ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Tonic Immobility - 'Do humans possess it?'

Tonic Immobility (also known as 'apparent death') is the act of 'playing dead' and is a defence mechanism used by various animals as a response to a threat. Perhaps the animal most associated with tonic immobility is the possum, which is where the phrase "playing possum" comes from. It is also very common for marine animals and reptiles to play dead.

However, this study asks the question, 'Is there tonic immobility in humans?'. The way they conducted the experiment was by getting participants who suffer from traumatic stress and then reading out their experiences to them: "Reports of script-induced immobility were associated with restricted area of body sway and were correlated with accelerated heart rate and diminished heart rate variability, implying that tonic immobility is preserved in humans as an involuntary defensive strategy."

An example I've been thinking about for a while is when we cover ourselves in a blanket at a young age (or if you're like me you still do it). We do so in order to divide ourselves from the supposed threat that stands outside the cover, though realistically the blanket will fail to defend us in any way. This means that we put our trust and our hope into the blanket, rather than being consciously aware that it is not a suitable defensive mechanism.
Does this stem from the basis of tonic immobility?

Thoughts?
For me there is not possible, Because we need a lot of air to breathe, or we need to be trained to not breath for a long time...

Anyway If the animal you trying to escape is scavenger you're dead.

Actually I've heard about If you act like you're dead in front of a bear he will smell you and leave..
Running away...
Well let's give this an example, let's say our predator is a serial killer, and a random person is the prey. In this certain, not every situation, maybe some, but lets say it's this certain situation. This person is in his/her house, inside his/her bedroom, kitchen, basement, etc. And then the predator stalks his/her prey, slowly and quietly, while the prey is ever so oblivious to it's surroundings. Well in this situation the predator strangles its victim. Through the strangling the prey either can perform tonic immobility, as in faking as if it were choked to death, to trick the predator that he/she has taken it's victim's life. Or either to fight back, or simply just die. But once in tonic immobility, he/she has tricked the predator, therefore can escape, or fight back.
Tyzo: Haunted Memes can't crush Obey's Dreams.
Yay: But RelaxAll can crush Obey's Balls.
what if the predator knew that the prey is still alive?
the predator might think that the prey is still alive because , the prey didnt bleed .
and in that situation he will kill the prey . but , the trained people would do a tricky thing . which is adding fake blood and play dead so the predator become 100% sure that the prey is dead by someone else .
thats all i can say.
Originally Posted by moataz123 View Post
what if the predator knew that the prey is still alive?
the predator might think that the prey is still alive because , the prey didnt bleed .
and in that situation he will kill the prey . but , the trained people would do a tricky thing . which is adding fake blood and play dead so the predator become 100% sure that the prey is dead by someone else .
thats all i can say.

That's a what if, I'm making an example of a certain situation of how a human can possess and may perform tonic immobility, if it knew, then that would be a different situation. The prey didn't bleed because the predator never had a weapon to begin with nor did it use any physical violence to make the prey bleed in any way. All the predator did do, is strangle the prey. And I never did add that it were trained, it just came outta instinct to perform tonic immobility. and using tonic immobility may have a chance to trick the predator into thinking as if he has taken the prey's life, anyways fake blood isn't an important factor into tonic immobility, that's just used for staging a death. And the trick here, is the tonic immobility tricking the predator into thinking that it had killed it's prey.
but , the trained people would do a tricky thing . which is adding fake blood and play dead so the predator become 100% sure that the prey is dead by someone else .
thats all i can say.

since when does self defense consist of carrying around packs of blood for faking death?
oh yeah
because the predator is not an idiot ( no offence) he is smart and he might know that this is tonic immobility so if they added a thing that makes it fake blood then the predator is gonna be tricked.but if they played dead(without the fake blood) he is gonna get a weapon and kill(stab) the prey again so he makes sure of course .
because the predator is not an idiot ( no offence) he is smart and he might know that this is tonic immobility so if they added a thing that makes it fake blood then the predator is gonna be tricked.but if they played dead(without the fake blood) he is gonna get a weapon and kill(stab) the prey again so he makes sure of course .

As I said, I am making an example of how humans can possess tonic immobility, and may perform this in a certain situation. the predator is not carrying any knife, nor performing any physical violence to make the prey bleed in anyway, and in such logic, and common sense, how can the prey carry fake blood and apply it while being strangled in that certain situation. And the predator may or may not have known that the prey is performing tonic immobility. And yea "of course if the prey doesn't add fake blood he/she will definitely get stabbed with a weapon". But in this certain situation the predator carries no weapon, or does any physical violence to make the victim bleed.
oh i get it . in that situation the prey is not gonna get hurt
but why the predator came for the prey in the first place? (humans not animals)
and btw
predator eats the prey automatically(just sayin)
Last edited by Moataz; Aug 7, 2015 at 11:35 PM.
Rant no.2

Why are we talking about fake blood? This discussion is about whether or not tonic immobility happens in humans, not about how to be most persuasively dead during tonic immobility. Whether or not someone uses fake blood is completely irrelevant and I don't see how anyone could believe otherwise. Stop talking about the specific minutia of a made up, arbitrary scenario Yaysian thought up where tonic immobility might sometimes occur and start thinking about whether what you are posting is relevant to the discussion topic.
Last edited by Zelda; Aug 8, 2015 at 12:24 PM.
Good morning sweet princess