ES Recruitment Drive
Caring about how major changes in the government effect your life has nothing to do with nationalism.

For instance, I'm not a fan of the USA. But I'm still going to vote when I can.
Hey. Sup
Yeah, I just sort of realized I was thinking patriotism. But I just googled, and the words are basically interchangeable.

Also, I mentioned that it was an extreme. I'm not a big fan of the US either, but I will vote. I understand that you don't have to be a hardcore patriot to vote.
Thanks.
Originally Posted by jxc1013 View Post
Well if you didn't care whatsoever about your country, I would assume that your interest in the way it governs would exist accordingly.

How is considering nationalism useless not caring about how you are governed or even about your country?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nationalism

Read up.
Buy TC for a great price here! http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=240345
Buy VIP and Toriprime for a great price here! http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=237249

Hey look more than two lines.
Nationalism is not the same as patriotism. A patriot shows national pride in moderation.
A nationalist is more radical.
Nationalism has its pluses and minuses. It created modern day Europe basicly. It also caused wars. In fact it led up to World War I. A nationalistic organization called the Black Hand Soceity from Serbia(while it was part of Austro-Hungarian Empire) along with the majority of Serbia wanted there own country, due to their culturally Serbian population. Therefore the nationalist Black Hand member, Gabril Princip, assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand sparking World War I.
DAMN.
nationalism is great.

if you don't have something bigger to be a part of, then surely you would feel quite small.
Its good to have nationalism.... but not to make that issue bigger than that to get to a war...
Last edited by kareem98; Jan 28, 2011 at 09:10 AM.
◕ ‿‿ ◕
Nationalism is a concept that people just do not get, hence the past couple of posts. Nationalism breeds war, imperialism through acts of russianization(process of moving people to a captured territory and forcing them to breed after exterminating most locals.) and nazis. Ideas of nationalism were spread by napoleon, they haven't been something we've been thinking all along.

Lets use several examples for this:

Ottomans dominate eastern europe, yet do not attempt to say we are better then you because we're turks, they just collect taxes.

Scandinavians: Its kind of obvious they didn't rush to battle thinking "im finnish/swedish/whatever bitch". Instead they killed and raped for money.

2 examples of nationalism:
Nazi germany, hitler looked to exterminate everything that wasn't the nationality he defined was "perfect."

Serbian invasion of bosnia: they werr engaging in ethnic cleansing, so to speak. Killing in the name of preserving their nationality in an area.

I'd add more but its 4:20 am and i'm on my phone
Hoss.
Dictionary.com lists the second definition as:
devotion and loyalty to one's own nation; patriotism.

:/
It then goes to list chauvinism, which is the extreme ofc. Also, the thesaurus lists patriotism as a synonym.

So nationalism is just the extremist version of patriotism?
Last edited by jxc1013; Jan 26, 2011 at 12:53 PM.
Thanks.
Originally Posted by jxc1013 View Post
So nationalism is just the extremist version of patriotism?

yeah. It's worse then patroitism in actions but better than racism ofc
I guess a good way to explain it is that patriotism is loving your country, while nationalism is believing your country is superior to all others.

It's the difference between self esteem and smugness.
Hey. Sup