Toribash
Original Post
Suicide
Note: This thread may have been made before, but I am not going to look through all the pages to dig it up.

Suicide. We've all heard of it, and we've all forged a view on this very proverbial subject. I would like to discuss this to see how different people perceive it, and possibly alter my own perception of it. Task one: Your views on suicide in general.

Kids all over the world kill them selves. But over what!? It really gets to me on how people kill themselves for no good reason. Hell, I don't even think that there is a good reason to take your own life. Let me give you an example, let's say someone's parents are having problems, and fight every night, their dad is an alcoholic, but loves them very much., and their in middle school, failing. They are not very popular in school and only have two or so friends. They are very good at painting and have potential to be the best artist to this day. They feel like life isn't worth living. They end up committing suicide.

Now this is fucking sad. Even though I made this up, it is realistic. I for one, have experienced some of these problems and conquered them, because in reality, that's what life is about. Problems, and solving them. Task two: Evaluate the situation, what should the kid have done, instead of committing suicide.

Now check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_suicide_rate

Number 99 is Iran. This is a chart from I don't even know when, but it seems very accurate, here is a fact(or a few) about Iran(from 2005):
http://www.iranfocus.com/en/?option=...k=view&id=1304

Yeah, read the big blue text. Task three: Think that over, Iran is on page 99, and look at their suicide rate. People have it so much better in let's say the U.S, and yet take their own lives. I have a friend, who I talked out of killing herself. She had NOTHING wrong with her life that could lead her to suicide. She is now happy and okay. But really, what the fuck!? Little kids in Iran have no shoes, and these spoiled American kids( I live in the U.S, by the way) want to kill themselves over nothing. On the side, I notice how they bitch and moan and disrespect their parents. I may get into that on another thread.

Task four: Add anything that you like.

This whole task thing just makes things easy. Do not feel obligated to use it.
Last edited by Cloneone1; Jan 30, 2011 at 03:56 AM.
I agree on the subject of suicide and how it makes now sence why people would do it. Some kids commit it for being "bullied" at school and in realization, they will be pushing around the "bullies" because they probly make better grades and understand and remember the stuff they get tought. They will probly have a way better life then the so called bullies and have more money but still do what they love. Suicide is overrated, just don't do it, times will get better.
|Blue Belt|Selling Chrome Stuff|Pokemon Card Collector|
[Atlantic], it's the best Ocean.
This reminds me....iv'e heard a quote "Pain is temporary, death is forever" somthin like that/...
Hmmm interesting
I remember one time that i was goin to suicide my self in the bathroom while i take a shower i remember that day was all my whole family and i just grabbed a knife and enter to the bathroom just because i though i was makin' my mom unhappy and a lot things more but i dont want to talk about that this time its embarassing because that day take a shower before i just saw a movie with ma family about that (suicides,etc) and I began to reflect i thought about all the other people in africa iran as you said they have no shoes they doesnt have enough water and food and even in that conditions my country is number 80 WTF! there's a lot of people in my country who is unhappy because of their lifes and we are nothing to judge them now i can really see that commit a suicide is really stupid because as my sig say
''The biggest mistake you can make is to believe that life is really real when we are sleeping in the waiting room of life''
So why the hell would i kill my self! i really dont care about if i die or not I've lost all my beliefs so...
OSHI | BISH | TLL
Death is so sure of victory, which gives us a life of advantage
Requesting this thread be closed before it invariably turns in to a very disrespectful flame war.

1) No one should ever be put in a position where they turn to suicide. If they do, then society has failed them.
2) People commit suicide because it is the best choice for them. I am not going to judge people for making that choice.
3) ^
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
My views on suicide are: it's permissible, and is - at the very bottom - nobody's fault.

People are complex systems, all of varying mental fortitude, priorities, and ambitions. A superficial analysis of the person's circumstance won't necessarily yield a reason for his suicide (or won't yield one you can relate to/comprehend).
"Oh, look at all those poor starving people over there", Joe Doe may say, "they have it so much worse!" As far as outer environment goes - no question about it, but the only thing that matters is whether individual's own passions and standards are fulfilled. A flat screen TV, a house, a family - don't guarantee inner peace.

I think this poem exemplifies the above very well:

Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich-yes, richer than a king-
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine, we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.

-Edwin Arlington Robinson
Last edited by Odlov; Jan 30, 2011 at 04:30 AM.
I'll watch the thread. As gorman said, it is society's fault if anyone is pushed to the brink of killing theirself.

Its a touchy subject because some people are very sensitive to topics such as this.

There can be other situations like an elderly person with cancer, which I would consider acceptable for obvious reason.
Last edited by Hyde; Jan 30, 2011 at 04:24 AM.
Hoss.
Honestly, I don't really care for people who suicide. They gave up on the biggest challenge: Life. All though through high school I did consider doing it myself. I know how they feel.

Some of my friends have even tried doing so. But yet they still live. I believe those who fail on commiting suicide fails because they are afraid of death, they reconsider or even just wants the pain.

There are lots of people in the world suffering greater pain than those who do suicide. However some of those people that live in those conditions also think of living because they hope for a better future.

Once I heard of a pretty silly law. I think it was in the UK. If you attempt to suicide, the government will finish you. Pretty stupid law if you ask me but as I see it the law is to help those who lives in the pain and just wants it to end.
Toribash TakeOVER
<Colossus> ROFL
<Colossus> my friend got hit by a car
<Colossus> gonna go visit him. brb

[22:45:46] <Thorn> I know she likes it in the ear
[22:45:53] <Thorn> because when I put it to her mouth she turns away
[sigpic]http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac268/IAMUBERTHANU/552502_413931871977453_2050418562_njpg.gif[/sigpic]
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
I'll watch the thread. As gorman said, it is society's fault if anyone is pushed to the brink of killing theirself.

Suppose the society fulfills the needs of 99% of it's members, with only a few odd cogs here and there dissatisfied with the world and themselves. Who's at fault? Should everyone rearrange to suit the few variations from the norm? New variations will come up, dissatisfied with the new system.

Variation and diversity are one of the strengths of life, but it has it's side effects on individual level. Someone won't fit in somewhere, and suffer/die as a result.

Now, if a large portion of people die or kill themselves, then of course it's fair to say the society fails at attending to human needs.

Anyhow, Brave New World describes a society in which everyone is happy. It is chilling, though.
Last edited by Odlov; Jan 30, 2011 at 04:51 AM.
Originally Posted by Odlov View Post
Suppose the society fulfills the needs of 99% of it's members, with only a few odd cogs here and there dissatisfied with the world and themselves. Who's at fault? Should everyone rearrange to suit the few variations from the norm? New variations will come up, dissatisfied with the new system.

Variation and diversity are one of the strengths of life, but it has it's side effects on individual level. Someone won't fit in somewhere, and suffer/die as a result.

Now, if a large portion of people die or kill themselves, then of course it's fair to say the society fails at attending to human needs.

Anyhow, Brave New World describes a society in which everyone is happy. It is chilling, though.

Come now Odlov, we both know this topic comes up a lot.

I consider no losses to be acceptable. Perfection is something we should strive to achieve. The day we say "well, this is good enough" is the day we stop trying to improve, and the day that things start moving backwards.

What we have now will never be enough, and that too is part of the strengths of life.
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."