ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Alternative ways of control
I'd like to see another way to control joints, not because it'd be more comfortable to play with, but because it can often be a nightmare to click some of them. When the two players grab each other is not the worst, however. The worst is that the game doesn't seem to register collisions between different parts of our own body very well, and they overlap each other.

This is a nice example:

Err... don't even ask how that happened.

Another problem is that controlling the camera vertically could be easier. The only way to change the vertical angle as far as I know is to hold shift and use the arrows keys. It would be way nicer to control such angle by pressing the mouse wheel.

Anyways, the thing is that we need either to improve both collision and camera control, or give an alternate way to control the character. A small lateral representation of the character in a normal position that you can click would be a good option, for example. But please give us a way to control our characters efficiently.
Clicking with the mouse is the slow inefficient way of playing, use the keyboard & only use the mouse for moving over joints & swinging the camera.

If you use ZXC for joint control then you've got the shift key right next to you, you can either hold the right mouse button to swing the camera (holding shift + right mouse will allows for raising/lowering) or use WASD to move it.
TBH I have no idea why the tutorial was changed to mouse control instead of keyboard, just creates bad habits.

So yeah, ditch the slow ass mouse play & use keyboard for doing most it. Hell you wouldn't play a RTS using only the mouse... Well you wouldn't if you didn't want to suck. ;)

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
From a yet to be relased fl0w document let me quote myself:

"What I would like to see is a simple modification/addition, where we have a "doll"/Tori standing in the starting position, which we could alter the joint states on directly, on which we could alter the hands without having to rotate 180* around the fight or perhaps dig in from beneath with the free-cam to be able to alter that glute which is covered from almost every angle."

That could be done through a script thou...
Now doing recoloring for people not in the clan as-well, PM for more info!
PROUD OWNER OF THORN'S GOOD ENOUGH WRITER AWARD!
Hands can be awkward depending on position, pressing L on the wrist is usually the easiest option although the key is a bit of a reach without moving your whole hand.

Maybe something that allows you to move the camera 90А at the press of a key to speed it up a tad.

<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Originally Posted by SkulFuk View Post
Clicking with the mouse is the slow inefficient way of playing, use the keyboard & only use the mouse for moving over joints & swinging the camera.

If you use ZXC for joint control then you've got the shift key right next to you, you can either hold the right mouse button to swing the camera (holding shift + right mouse will allows for raising/lowering) or use WASD to move it.

TBH I have no idea why the tutorial was changed to mouse control instead of keyboard, just creates bad habits.

So yeah, ditch the slow ass mouse play & use keyboard for doing most it. Hell you wouldn't play a RTS using only the mouse... Well you wouldn't if you didn't want to suck. ;)

The default mouse may be inefficient, having to cycle through 4 states. But the game settings allow you to make it so that left clicking toggles between hold/relax, and mouse wheel toggles between contract/extend. Which is the same than the X and Z do, but without requiring both hands.
But anyways, even if we use the keyboard to manage the states, the problem remains exactly the same: getting the mouse over the joint you want.
It's much like any game, practice makes perfect. OFC having a good mouse is always better for accuracy.

Using both hands is still the more efficient way to play, when you click or scroll it's likely that the mouse will move (or think that it's been moved) making it hit the wrong joint; whereas that isn't the case with using keys. It's also a more "natural" way to get to movements quicker. Sorta like FPS games, WASD for movement, use your little-finger for shift, thumb for space (if you do speed turns) and you can easily get to the ZXC keys since they're also within finger range.

It honestly is the best arrangement for playing TB. Sure mouse is doable, and some people do play like that. But if you've ever seen someone who does all their turns in a couple of seconds & hits space - they're playing keyboard.

One you get the hang of it you'll see what I mean, and instead of yelling about controls you'll be yelling at people for taking too long ending their turn. ;)

A great example of why other control methods aren't as good is TB Wii. It's playable, but moving through the joints takes longer, can be harder to get to where you want & makes you wish you could just use the Wii Remote as a pointer instead.

<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
It's much like any game, practice makes perfect. OFC having a good mouse is always better for accuracy.

Using both hands is still the more efficient way to play, when you click or scroll it's likely that the mouse will move (or think that it's been moved) making it hit the wrong joint; whereas that isn't the case with using keys. It's also a more "natural" way to get to movements quicker. Sorta like FPS games, WASD for movement, use your little-finger for shift, thumb for space (if you do speed turns) and you can easily get to the ZXC keys since they're also within finger range.

It honestly is the best arrangement for playing TB. Sure mouse is doable, and some people do play like that. But if you've ever seen someone who does all their turns in a couple of seconds & hits space - they're playing keyboard.

One you get the hang of it you'll see what I mean, and instead of yelling about controls you'll be yelling at people for taking too long ending their turn. ;)

A great example of why other control methods aren't as good is TB Wii. It's playable, but moving through the joints takes longer, can be harder to get to where you want & makes you wish you could just use the Wii Remote as a pointer instead.

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. I have no problem clicking joints in normal circumstances. Even with the little time I've been playing I can finish opening moves that involve more than 70% of my joints before half of the turn time has passed, without missing a single click. The problem for which I made this thread is that sometimes the joint you want to click is hidden totally or partially inside others, or otherwise hard to reach due to any reason. When that happens, it doesn't matter whether you are using mouse, keyboard or whatever. If the mouse can't get over them, you can't modify them by any means.
Hell you wouldn't play a RTS using only the mouse... Well you wouldn't if you didn't want to suck. ;)

I would if it was turnbased with enough time. But yeah, the camera is the problem i have, when joints get stuck in eachother or your body is just messed up it can be really hard to press the right joint.
on first picture it shows keyboard only control scheme

you can also use zxcv, tho you will had to hold x first and then select joint, for example x9 will hold your right shoulder and x+5 will hold your torso
so shift and x are used as modifer key.

awesome

so with that scheme noobclap will be: *, -, 2, v ;
shovel will be: .ins, 7,9,2, +77, +99, 2,

and so on. i can imagine that some people will actually play like this ;p i will give it a try

on second one mini schematic tori doll, so you change joints with mouse there
and nevermind third, since i'm too lazy to cut it off.

Last edited by snake; Dec 9, 2012 at 10:28 PM.
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
I really don't see a problem with the current system/interface...

On the odd occasion your joints will get trapped inside your other joints, but often enough that's your own fault or due to your opponent using a crushing move.

If grabbing is involved just press v until all grabs are undone.

I really don't see a point to any change.
She/They

Yeah, I only don't like erthtkv2 because of the mod's name. Make it "tkv2," and the mod will instantly become more popular. This is a valid reason as the name of the mod is still an important feature that no one seems to have yet discussed.