introduction to their hardcore version with dojo and damage thresholds. So the dome mods could be used for public rooms where people can learn and have fun without much consequences, and the dojo+threshold mods could be used in ranked rooms where people get to play for the win, where there's no place for mercy and ez settings, no place for walls to save you from your own mistakes.

Edit :

As for people who've been asking if we'll have ranks/tiers :

We'll have some if/when we become official (or maybe before actually, they'll be easy to deal with), but they'll be way less complicated than the tiers TW had. The main goal of those tiers will be to indicate how reliable a player is so new comers now who to ask for advices or who to look up to in order to learn some stuff.

I think we'll only have 3 tiers : beginner / experienced / expert. Exeperienced and Expert will be pretty close, the only difference will be the player's choice ; if he feels he's just a good player he'll be put in "Experienced", if he feels he can explain striking concepts, explain his style, and answer questions from beginners he'll be put in Expert tier.

Second thought, we'll have 4 tiers :
Beginner - pretty self explanatory
Experienced - regular players who understand how striking works, like they know how to move around and understand the gameplay.
Expert - experienced players who consistently win tournaments/tourneys/events or regularily have long ass streaks.
Master - expert players who gets to decide if he can explain core concepts of striking, aspects of his style/technique, help less experienced players.
So tiers won't be used for e-peen reason but more for a schooling aspect, so we don't have 8 arbitrary tiers and complaints like "but i'm tier Y and I'm better than Z player that is in tier X". They'll be purely used for practical purpose.

BUT, on the other hand, we'll have an objective ranking system, independant from tiers, solely based on the amount of tourneys and tournaments the players have won. We'll also have honorary titles and medal/cup icons next to the names of players who won big events and such. That will be our e-peen'o'meter.

@adam2332

I'm adding you to the memberlist !

no def with you, go for first option!(Btw i don't think a dome is really needed for mg/hg but still it could be fun if resized correctly i guess)

tiers sounds like fun
Last edited by William; Aug 11, 2015 at 08:03 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Your messed up world enthrills me
Originally Posted by William View Post
How come no one is excited about the prospect of soft flags!!!

is it confirmed that we are going to get soft bodypart flag!?

WWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTT?!!!!!!!!!!1111
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
Originally Posted by snake View Post
is it confirmed that we are going to get soft bodypart flag!?

WWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTT?!!!!!!!!!!1111

not confirmed..but seems possible!

anyway, what does the "static" thing in body2 of modmaker do by the way?
can someone explain this to me? i dont really know what flags are in the first place.
i sell pocket pussies
[Ae]ther | cncpls | [OoT] | SR
Originally Posted by adam2332 View Post
can someone explain this to me? i dont really know what flags are in the first place.

example soft flag on crotch, you can't cause damage using crotch
soft flag on hands, you can't use hands for damage..boom taekwondo mod

easy enough right?
I tried to do that some time ago by using the trigger system and "collide with", no success ! but if there's an easy way to use soft flags we should try it asap