Ranking
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
Technically, you can complete the quest by turn 3 if you go second. On turn 3, 1 drop, panda bounce it, coin, 1 drop, shadowstep, 1 drop, shadowstep, 1 drop. Profit. Bonus points if the 1 drop was stonetusk boar.

So if by turn 3, you have coin,a 1 drop, panda, and two shadow steps, your reward is having a 5 mana spell that you hope you also have prep for to play on turn 4, and ultimately, now your top decks are 5/5s

That's like the absolute dream scenario. Where you've done at most, 5 damage because that one drop was specifically stone tusk boar or patches.

Whereas, the dream scenario for pirate warrior is ... I'm already dead hahaha.

Again, I'm not ready to say quest rogue is or isn't top tier yet, I'm just a lot more confident that pirate warrior is still very relevant and I hate that.

Maybe by Friday I'll have a day to myself to actually try out some fun expansion decks. I would really like to try deathrattle priest.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Maybe by Friday I'll have a day to myself to actually try out some fun expansion decks. I would really like to try deathrattle priest.

Deatrattle priest or N'Zoth priest isn't relevant either yet. Even if the opponent is playing midrange, here we don't talk about aggro decks because it has really low chances to do something, the deck wont be good enough. The quest n'zoth priest is also too slow, even if you get reno's wife it's still kinda bad.
i played exactly one deathrattle priest very early on. it shit on me. but he was getting some great res RNG and i was getting terrible discard rng
Well if the meta is defined by hyper aggression, you're sort of an idiot to try to play a deck that has weak board clear, weak board pressure, and gets off on late game value.

Ergo Priest haha

Maybe. We will see. Things aren't refined yet so metas tend to be punishing until slower decks figure out how slow is too slow
Need help?
Just Use Thunder!
I suspect that unless you can stabilize the board by turn 6, your control deck would be too slow. Control at this point is a combination of a) not dying by turn 4-5 a la pirates and b) being able to make card efficient trades (2 for 1 and whatnot). If you can reach the first part, most control decks can hit the second part.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Well I can honestly say sorry to Azze, I was wrong.

Quest Rogue might be among the top of quests to complete.

As the meta stands today, Pirate Warrior and Quest Rogue define the meta, and the meta is speed. Worth mentioning Trump lost to a turn 3 lethal on ladder yesterday against a hunter because of how insane that 2 mana 3/2 adapt a friendly beast card is. The "slowest" deck that makes sense right now is Elemental Shaman.

Worth mentioning that one of the top ranked legends on ladder right now is a guy playing exclusively taunt quest warrior, but he may be an outlier.

Again - too early to tell. Aggro always thrives at the very very beginning of the season of any new card rotation.

-----

Edit:

To be clear, I don't think Quest Rogue is OP. They apparently have really bad matchups against aggro decks. My problem is that the card design that Blizzard's created has turned into the worst form of Rock Paper Scissors.

Control should beat aggro, because it has tons of mana efficient tools to deal with the board.

Aggro should beat combo, because it forces combos to use it's win condition to deal with the board.

Combo should beat control, because most of Control's cards are dead. They interact with the board when combo decks generally don't attempt to have a board. Combo decks play from hand.

So what you should have are 3 decks, with 50% win rate against their own archetypes, and like... idk 65% win rate against the archetype it "counters", and 35% ish win rate against the deck that's designed to counter you. Regardless, the game should be interactive

Making decisions. The more decisions that can be made, the more making the right decision matters, the more skill matters, the less luck matters. Which... should be the objective of a card game.

So first Blizzard cheated this 50% deal by saying "Well Aggro vs. Reno is like 50% win rate, so it's fair!". The problem is, they achieved said winrate because that's approximately the percent chance you have of drawing reno by turn 6, and not being dead by turn 6. Which isn't fun and interactive.

Not to mention, you have Jade with literally infinite value. So you can't really ladder with a control deck because you can lose to combo decks, and you're guaranteed to lose to Jade Decks.

Fast forward to now:

Literally any deck can lose to aggro if the draws happen.

Un'Goro gave us a bunch of tools to deal with aggro.

Using those tools means you get annihilated by quest rogue.

So it's... rock paper scissors. Without interaction. You either are aggro to beat quest rogue, quest rogue to beat anything that's game plan is slower than "win by turn 6", and SOMEHOW supposedly control decks should beat aggro. But the ratios are disproportionate as shit. Every deck has much higher fail rate than ever before because blizzard's front loading important useful effects on legendary minions, meaning whether you win or lose so much more based off draw RNG than ever before. And the game costs a fuckton more, because archetypes are now defined by 2 or so class specific legendaries on top of any neutral legendaries that are just generally autoinclude (like say Bloodmage Thalnos)

So now, even aggro has a huge fail rate. Both the fail rate imposed by their own deck by drawing properly (having the weapon, having the murloc or pirate synergy, not drawing patches, etc.) and the fail rated imposed by their opponent's deck which is : will they draw the card that my deck literally can't afford to play against (which was Reno). Combo decks have even larger fail rates than before because you need even more combo pieces and can afford even less cycle cards. And control decks have even larger fail rates than before because sometimes you queue into druid and you literally lose anyways no matter what.

There was a time where the fast decks like Zoo ran like... 12 1 drops. And maybe 8 2 drops? So 20 of your 30 cards were playable almost immediately. So it was consistent... and thus we could balance around it.. and it was fair. Nowadays you'd be dumb to use those ratios, but to not use those ratios means your deck is inconsistent as shit.

So there you go, the game's design forces you to play a bunch of cards in a manner that's inconsistent as shit because if you don't you'll lose to the stupid wombo combos, and you'll lose if you don't pull off the wombo combo, and control feels pointless because of jade, and sometimes aggro just wins by turn 3 or 4 anyways. That's Hearthstone atm.

Again, optimistic people crack the code on this issue with the cards at hand, but there's no proof of that yet.
Last edited by Bodhisattva; Apr 10, 2017 at 05:52 PM.
Need help?
Just Use Thunder!
Hey guys so I recently started playing Hearthstone, fun as hell. So I'm trying to make a C'thun Hunter deck so obviously I open the Old God's pack and I unblox a legendary, Cho'gall but I don't know how to use him so should I either

A)Disenchant it and carry on with my Hunter C'thun Deck.
B)Make a mean Cho'gall Warlock deck but you guys will help me with that.
C)Disenchant and switch to another hero unless I Switch to warlock and it's B.
ishi - "I'm Hampa's Bitch Slappin' Hand"
I'm so proud Sparky
cthun hunter isnt even a deck stone and chogall is bad legendary aswell if you want to play cthun then make cthun druid
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
Technically, you can complete the quest by turn 3 if you go second. On turn 3, 1 drop, panda bounce it, coin, 1 drop, shadowstep, 1 drop, shadowstep, 1 drop. Profit. Bonus points if the 1 drop was stonetusk boar.

I really want to come back to this and reformulate, you can complete the quest by TURN 1 if you go 2nd. If you draw 2 same cards (let's say 2 dusk boars) and 1 shadowstep, when your turn comes if you draw the other shadowstep you can complete the quest that first turn you have. If your luck is over 9000 and you draw prep your next turn, that meaning turn 2 you can play crystal core fucking turn 2 and if your previous 2 minions didn't die, you have 2 5/5s in turn 2 and you can flood the board with 5/5s from turn 3.
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
Hey guys so I recently started playing Hearthstone, fun as hell. So I'm trying to make a C'thun Hunter deck so obviously I open the Old God's pack and I unblox a legendary, Cho'gall but I don't know how to use him so should I either

A)Disenchant it and carry on with my Hunter C'thun Deck.
B)Make a mean Cho'gall Warlock deck but you guys will help me with that.
C)Disenchant and switch to another hero unless I Switch to warlock and it's B.

i would not recommend c'thun hunter. If I were you, I'd disenchant cho'gall and use the dust to craft some other core cards for another deck.

Not sure how long you've been playing/how many of the core cards you have. I think a relatively cheap deck to build right now is zoo, which is a warlock deck. I would give that a try, even though cho'gall doesn't fit in that deck.