Toribash
Original Post
New graphics card
so I'm getting my first pay check in about a week and I would like to purchase a new graphics card since mine ATM sucks. I'm not very smart, especially when it comes to computer things so I would like some suggestions

this is what I have a Shitty Prebuild HP Computer

any good cards people would recommend?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Selling/buying tc or items? PM Flow!
If you got no budget and you're looking for a good performance go with the MSI GeForce GTX 970
If you got a strict budget I'd suggest something like Radeon R9 380.

Be aware of this important factor though. Since your PC is pre-built it probably has strict rules when it comes to upgrading, one of which is power usage. The graphics card that you're using now has 25 W power consumption, and for example GTX 970 has 145 W. What this means is if you're going to upgrade your graphics card, you will most likely need to replace your power supply to something more powerful as well.
Also be aware about the form factor and dimensions of the GPU/power supply when buying, otherwise you might end up not being able to fit the part inside the case.

I hope this helps, if you got any more questions feel free to ask :)
How much are you willing to spend?
Got any problems or questions about computers or any other tech?Feel free to PM me any time. Lmod for Computer/Mobile Chat
200-300 CND (like 170-250 USD i think)

Originally Posted by Smaguris View Post
If you got no budget and you're looking for a good performance go with the MSI GeForce GTX 970
If you got a strict budget I'd suggest something like Radeon R9 380.

Be aware of this important factor though. Since your PC is pre-built it probably has strict rules when it comes to upgrading, one of which is power usage. The graphics card that you're using now has 25 W power consumption, and for example GTX 970 has 145 W. What this means is if you're going to upgrade your graphics card, you will most likely need to replace your power supply to something more powerful as well.
Also be aware about the form factor and dimensions of the GPU/power supply when buying, otherwise you might end up not being able to fit the part inside the case.

I hope this helps, if you got any more questions feel free to ask

alright yeah this does help. To my understanding (probably wrong) my power supply is 450w and adding all the power usages together from the other parts and interacting it from the main power supply I should have around 373w left, correct?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Not sure if that PSU will support a good GPU (those prebuilt PSUs are usually shit and dangerous under load), so you should get something like this and a GTX 960 4GB
Got any problems or questions about computers or any other tech?Feel free to PM me any time. Lmod for Computer/Mobile Chat
hmm ok, i don't know if I'm still just understanding wrong, or this is a big difference but the one in my computer says it's a 460w and that's 500w. Would that extra 40w be important?

also there is a guy at my job who just got a new graphics card and offered me his old GTX 470 for around $50. Is that worth it? or should I just get a new, better graphics card.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
No. GTX 470 sucks ass! Don't get it. You can find those cards for around $15-30 around the internet.

Also i'm not so sure about prebuilt(brand) PC's but would the new AMD RX 480 fit in that PC? I'd definitely get that if i was you(if it does fit)
Last edited by hunter; Jul 12, 2016 at 03:38 PM.
"raawr says the dinosaur right?"
~◆~
[OSHI,TA,OoT,RMO]
Originally Posted by Ezeth View Post
here you can see scores according to benchmarks between the popular videocards
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Originally Posted by Rules
Synthetic benchmarks are now banned. This includes: GPU/CPUBoss, Passmark, Cinebench etc

Originally Posted by Flames View Post
hmm ok, i don't know if I'm still just understanding wrong, or this is a big difference but the one in my computer says it's a 460w and that's 500w. Would that extra 40w be important?

It is not about the 40W, it is about the stronger 12V rail and the security options, better capacitors and just overall better quality. I've seen multiple computers dying because people overstressed their bad prebuilt PSUs with strong GPUs.

Originally Posted by Flames View Post
also there is a guy at my job who just got a new graphics card and offered me his old GTX 470 for around $50. Is that worth it? or should I just get a new, better graphics card.

No, that thing is horribly outdated and overall just shit. Never buy used parts. There are reasons why people get rid of their things for cheap. Mostly because they realized it is not good anymore for todays standard or some major flaws accured.
Last edited by Mongius; Jul 12, 2016 at 05:31 PM.
I wouldn't want to upgrade a prebuild until I had checked out each of the components in the box.

Like Smaguris said, PSU is probably going to be a huge factor. Beyond that motherboard may be limiting. 460W isn't that much, but it is enough for a mid-tier GPU, but I'm not sure that you will have the cables for it if it even has the rails.
Beyond that motherboard may be limiting

this is a vastly spread lie. Mobos used to be a factor, but since ~2010 they have exatly 0% impact on performance. Mobos just exist for their amout of connectors nowadays.
460W isn't that much, but it is enough for a mid-tier GPU

It's enough for a 1080/980ti + i7.