Toribash
Original Post
I'm going to leave this topic pretty open. Feel free to bring up any talking points on the subject you can think of, but as guidelines;

Do you believe in people with non-binary genders?
Do you believe within that category the are genders (not just a mixture or lack of the two genders relating to sex)?
Do you believe that we should still have genders at all?

And as always, try to explain why.
Don't talk to your stepmom like that ever again!
Originally Posted by InternetDad View Post
I'm going to leave this topic pretty open. Feel free to bring up any talking points on the subject you can think of, but as guidelines;

Do you believe in people with non-binary genders?
Do you believe within that category the are genders (not just a mixture or lack of the two genders relating to sex)?
Do you believe that we should still have genders at all?

And as always, try to explain why.

1. Personally Im absolutely fine with the concept of non-binary gender. Gender refers to how you feel and act rather than your biology and is entirely a social construct. So yeah, a person can feel different and act different day to day and that does change their gender, or they can not feel like they fit as either male or female; the same would obviously not be true for sex though.

2. Im not sure I understand the question, but I think people can fit the category of male and female fine but also fit somewhere between the two in terms of how they act and feel compared with typical social and cultural examples of a male of female, so I think someones gender can be between male and female. Again the same is not at all true for sex with deals entirely with biology.

3. Gender can do a good job of describing how a person feels about their thoughts, actions and their body so I think it can have a use. On the other hand the topic of gender and disagreements around the topic happen all the time and are often heated, it could be argued that its really not worth the trouble it causes since its not a tangible thing rather just a social construct - in reality theres no chance that the concept of gender will disappear.
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.
Personally, there's two genders or a mixture but there will still be a prominent gender in a mixture.
Some people just cross-dress, have mental disorders, or simply hate their gender and want to change.
So it's whatever they can do whatever they want just quit shoving it down everyone's throats.
Yknow
|Evil|
I don't exist
I believe you can be whatever you want to be, if you identify as a fidget spinner on aderol then more power to you fam.
oh is this where i put my signature?
Smallbowl: Context for second question. I only believe in two genders, because they are social constructs designed to describe a group of characteristics expected of one of the (more than two if you include people born who are intersex) sexes. I believe you can't create more genders, but I do believe insisting that a member of a sex must adhere to the respective gender is absurd as the characteristics are pretty arbitrary nowadays when you look at how much people can afford to differ independently of sex. You can say you have characteristics/an identity that are/is somewhere between the genders, or that you fit into neither group. Basically gender non-binary people, as well as trans people are legitimate and credible, but there are only two genders in the case of the west at least.
Don't talk to your stepmom like that ever again!
Originally Posted by Kunt View Post
theres 2 genitals, theres 2 genders

Sex =/= gender. Gender has absolutely nothing to do with genitals, sex has absolutely everything to do with genitals.
Originally Posted by InternetDad View Post
Smallbowl: Context for second question. I only believe in two genders, because they are social constructs designed to describe a group of characteristics expected of one of the (more than two if you include people born who are intersex) sexes. I believe you can't create more genders, but I do believe insisting that a member of a sex must adhere to the respective gender is absurd as the characteristics are pretty arbitrary nowadays when you look at how much people can afford to differ independently of sex. You can say you have characteristics/an identity that are/is somewhere between the genders, or that you fit into neither group. Basically gender non-binary people, as well as trans people are legitimate and credible, but there are only two genders in the case of the west at least.

If gender is what a person identifies as then I would argue that every person must have a gender, if a person does not fit into male or female then their gender is something different, which means another gender exists.

I do understand what youre saying but gender is only loosely related to sex, and saying that since one only has 2 categories thus the other must only have 2 is incorrect since they are different concept. Sex is determined by which sexual organ a person has and what role they would take in reproduction, humans only reproduce with 2 sexual organs so there are only 2 sexes. Gender on the other hand is what a person is like in terms of social and cultural behaviour and feelings, these can be anything and are not limited to reproduction so the constraints are different allowing more than 2 categories to exist
All of this could just be gender disphoria, or just a fad people took too far,
you know how people just love to fit in.
|Evil|
I don't exist
Originally Posted by Blair View Post
All of this could just be gender disphoria, or just a fad people took too far,
you know how people just love to fit in.

All of what? Would you be able to explain and expand your point please?
This is a discussion board post and I expect all future posts to meet the minimum criteria. Further crappy/low content posts will be deleted and infracted.

Genders appear to be a cultural construct, not a scientific one. From what I gather, genders become relevant only when discussing "Types" or "Roles" where certain genders are associated with liking and doing certain things. In that respect, a gender and a sex are far from interchangeable terminology, and can be non-binary.

Sex on the other hand is almost exclusively influenced by genetics. A person's sex can be male, female, or in very rare cases intersex. It's essentially binary.

Some people feel uncomfortable when their sex and gender don't match. If you're a a male sex, and you love dresses, make up, cooking, shades of pink and yellow, maybe you don't feel very connected with the identity of a "boy". In this case, it makes sense to change your gender identification, and feel more at peace with your situation as a woman.

Some people aren't sure where they feel comfortable yet, and experiment. I suppose that term is referred to as gender fluidity, where they don't concretely feel masculine or feminine for too long and haven't settled in on a particular archetype.

I'm pretty much against genders. It really only serves to divide us. For practical purposes, people of similar physiology may want to be grouped together for fairness in some outlets such as professional sporting competitions but other than that, nobody should feel uncomfortable for being themselves.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!