ES Recruitment Drive
Originally Posted by SmallBowl View Post
I know why im learning what im learning, and I know fairly much why I learnt what I did lower down in school.

Well, turns out your opinion doesn't matter either.

Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
In no country do highschoolers have experience with life after highschool...

This.

It isn't rocket science to do taxes, in most places the workplace does it for you if you don't request otherwise. Cooking, cleaning, taking the trash out, voting and any of that stuff aren't that hard to do without someone showing you how, either (you could learn to cook from youtube for example). I can't imagine what you guys want to learn as "life skills", most people have parents to teach them those.
You'll learn most of the stuff you have to know on the job anyways, unless you go for something requiring certification or a diploma.
Last edited by ynvaser; Jul 18, 2015 at 01:25 PM.
Originally Posted by ynvaser View Post
Well, turns out your opinion doesn't matter either.

"Young people's opinions don't matter because they don't know why theyre learning what they're learning"

"Your opinion doesn't matter because you know the reason behind what you're learning"

Care to explain?
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.
Originally Posted by SmallBowl View Post
"Young people's opinions don't matter because they don't know why theyre learning what they're learning"

"Your opinion doesn't matter because you know the reason behind what you're learning"

Care to explain?

The weigh was on the ongoing nature of your sentence. You are still in High School, therefore it's impossible for you to see what is and what isn't necessary for you to learn. Also, you have no idea why you are learning stuff, you are learning because it is expected of you. And that is fine, learn everything and you'll have a wide array of options ahead of you. But none of you guys could ever have an educated opinion on what is needed/unneeded in the curriculum.

Let me tell you something I've learned since I've left HS: 90% of it is bullshit, but the usable 10% is different for everybody. They are making you learn everything because if they let you choose which 10% you'd like to learn, your brain wouldn't be fit for learning actual in-depth material later on. You may think you are good at maths/physics/whatever, but that whole HS material you were so good at will be 2 pages in a 200-page textbook (not exaggerating) if you go down any path of higher education. It's also a great place in life to get an idea of what you actually like doing. Choosing a major which you don't like/aren't very good at will be wasted time. Even if you finish, you won't be worth a damn compared to those who excel at it.

If I had a say in changing what they teach you, I'd just double the material in size so you'd be better prepared for Uni. If you aren't going to go to Uni, it doesn't matter what you do in HS.
Last edited by ynvaser; Jul 18, 2015 at 11:42 PM.
Originally Posted by ynvaser View Post
The weigh was on the ongoing nature of your sentence. You are still in High School, therefore it's impossible for you to see what is and what isn't necessary for you to learn. Also, you have no idea why you are learning stuff, you are learning because it is expected of you. And that is fine, learn everything and you'll have a wide array of options ahead of you. But none of you guys could ever have an educated opinion on what is needed/unneeded in the curriculum.

How is it impossible for me to know why im learning what I am, its clear that each subject will give you some knowledge, and also in the process of learning you are given skills that may become valuable, anyone can see that what makes you think that a high school student cant.

Feel free to enlighten me about what it is I dont know.

Let me tell you something I've learned since I've left HS: 90% of it is bullshit, but the usable 10% is different for everybody. They are making you learn everything because if they let you choose which 10% you'd like to learn, your brain wouldn't be fit for learning actual in-depth material later on. You may think you are good at maths/physics/whatever, but that whole HS material you were so good at will be 2 pages in a 200-page textbook (not exaggerating) if you go down any path of higher education. It's also a great place in life to get an idea of what you actually like doing. Choosing a major which you don't like/aren't very good at will be wasted time. Even if you finish, you won't be worth a damn compared to those who excel at it.

They are also making you learn things so you have skills to use, for example even in scientific career paths English at high school level will have been useful, as you will have to write reports, such as lab reports, and dissertations, these things will need you to be able to write fluently and coherently in a way that other people will easily be able to understand the process and the conclusions you have drawn. This is what English was designed to teach everyone in schools.

If I had a say in changing what they teach you, I'd just double the material in size so you'd be better prepared for Uni. If you aren't going to go to Uni, it doesn't matter what you do in HS.

I wouldnt say doubling would be a good idea, many students are already overloaded by the amounts of work they get, the people who will not be going on to uni cannot be ignored by the education system, maybe increasing slightly the amount of work and forcing more independent work to be donewould be a better way to get people prepared for uni

Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.