Toribash
Lol Mongius, I don't see how that part was "blantly wrong information" but okay. Liquid coolers are better quality coolers in general. From my experience some of those affordable/budget liquid coolers have performed better than some of those popular regual fan coolers around $40-$60.. Just because that site shows that those few cpu coolers have better thermal test score doesnt mean it's always the same, performs the same and performs better.. Who knows if those scores are even correct.. Also the scores could easily change. I'd not consider the reason "blantly wrong information" as the reason to delete that part. Because it was not.

I'd perfer any liquid cooler over any regual fan cooler.

Originally Posted by wibblefox View Post
Well just knowing it's 500W doesn't tell us much, maybe it is 5 years old low quality or whatever, safer to replace if we dont have info

Even if it was a 5 year old thing it could still easily push the hardware.
Last edited by hunter; Aug 31, 2016 at 06:07 PM.
"raawr says the dinosaur right?"
~◆~
[OSHI,TA,OoT,RMO]
Also at wibble, so what cooling unit should I get based on the prices?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SmallBowl] [fallu] [Moop] [Parrot] [SkulFuk] [Icky] [Sassy]
[Ex-MSquad]
Need help with any market related questions? Feel free to PM ME. <Powas> I've got a degree in 1001 techniques of masturbation
Originally Posted by DruggedPanda View Post
Also at wibble, so what cooling unit should I get based on the prices?

Depends entirely on what you want. Air coolers can and often do outperform closed loops. However the advantage of closed loops is often a large amount of thermal mass (the temperature increases less for the same amount of energy compared to a heatsink) and better airflow management (since you don't have to have your fans on the CPU you can move it to a better area). Also, liquid cooling is cool.

The hyper 212 is a very solid cooler and can handle overclocks. It is probably the most common HSF out there today, and can certainly handle the performance IMO, you can look at benches and see for yourself.

But if you just want a closed loop because you just want it, that's up to you. Parts are worth what you are willing to pay for them, and the computer you build should be the computer you /want/ to build. We can give you advice on performance or how to compare parts but it's your box.

Originally Posted by hunter View Post
Lol Mongius, I don't see how that part was "blantly wrong information" but okay. Liquid coolers are better quality coolers in general.

Even if it was a 5 year old thing it could still easily push the hardware.

About HSF: I disagree, look at the benches, make an informed decision. HSF and closed loop are not so disparate that we can't compare them with bench marks. If the HSF runs cooler than the closed loop at whatever TDP then it runs cooler end of story. You can make an argument about thermal mass or airflow or wanting your fans to ramp smoother or whatever, but if you talk only about cooling performance, then we have benchmarks.

Eg a H100i won't really outperform a D15, but H100i can keep your fans ramped lower because it has a bigger thermal mass and thanks to having a sensor on the fluid you can ramp from fluid temp rather than CPU (so if your CPU smashes out 80C for 3 seconds your fans won't spin up like crazy because your fluid temp will still be 22C).

About using a 5 year old PSU: yeah but reliability mate
If you have minions in your avy or sig DO NOT REPLY TO MY POSTS
The reason why I do not like that Mobo suggested by Mongius is because I plan on eventually having dual graphics and I would rather spend the money on a good Mobo now than buy one im just going to replace within a year.

[...]

I wont know the brand of the power supply until I go home however, but I think it is an older model. It however does work perfectly fine and is very quiet. I should probably have explained the purpose of this PC a bit better, but based on this info and this budet these items are good right?

(apart from the hard drive as i may get an ssd if i decide to get one) and still deciding if its worth it to have a higher frequency ram or not

Two points: One, I don't know of any SLI or CF build that will run on 500W, personally. For a mysterious 5 year old 500W PSU of questionable overall quality, if you're intending to SLI/CF later, you might as well replace it now, in my opinion.

The other: The average user will almost never notice the advantage of having faster RAM, so unless the prices are extremely similar, I wouldn't bother. If you're concerned about RAM speed, then go with 2x8 instead of 1x16 at the same or even slightly lower frequency, dual channel is (last I checked) an effective doubling of RAM speed. Notably, most people STILL don't notice the difference.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!
Originally Posted by wibblefox View Post
The hyper 212 is a very solid cooler and can handle overclocks. It is probably the most common HSF out there today, and can certainly handle the performance

True. If not one of the best and most popular overclocking coolers for it's price. This is definitely an option to go with, if not the one you should go with.

Also if you are going with SLI with that gpu in the near future, you really should get a new psu. I highly doubt that 500W can handle those gpus. You should probably go with something like 650W PSU or higher(if you'd like) just to make sure.

If the pc's hardware reaches the higher W than the PSU is or something else goes wrong as it being too old, it most likely will just shut down. I highly doubt that it will explode(sure there is always a chance of that happening but to be honest, i don't think so). Unless if it's one of those 2006 ish PSUs..
Last edited by hunter; Sep 1, 2016 at 06:14 PM.
"raawr says the dinosaur right?"
~◆~
[OSHI,TA,OoT,RMO]

HUGE ASF PICTURE HOLY SHIT

This is my current PSU that I have in my PC.
However I may just buy a PSU and hard drive and optical drive to complete the PC rather than use my old PC that way I can have both. Also because I guess my dad is going to give me some money to help pay for a PC so my budge should go up a few hundred.

I have about 4 weeks to the part list complete and I may or may not include money from paychecks I get from working during those few weeks. Which will be about $250-$500 extra

(i'd stick with the low $200 end though)

So if anyone would want to update the part picker list with a 550-650W PSU a maximum of 1TB mechanical drive (would prefer a 500TB drive though, not really wanting/needing a SSD unless you can find a decent sized one for cheap) and also a better cooling unit, might also upgrade to an i7 processor.

$1000-$1100 budget is probably my new budget
-----

So with some help I found some things to add on however I may still stick with the i5 processor rather than the i7
Last edited by DruggedPanda; Sep 2, 2016 at 02:55 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[Ex-MSquad]
Need help with any market related questions? Feel free to PM ME. <Powas> I've got a degree in 1001 techniques of masturbation
no offense dude, but you are still throwing money out of the window.
  • 6700K is way overpowered for an RX 470, downgrade to a 6600K and get a better GPU.
  • board is still a waste of money, if you really want to overclock and stick with the red/black theme then go for an ASRock Fatal1ty Z170. Exactly same performance for 60$ less.
  • SSD's are mandatory nowadays, even a cheap one will make everything feelable faster if you just put your OS on it.
  • H60 is not necessary but if you like it go for it.
  • Raidmax cases are mostly plastic and really shit to work with cause they don't care about their interior design.
  • 750W is overpowered, even for dual GPU, 650 is enough.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/C8YKpb
same price, superior power.
Got any problems or questions about computers or any other tech?Feel free to PM me any time. Lmod for Computer/Mobile Chat
Mongius is totally right, especially bout the SSD point, cause they are cheap and much faster and you can't buy things you won't really need, you have to invest in better parts

So, I've bought all the parts except for the GPU which I am buying tmrw. (wrong PSU in pic though, i got EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1 120-G1-0650-XR 80+ GOLD 650W Fully Modular)
I have already started receiving some parts, I got my case today and I'm expecting the rest of the parts to be in by the 29th.

If anyone is interested I'll post pictures of the build and also maybe some benchmarks (after i get gpu from mail ofc)
Last edited by DruggedPanda; Sep 28, 2016 at 12:03 PM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[Ex-MSquad]

So, I've bought all the parts except for the GPU which I am buying tmrw. (wrong PSU in pic though, i got EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1 120-G1-0650-XR 80+ GOLD 650W Fully Modular)
I have already started receiving some parts, I got my case today and I'm expecting the rest of the parts to be in by the 29th.

If anyone is interested I'll post pictures of the build and also maybe some benchmarks (after i get gpu from mail ofc)

But can it run crisis?
Valterain1 was defeated by hermaphrodite on Oct 17, 2015.