Ranking
View Poll Results: How do you pronounce Uke?
Ook
75 Votes / 27.27%
Yuke
105 Votes / 38.18%
U-keh
95 Votes / 34.55%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll
View Poll Results

I remember a thread long ago about the same thing, and iirc the correct way was ooh-keh. I still say ook, though.
Selling Kung Fu Master Beard $250 USD. Non-negotiable. Now accepting bitcoin! I'll accept an offer as low as 0.15BTC!
Pretend you're as elite as us old schoolers with this unique old schooler only beard!
DesertPunk

Please click this
Visit Buy something from my Poor Quality 3D/2D/Pixel/Photography/Sounds/Writing/Scripts/Anything Shop
o-kee

In my martial arts classes, the "uke" (okee) is the defender (or attacker) while the sensei performs a technique. Also, it sounds a bit relevant then You-k. :v
It's. . . been too long.
Pretty sure it's pronounced "ook-ee" or "oo-kay" (受け) considering that's how the Japanese pronounce it and it being a Japanese word and all.

(It means the person receiving the technique, whereas "Tori" means the person executing the technique, but also sounds like the Japanese word for bird. Or simply uke = defender, tori = attacker).
Last edited by 4zb41; Jul 29, 2011 at 03:16 AM.
I pronounce its as yoo-kay
Maybe almost similar as U-keh...
:/
we rub a mexican monkey
I used to say You Kay, but now i saw Youk. Btw why is his name uke?
-----
edit: nvrmind got it. In Japanese martial arts, the uke (受け?) (IPA: [ɯke]) is the person who "receives" a technique.
Last edited by cowman101; Jul 28, 2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
I ♥ BenDover
U-keh
'uke'comes from japanese
i didnt know this until my friend told me

(sorry about the italics, can get it away)