Ranking
Original Post
@ES, do shit
This is the events board.

There are no active events. Anyone else remember the days when there were at least 3 current ES events running at once? The suggestion is simple, "start doing shit".

ES, pull your socks up. Events inspire activity (=more active playerbase), so start producing more events..

Staff response:
Originally Posted by Icky
Hi guys.

Point 1: It's the holidays for us too. We have lives.

Point 2: we've lost a few ES due to point one and real life factors outside of thiose.

Point 3: We have lives. (A repeat, but one that should never be forgotten)

Point 4: Users are free to do their own too.

Point 5: We have Christmas ones for Christmas. Pushing out events that will take up time and resources is a silly thing to do.

Point 6: We have bigger, non-Christmas events on the list that also take our time.

We felt that it was better to do higher quality events more often than recycled garbage. If the community prefers we perfect a good solid amount( i.e. not garbage) and recycled them, then let us know by discussing it like the suggestion board requires in an actual thread that's geared toward that from the start. This reads like a complaint shoved in the S&I board for the sake of stirring the pot.

Point 7: You wanna try sending out 120+ items in a MEGA CLUNKY sending system ONE AT A TIME while juggling uni+social life+holidays+family? (Plus other stuff)
Let one of us know lol, so we can forward your application to admin to those above us.

Tldr November is always quieter than the rest of the year, and for good reason. If you want quantity over quality, say so. Easy fix.

Respond to staff points.
Last edited by Ele; Dec 2, 2017 at 04:17 PM.
Originally Posted by Icky View Post
Thats a disagreement over opinions and favoured type of events. Interchange "parkour map" with "knockout bracket" or "victory counting" and your post doesn't change or answer quality v quantity.

Also. $1000 abd tourney can be done. But you'd need a LOT more tc to hit that mark like last time. Maybe I'll set one up if it's shown to be something the community wants.

Since we are talking real money...would it be hard for toribash to find sponsors to offer real money prizes in simple abd events?
I mean you can crunch down the numbers of people logging in and the mass of the comunity so you can easly go to different companis and tell them what you can offer. Advertising on banners and such shit. Make it more of a esport then it already is with real money prizes from advertising
= SELLING MARKET INVENTORY =
Pm me for deals
am i the only one who enjoys straight forward knock out bracket events, with a decent rule set and prizes?
No not really. I still have your event doc on my pc. Looked at it this morning too. Numbers are a bit of an overshoot. But it could be nice.
-----
Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
Since we are talking real money...would it be hard for toribash to find sponsors to offer real money prizes in simple abd events?
I mean you can crunch down the numbers of people logging in and the mass of the comunity so you can easly go to different companis and tell them what you can offer. Advertising on banners and such shit. Make it more of a esport then it already is with real money prizes from advertising

We say $1000 but we're referring to the price of the Xmillion tc equivelent of the time rather than actual USD.
Last edited by Icky; Dec 4, 2017 at 10:53 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
No not really. I still have your event doc on my pc. Looked at it this morning too. Numbers are a bit of an overshoot. But it could be nice.
-----

We say $1000 but we're referring to the price of the Xmillion tc equivelent of the time rather than actual USD.

wasen't there a 1k$ aikido tourney at some point? Legit?

I also like straight forward events, brackets and motivating content (read prize)
= SELLING MARKET INVENTORY =
Pm me for deals
Repost from Off-Topic thread by Powas;
Originally Posted by Powas
I do recall the "how to host/do forum events" threads and guides in ES HQ we made being relatively well put together - perhaps you could expand on those, if you haven't already, into the realm of quick to prepare "instant" events - simple stuff that a willing member of the team could do almost on the spot, by changing some variables in the thread and posting it as is, with less jaw-dropping prizes and short deadlines (f.ex. up to 5 days). That would create a certain dynamic in the events board, changing it's sorry state in between the big events.

Another thing I conceptualized but didn't get to introduce and implement when I was still in the team, was a think-tank for the creation of forum events. Such group would consist of ex-staffers and active memebers of the community, interested in helping out. Certain level of discretion would be recquired, not to spoil the contents of the discussed events too soon, however without any mind-blowing recquirements to actually join the group, with the exception of the memeber limit at given time - up to 10 people. The group would operate in a special board, but without access to any staff boards, as it isn't needed and would only make a possibility of some leaks more likely. Their aim would be to create and prepare [PROP]s of interesting events, that a member of ES could take and host without having to conceptualize it him/herself - taking some load off the ES (some people, while good at in-game hosting, can't for the love of them sit down for 30-40 minutes and write down an ok-ish event [PROP]).
Inactive people would be removed quickly, making place for the new ones. Such "database" of possible events would come in handy in situation such as the current one.
Staff would obviously oversee the group, giving CnC, giving ideas, sometimes letting the group know in what direction to look, as events of this or that theme might be happening in the future, but for the most part they would simply do their "job" by coming up with "hosting-worthy" and "hosting-ready" events, widening the hosting possibilites for the ES. Of course, if an event created by the member of the group was used, all the people that worked on it would get their due credit in the event thread.

Thoughts on Powas's idea of running 'instant' events often and his idea for creating a group which brainstorms and writes [Props] for eventual possible usage by ES?

Imo, there should always be a few active events going on. All we've got now is a HOTM event (hoping Tori-Santa wasn't one of the 'quality' events you were talking about). For that reason I'd support the idea of having a [Prop] writing group. If the ES are so terribly busy with their real lives, then this would lighten their workload.

On his idea for more 'instant' events, yeah, that'd mean more work. I can imagine that several 'instant' events could be serialised, however, so it wouldn't be too hard to create a rotating schedule of 'instant' events, so we have 1 every week. If ES feels this would be a too difficult (or time-consuming) task to do, perhaps creating the rotating 'instant' schedule and props could be the first thing that [Prop] group does.

So yeah, thoughts on a potential [Prop]-making group and thoughts on having 'instant' events constantly, in-between the big 'quality' events?
Last edited by Ele; Dec 6, 2017 at 06:23 AM.
Originally Posted by Worm View Post
The past 10 days only two es have hosted, blur and bands.(going off globals so might be wrong). 20 days back and only 3 es have hosted (bands, blur, and ping. also again i'm going off globals so might be wrong.) Whattup with that?

Hi. As someone who has been on the GM team multiple times, I can tell you right now that November/December are always hard months because its usually end of school semesters, due deadlines at jobs, etc. and there is always an influx of new staff members during the summer (more free time) and they get weeded out during fall.

Originally Posted by Surge View Post
keep in mind that they're meant to host 3 times a week each.

Keep in mind that staff members are allowed a certain level of planned inactivity (if they warn about it beforehand). Also, hosting three times a week is actually a much bigger commitment than most people realize given that 99% of the staff members are volunteers.

---

Ele, your post gives essentially no constructive criticism and like Icky said, it is essentially a rant towards staff more than anything else. Dunno why this hasn't been locked tbh.

---
My 2 cents: ES/GM activity has always been cyclic. Recruitment drives bring an influx of new staff members who will nearly all be burnt out within the next 3-4 months. This can be temporarily fixed by, for example, giving better growth potential to staff members so that they don't feel like they've 'plateaued' upon being promoted from trial to full ES (remember, you cannot show that ES is a stepping stone for you, no matter how ambitious). You could have different ranks amongts ES to stimulate growth (junior ES, senior ES, however you want to call it...). This is used in actual Corporations, partially to prevent burnout and to give goals to employees to work towards. That would be a band aid fix though, because you can only add so many bars on a ladder before you discourage people from climbing it... This is just one example, but you get my point.

tl;dr Fixing the ES burnout should be the target here. Not focusing on hosting more events.
Help Squad | Companions | OFRO
Do you require assistance? PM ME!
Originally Posted by Liquidoom View Post
Also, hosting three times a week is actually a much bigger commitment than most people realize given that 99% of the staff members are volunteers.

If you don't want to do shit, don't volunteer in the first place.

Originally Posted by Liquidoom View Post
Ele, your post gives essentially no constructive criticism and like Icky said, it is essentially a rant towards staff more than anything else. Dunno why this hasn't been locked tbh.

My OP contains the statement that ES activity is shit, and there needs to be more activity. It also contains Icky's response - A list of reasons why it's currently shit. Now, we're all having a discussion based on those reasons, and we're all positing different ideas of how to solve this problem, or even if there is a problem to be solved.

This suggestion thread is working exactly as it should be working. This is clear. Don't try to stop discussion and progress by having it closed after it's already been reopened and is running fine. How unconstructive is that!
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
If you don't want to do shit, don't volunteer in the first place.

My OP contains the statement that ES activity is shit, and there needs to be more activity. It also contains Icky's response - A list of reasons why it's currently shit. Now, we're all having a discussion based on those reasons, and we're all positing different ideas of how to solve this problem, or even if there is a problem to be solved.

This suggestion thread is working exactly as it should be working. This is clear. Don't try to stop discussion and progress by having it closed after it's already been reopened and is running fine. How unconstructive is that!

This is going off track, lets focus back on the topic. You pointed that users shouldn't volunteer in the first place if they can't host 3 times per week, yet this is a widespread issue amongst GMs/ES, not just something a few individuals have trouble with. Clearly, given the current demographic of players, it is hard to find people who can commit to hosting three times per week for months on end without burning out or having to quit because their life took an unexpected spin and they aren't as active anymore. If that wasn't the case, most ES members would be reaching the quota on a regular basis, which clearly isn't the case. Just saying 'host more' isn't going to solve it. There needs to be some changes made to give more incentive to ES members to be active, host a lot and not burn out. Currently, the only incentive (afaik) is usually some kind of reward such as shiai tokens, items, forum customization, etc. but that clearly hasn't proven effective over the years. I suggested giving more ranks to ES so that they have something to work towards besides applying for lead, smod or simply try to get into another unrelated staff group. Feel free to dissect, discuss and murder this idea. It is far from perfect, but it is based on how I felt as a GM, so I believe it does have some value to it. Also, this conservation is probably something staff should have internally, not us on this suggestion board.
Help Squad | Companions | OFRO
Do you require assistance? PM ME!
Well, I currently am going thru high school hell. So I'm currently dead. I got college apps, financial aid apps n shit, SCHOOL REQUIREMENTS to graduate and have activities and shit, my finals are next week. The past couple months have been hell for me. Of course I can use forums because you know, my cellular device! But trying to get in-game while trying to manage having 5 classes, one of them being AP, while also trying to get accepted into some decent schools is pretty difficult. Everyone is different, I can understand an A student who's "that dude" and can get shit done but i'm not, I need to focus during these times.
Last edited by rickie; Dec 7, 2017 at 07:30 AM.
Thats a disagreement over opinions and favoured type of events. Interchange "parkour map" with "knockout bracket" or "victory counting" and your post doesn't change or answer quality v quantity.

Also. $1000 abd tourney can be done. But you'd need a LOT more tc to hit that mark like last time. Maybe I'll set one up if it's shown to be something the community wants.

So you're telling me just as many people want bracket events as they do random parkour maps?

Take a look at the stats, all those random events have barely anyone enter, but events that include a bracket and decent prizes have basically the whole community enter.

I believe more people would prefer a bracket / victory counting event in well established mods such as ABD, Lenshu, Rk-mma, Boxshu, Judofrac, Judo?, ErthTK, TK?, over a parkour / free running map event, with decent prizes of course.