Toribash
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
Somebody explain to me (because a lot of you seem to be making this judgment) why they think the 'rights' of a foetus/embryo to live outweighs the rights of a woman to do whatever the hell she wants to her body?

Okay, well, foetus and embryo are both words used to dehumanize. Of course, you may argue that their initial purpose is to describe the various developmental stages of the human, but it's occurred to me that the pro-choice side will use these words commonly, up until birth. In order to make the human life sounds anything but a human life, these words continue to navigate the abortion discussion, and understandably, if the pro-choice side wants to maintain that particular boundary between policy and morality.

The objective standpoint in this debate is that life begins at conception. Every scientific textbook will tell you this. You will only find arbitrary definitions as to when human life begins on the other side; some say life begins at 10 weeks, some say 24, some say not until birth, some say when he/she/it can feel pain, some say when self-awareness kicks in, etc. These aren't substantial and are lacking in objectivity. Of course, people won't hesitate to justify violence when it suits them.

The right to choose cannot overwrite the right to life, and that is my stance. If you claim otherwise, then you are openly admitting that human life has no value, that we should throw away anything we know about human development, that you are embracing a society where we live without moral consequence and do whatever the fuck we like as long as we bloody well like it. That, to me, does not sound like an improvement.
Originally Posted by Mallymkun View Post
Okay, well, foetus and embryo are both words used to dehumanize. Of course, you may argue that their initial purpose is to describe the various developmental stages of the human, but it's occurred to me that the pro-choice side will use these words commonly, up until birth. In order to make the human life sounds anything but a human life, these words continue to navigate the abortion discussion, and understandably, if the pro-choice side wants to maintain that particular boundary between policy and morality.

That's some conspiratorial outlook right there. I don't think I have to respond to that. I'm going to continue to call a foetus a foetus and an embryo an embryo. You know, because that's what they're friggin called.

The objective standpoint in this debate is that life begins at conception. Every scientific textbook will tell you this. You will only find arbitrary definitions as to when human life begins on the other side; some say life begins at 10 weeks, some say 24, some say not until birth, some say when he/she/it can feel pain, some say when self-awareness kicks in, etc. These aren't substantial and are lacking in objectivity. Of course, people won't hesitate to justify violence when it suits them.

That's not an objective fact at all. 'When does life begin' is one of the central questions in abortion that's debated - There is no scientific consensus on this (did you know sperm is also alive). Just because Ben Shapiro tells you that it's an objective fact doesn't make it an objective fact.

If you claim otherwise, then you are openly admitting that human life has no value, that we should throw away anything we know about human development, that you are embracing a society where we live without moral consequence and do whatever the fuck we like as long as we bloody well like it. That, to me, does not sound like an improvement.

Yeah, nah. It's not saying human life has no value. It's recognising that the life and rights of a woman are more important than the perceived rights of some unborn child. It's valuing current human life over potential human life. You're completely hysterical if you think that this equates with 'life has no value'.
Last edited by Ele; Nov 29, 2016 at 05:29 AM.
That's not an objective fact at all. 'When does life begin' is one of the central questions in abortion that's debated - There is no scientific consensus on this (did you know sperm is also alive). Just because Ben Shapiro tells you that it's an objective fact doesn't make it an objective fact.

I'm sorry, but if you're going to convince me that human life starts elsewhere, then you're gonna have to pull your sources together because that is an extraordinary claim. Most pro-abortionists actually admit that human life does start at conception, though will subsequently argue that rights come from personhood (this vague term with fascist undertones that somehow argues that our developmental process determines our level of value).

If the argument was subjective, then it would be influenced by personal feelings and opinions, but this is not the case. There is a rational position to take on all of this, which goes as far as saying that when the sperm fertilises the egg, human life starts. It's the only sustainable view. And I'm sorry, yes, sperm is living, but sperm is not the inheritance of the human; it has no value by itself.

If you wish to debate when human life starts, which is the fundamental argument in all of this, then make your case. If it's just a blob of jelly, then you can do whatever you want with it. If it's a human you can't kill it.

Yeah, nah. It's not saying human life has no value. It's recognising that the life and rights of a woman are more important than the perceived rights of some unborn child. It's valuing current human life over potential human life. You're completely hysterical if you think that this equates with 'life has no value'.

No, potential has nothing to do with it. The 'foetus' in the womb is a physically, objectively existing thing. It is vital that we don't set values on each other, no matter what our developmental stage, shape or size. Of course, we all know what regime exterminated human beings based on their genetics.
Of course, we all know what regime exterminated human beings based on their genetics.

gotta love that inevitable nazi regime reference. you look very clever using arguments like that

The "where does life begin" question is a tricky one, but that's not necessarily the only line of reasoning either. you can look at the economic and societal benefits as well, you don't need to just reason based on abstract human rights and whether unborn people deserve them

although my 2 cents on that topic are that life basically begins at conception. a sperm is just that - a sperm. It has no individual capability to become a person. Same thing with an egg. They will continue to be sperm and eggs barring human interference. That's not the case with embryos/fetuses. Barring unfortunate accidents of nature, they are on the inevitable path to being people. any interruptions in that process are depriving that lifeform of its normally inevitable personhood, and honestly there is no moral highground for pro-choicers on this part of the question

that of course isn't to say that there aren't good arguments to be made from other perspectives like the ones i mentioned earlier, but pro-choicers need to put the conception schpeal behind them, because it's not a battle they can win.
for the record, i'm pro choice
Originally Posted by Pouffy View Post
gotta love that inevitable nazi regime reference. you look very clever using arguments like that

Gotta love how you didn't argue against it, but just felt it was better to rather undermine it. I get it, Nazism and Hitler are compared with everything nowadays, but I think you'll find it's a valid comparison, despite your own personal stance on the issue.

Look, if the pro-choicers do not battle the subject of conception, then they have already lost. You can argue when rights are given, since human rights are arbitrary anyway, but you cannot argue when human life starts. A pro-choicer must accept that they are knowingly arguing for the destruction of a human life in the name of choice. This subsequently shows that they believe the womb to be the almighty veto over what deserves to live, which is of course nonsense, since you have babies being born at times where they can be aborted. The only difference between a baby and a 'foetus' is that one is outside the womb and one is not. To conceivably claim that this transition is so crucial, to the extent of which the right to life is suddenly given once he/she has been born, is so demonstrably cruel and petty that it raises the question, "Has the majority of the pro-choice side ever witnessed an abortion before?". I ask you to look one up and watch it, and you'll see quite plainly that what is being killed is a living human being.
I'm sorry, but if you're going to convince me that human life starts elsewhere, then you're gonna have to pull your sources together because that is an extraordinary claim.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm just seeing where you're coming from. It seems to be from a standpoint of 'b-b-but they look human'.

If the argument was subjective, then it would be influenced by personal feelings and opinions, but this is not the case. There is a rational position to take on all of this, which goes as far as saying that when the sperm fertilises the egg, human life starts. It's the only sustainable view.

No, it's not the only 'sustainable view'. It's just the only viewpoint your close mind is willing to recognise - That makes it subjective.

No, potential has nothing to do with it. The 'foetus' in the womb is a physically, objectively existing thing. It is vital that we don't set values on each other, no matter what our developmental stage, shape or size. Of course, we all know what regime exterminated human beings based on their genetics.

Ugh, the edginess! It's amazing that you think that sort of thing actually bolsters your argument. You wrote that and went 'Oh yep, that's a great point'.

By your strict logic, a woman wouldn't be able to take a morning after pill since human life begins at conception. Now, take a step back and think about how silly that is. Think about making that claim in real life to a women and think about the resulting slap and your smarting cheeks.

You're not living in the real world. Don't worry, it's just because you're young. You'll gain more perspective as you age.
I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm just seeing where you're coming from. It seems to be from a standpoint of 'b-b-but they look human'.

Oh yes, they look human, with their arms, legs, head, heart, brain, unique fingerprint, blood type, etc, but no, they're not human beings - at all. Classic dehumanization.

No, it's not the only 'sustainable view'. It's just the only viewpoint your close mind is willing to recognise - That makes it subjective.

Look at it from a neutral PoV. The pro-life side all agree that human life starts at the point of conception. The pro-choice side all carry arbitrary lines on when human life starts and when we should give a human life rights, so yes, the pro-life side is, in this case, wholly sustainable.

I have never seen the pro-choice side try to argue when human life starts. They either dismiss the point of conception and not elaborate as to why, or they agree that human life starts at conception but wish to grant the rights to life at a certain point of development. I have no time for any of it.

You clearly feel strongly attached to the pro-choice campaign, so make an argument. Give them something to argue for, other than pure convenience.

By your strict logic, a woman wouldn't be able to take a morning after pill since human life begins at conception. Now, take a step back and think about how silly that is. Think about making that claim in real life to a women and think about the resulting slap and your smarting cheeks.

My opinion on sex has always been that it is purely for procreational purposes. At some point we decided that pleasure and satisfaction are more important than responsibility. It's very simple, if you're having sexual intercourse, then you have already embraced the small chance that the woman could become impregnated. Thus, the pill is simply a replacement for morality and responsibility. If you think that's okay, as you clearly do, then you are inevitably saying that the destruction of human life is okay. If you are comfortable with that fact, then it should raise all sorts of questions.

And if a woman decides to slap me, then it's battery. Someone who feels that physical violence is more productive than reason, fact and logic doesn't deserve the ability to have an opinion.

You're not living in the real world. Don't worry, it's just because you're young. You'll gain more perspective as you age.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem
Besides the yes or no we should look at the cradle of life with all aspects.

It's always awkward to do a abortion. It may be even unnatural.

But today young mothers are forced to struggle more, set new priorities and change themselfes completely when getting pregnant, especially when the father somehow refuses to help.

If some kids wouldn't be blind to the ways of mankind they would knew the man has it in his hands if she gets pregnant or not... if you are just in there for fun and it gets on the top of pleasure then PULL OUT!.....
Enjoint life
Oh yes, they look human, with their arms, legs, head, heart, brain, unique fingerprint, blood type, etc, but no, they're not human beings - at all. Classic dehumanization.

All of the things you've listed are developed over time, and at 13 weeks (the point by which 92% of abortions are performed in the US) all of these things are barely developed. Only 8% of abortions performed after 13 weeks, a large chunk of which are adolescents who waited longer because they didn't know what to do, feared their parents' reaction, etc., and only 1% of abortions are at 21+ weeks, which is the point at which the brain is fully developed and functioning properly.

Look at it from a neutral PoV. The pro-life side all agree that human life starts at the point of conception. The pro-choice side all carry arbitrary lines on when human life starts and when we should give a human life rights, so yes, the pro-life side is, in this case, wholly sustainable.

One neutral point of view coming up: The pro-life side would have all future mothers be forced to carry their pregnancies to term, regardless of their wishes, the wishes of their parents, the fetus' ability to survive once born, and the mother's ability to survive during the process, effectively nullifying the rights the mother has over what she wants to do with her own body. The pro-choice side allows the mother to choose whether she wants to abort the fetus, carry it to term and give it up for adoption, or carry it to term and keep it. While there are many points of view on when a fetus should be granted human rights, and when it is still acceptable to abort the fetus, 95% of US citizens live in a state that allows abortions halfway into the second trimester, which allows every party involved ample time to make a decision.

I have never seen the pro-choice side try to argue when human life starts. They either dismiss the point of conception and not elaborate as to why, or they agree that human life starts at conception but wish to grant the rights to life at a certain point of development. I have no time for any of it.

Life starts at conception, yes. That is undeniable. The part that is argued is at what point we decide to give it the same rights as a human being. That 95% of the US mentioned earlier, if they all waited until the last minute to have an abortion, will have missed 4-5 periods, will have a noticeable amount of plumpness in the abdominal region, and will currently be pumping hormones and nutrients into a quickly growing fetus, which is just starting to have full brain function, and is 4 inches long. Anything after this point in my opinion, the mother has either waited too long, or has made the decision to keep it. If an abortion must be performed, it will be for medically serious reasons.

My opinion on sex has always been that it is purely for procreational purposes.

That may be your stance on sex, and you are free to do as much procreating as you want, difficult as it may be for you, but the culture has changed. It's left you behind. Hell, even apes are doing it for non-productive reasons.

At some point we decided that pleasure and satisfaction are more important than responsibility. It's very simple, if you're having sexual intercourse, then you have already embraced the small chance that the woman could become impregnated. Thus, the pill is simply a replacement for morality and responsibility.

What's more responsible, a woman carrying her baby to term, giving birth, keeping the child, forcing her to give up her dreams to care for it, struggling financially, creating a harsh environment not only for her, but also the child OR going to the clinic after taking a pregnancy test, getting an abortion, and continuing her schoolwork to become a virologist, creating the cure for AIDS and saving 37 million lives globally?
Both situations are hypothetical of course, but 60% of single mother families are living below the poverty line, and I would hazard a guess that even complete families that are not financially ready to care for an infant will struggle to stay above the poverty line.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
Originally Posted by hawkesnightmare View Post
All of the things you've listed are developed over time, and at 13 weeks (the point by which 92% of abortions are performed in the US) all of these things are barely developed.

^ That's a 'fetus' at 10 weeks. Looks pretty human to me.
Since you focused on the 13th week, let's have a look at what's developed by this point...

- The fetus reaches a length of about 15 cm (6 inches).
- A fine hair called lanugo develops on the head.
- Fetal skin is almost transparent.
- More muscle tissue and bones have developed, and the bones become harder.
- The fetus makes active movements.
- Sucking motions are made with the mouth.
- Meconium is made in the intestinal tract.
- The liver and pancreas produce fluid secretions.
- From week 13, sex prediction by obstetric ultrasonography is almost 100% accurate.

Only 8% of abortions performed after 13 weeks, a large chunk of which are adolescents who waited longer because they didn't know what to do, feared their parents' reaction, etc., and only 1% of abortions are at 21+ weeks, which is the point at which the brain is fully developed and functioning properly.

You're honest with your statistics and I respect you for that. Unfortunately, to most pro-lifers, and me, these statistics are irrelevant. I wouldn't react any differently if most abortions were carried out after 20 weeks, or if most abortions were carried out before 4 weeks. You must understand that time-framing is the systematic approach to devaluing life. I stand by the notion that if it's a human being, then you can't kill it. Publicly recognising the notion that if it's a human being, you can only kill it if it meets certain criteria is the road to fascism. Call me dramatic, call me insane, this is what I believe, and I want to make it clear to you that the timing is irrelevant to most pro-lifers, so it's not a sound argument at all. The only reason I touch on the developmental stages is because I know the pro-choice side cares about that stuff. Obviously, cutting back the cut-off point is going in the right direction, but I want to see it gone completely, and we'll only do that if we don't muck about on this topic.

One neutral point of view coming up: The pro-life side would have all future mothers be forced to carry their pregnancies to term, regardless of their wishes, the wishes of their parents, the fetus' ability to survive once born, and the mother's ability to survive during the process, effectively nullifying the rights the mother has over what she wants to do with her own body.

That's not a neutral point of view because already the neutral point of view has demonstrated that it does not believe the fetus to be a human being. If it did, then it wouldn't have any problem with the mother being restrained from killing the unborn child. Simply, there's no middle ground in this argument. I could care very little about people's wishes when a human life is involved. You cannot wish for somebody's death; you don't get that right.

The pro-choice side allows the mother to choose whether she wants to abort the fetus, carry it to term and give it up for adoption, or carry it to term and keep it. While there are many points of view on when a fetus should be granted human rights, and when it is still acceptable to abort the fetus, 95% of US citizens live in a state that allows abortions halfway into the second trimester, which allows every party involved ample time to make a decision.

Okay.

Life starts at conception, yes. That is undeniable.

Thanks for the clarification. Now I know who I'm talking to.

The part that is argued is at what point we decide to give it the same rights as a human being. That 95% of the US mentioned earlier, if they all waited until the last minute to have an abortion, will have missed 4-5 periods, will have a noticeable amount of plumpness in the abdominal region, and will currently be pumping hormones and nutrients into a quickly growing fetus, which is just starting to have full brain function, and is 4 inches long. Anything after this point in my opinion, the mother has either waited too long, or has made the decision to keep it. If an abortion must be performed, it will be for medically serious reasons.

That's your stance, and that's fine. I see it as an improvement over the current policy, but it still follows the same notion, and I'm not sure if I can argue against that particular notion. It's one you either believe in 100%, or don't.

That may be your stance on sex, and you are free to do as much procreating as you want, difficult as it may be for you, but the culture has changed. It's left you behind. Hell, even apes are doing it for non-productive reasons.

Okay, but I don't exactly want to do what animals are doing. When I'm arguing in favour of vegetarianism, I don't point to the herbivorous animals, or point at our behavioural omnivorous traits, I argue with morality, and I believe the same applies here. Having sexual intercourse and not worrying about the possible result is a common problem nowadays because of the massive propaganda and sexual revolution that has grown ever since the demise of Christianity. Yes, the culture has changed, but that doesn't necessarily imply an improvement, does it?

What's more responsible, a woman carrying her baby to term, giving birth, keeping the child, forcing her to give up her dreams to care for it, struggling financially, creating a harsh environment not only for her, but also the child OR going to the clinic after taking a pregnancy test, getting an abortion, and continuing her schoolwork to become a virologist, creating the cure for AIDS and saving 37 million lives globally?
Both situations are hypothetical of course, but 60% of single mother families are living below the poverty line, and I would hazard a guess that even complete families that are not financially ready to care for an infant will struggle to stay above the poverty line.

Single mothers are a massive problem, and we have to look at the source of what's causing this. It's obviously the demise of marriage (US statistics here), and we've undermined it for so long. Commitment used to be an admirable quality.