Ranking
What, for cooking or parenting? :v

also here have an attempt at drawing a dragon in a new way

because why not

it strikes me that the head is astoundingly similar in shape to an eggplant
<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol
Eggplantdragonbro is our lord and saviour.
|Opener by Xioi|#KillTheScootCork|
|Replays|
"Cool delfin med solglajjor" -Larfen
Sort of. I had no idea that my qi was parked neatly at 420 before it was pointed out to me, but after that, i figured that it was a great excuse to not play online any more. Plus, a 420th final (lost) match being against NutHug, who's both a supremely cool dude and supremely skilled player? I COULD NOT HOPE FOR MORE. :U

Originally Posted by Mack View Post
Eggplantdragonbro is our lord and saviour.

But of course, eggplants are noble yet ferocious predators, so it makes sense that a potentially sentient one would indeed be a lord and saviour, feasting upon all that is evil in this world.
Could you make a simple tutorial on how to shade properly?

"Dear reader, I hope this email finds you before I do."
WeooWeoo Shading is the hardest part of making heads i've noticed but it is what makes heads good i've also noticed.
"Do you explore the unknown or are you afraid of losing your throne?" I am Soon.
I believe that our fruity fella over there isnt exactly looking at making heads with his question.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Find the hidden shovel and uncover the secrets of my religion.
-snip-

10:17 PM <~Creati0n> GAS THE DUELERS
6:35 PM <&Fear> good job reta you are now the King Admin
6:35 PM <Typhon> Gj Reta god

Originally Posted by WeooWeoo View Post
Could you make a simple tutorial on how to shade properly?

Well, there are many ways to go about it, but i could certainly try to explain my own method, even if it may not always be considered "proper". :v

STEP UNO: UNDERSTANDING LIGHT
Most light sources are radial in nature, and as such, radiate light outwards in a uniform circle. In case of our dear sun, the source of light is so massive and so far away that rays of sunlight are basically parallel down here, which simplifies our task slightly in that we can basically call it an oncoming plane of light. But, regardless of how much we may simplify, you will need a good spatial sense to do it properly. EXAMPLE: A SPHERE.

boop

Light comes in parallel rays here, and there are three specific areas of the sphere we need to be aware of: Perpendicular to the light, parallel to the light, and half of the angle between the viewer and the direction of the light, which is the specular reflection. The perpendicular spot is actually mostly to guide us towards the specular reflection, since the perpendicular spot itself is actually not the brightest. The specular reflection is where the light gets reflected directly into our eyeballs, which makes it REALLY BRIGHT. On more matte surfaces, it'll be less defined, but it's likely still going to be where the object is brightest.
The ring around the sphere where light is parallel to the surface marks the border between light and shadow, and in reality, this line only gets blurred by proximity to large light sources (because the object will be blocking out parts of the light source for itself). I've marked the two spots here:

boop

Where the yellow ring from before is the parallel surface. Now, watch what happens when we turn that into light and shadow:

boooooooooooop

WELL SHIT. But mind you, this is something you need to build up a natural feel for, because doing this every time is a pain in the arse. I just wing it for the most part, and honestly, the "parallel rays" line is the most important part. If you have a good feel for the cross section of an object, it's actually pretty easy to make. :v

PART ZWEI: DRAWING THE ACTUAL SHADING
This is where practice comes in. I'm not going to bother telling you exactly how to draw it (partly because i'm not sure how to do that), because there's a lot of ways to do that (and frankly the only thing i'm half-decent at is cel shading which doesn't require much drawing at all). However, a few things to keep in mind:

- The colour of the light source affects the perceived colour of the object. Our sunlight is very white indeed (at least during mid day, since it reddens towards dusk), so colours in the light tend to be more saturated than the ones in the shadow, but note that they also tend to lose some saturation as you get closer to the specular highlight due to them being drowned out by the bright white light.
- Ambient light affects the colour of the shadow. Sunlight is extremely dominating, so you won't see much atmospheric blue on the lit side of anything, but in the shadow outside, you may want to add a bit of blue. Likewise, if there's a faint red glow in an area along with a powerful white lamp, the shadows are going to be reddish.
- CONTRAST. Don't be careful, go HAM. Make the shadows DARK, and the light BRIGHT. Make it ALL CAPS, not sorry guise i have to put a shadow here.
- Unless you're working in grayscale, don't just select black or white and use a low opacity brush to blend with the base colour, because that's not going to look nice. Be mindful of the colours you pick, because they do matter. Notice that in these here painty fruits, the shadows aren't just darker versions of the base colour.

THREE STEP PENALTY: one addendum or something
If you're using a light source that ISN'T the sun, just think of the rays of light as radiating outwards from its center. Also, standard drawing techniques still apply here; let your brush strokes follow the surface of the object instead of just randomly splorting everywhere, because unless your colour is COMPLETELY uniform, it's going to show.

I hope this disjointed mess helps, but i understand if it doesn't. :v
Of course, that'd be like you trying to teach people good manners.

:U

Nah, but really, that's because i'm bad at rendering, no point in trying to teach people what i don't know. While i can boil down things like basic shading to somewhat understandable terms, the fact of the matter is that i don't really think about it myself. Like, how do you ride a bike? You sit on it and tread the pedals. Even given this info, a child will likely still need to practice a lot.

sneakedit: oh yeah by the way i drew a thing related to dorf fortress

pants

From the dev log: "Our first official holy relic: the hemp trousers of the "First Orange" of a god of light."

so yeah hemp pants
Last edited by Shook; Jul 19, 2016 at 02:33 PM.