Ranking
Original Post
New acount starter items
This is a rough idea but
What if new players automatically got a full body set of 128 textures.
We could remove the sets value and make them untradeable

The pros
New players will be able to customize earlyer giving them a better feeling about their tori (hopefully extending their commitment to learning the game)
128 body is not worth all that much removing its value isn't that astronomical
The promise of customization made easyer

The cons
We lose 128 body textures as a marketable item set

Just an idea to make beginner's have a more enjoyable start to the game
From my stand point they will see the lack in quality in 128 and want to save for 256 or 512

Lemme know what other pros/cons there are to this

Noted post by sleepy

good points by sleepy

Last edited by Calamity; Apr 24, 2017 at 06:51 PM.
I still take texture requests for usd
I feel like it would be cooler if once they linked there account to an email they were rewarded with a spinner thing with different items on it and then they spun it and it randomly awarded them with one.

But it would have to be low price enough items that people wouldn't just make a ton of emails and new accounts
This will force them to learn how to draw these textures using photoshop and similar programs, which so many people wouldn't like to do if they get free items for customizations when they don't even know how to draw for the set.
And if they don't then they might have to play more just so they can buy them off others for high costs and then ending up with something they felt to be useless because the image resolution /=/ texture items(128-256-512), and quits the game for eternity due to the odd mechanism.
This might dramatically drop the values of 256x and 512x too, as well as affecting the market values of other similar items...

Oh and I hope if anything like this ever happens people don't abuse it using alts
Nah, there is a beginner giveaway for free items. Too much players just want free stuff and dont want to work for it. Its not that hard to earn 20k TC for a full 128x set, right, so why make it free?
Also not everyone will really want to have it, agreed with Noki.
I think about belt rewards - would be a good addition, with full 128x as one of the prizes.
Spinning wheel, the prizes are better and better as high your belt is.
Those who are 10th dans already get the reward for all they have played, a lot of free stuff you know.
But i believe that belt rewards wont be implemented: it's cool when a player reaches blue belt and gets his 500tc reward, but thats 50k for every 100 blue belts, just a lot of free tc generated.
And pretty much the same thing for textures, you think it will slightly, but this will affect the economy a lot.

Also please, just think what to do with those who already have 128x textures?
Some may have a couple of textures that they have bought, some may have a full set already.
Someone may have a good collection of 50 full 128x sets - what to do here?
Will it be right to make these untradeable?
It would be cool to see a shift in Toribash towards providing near-total customization from the start (with a fix for preventing alts)

As unlikely as it is, it's interesting to think about.

I'm sure having such customization for your character from the start would increase retention rates a bit. People get attached to personalized characters. If knowledge about how you can create art for your character spread outside the community, we'd definitely get some more artists in because of it, as well as artists who happen to join normally. Art and art/textures boards would get a good bump in activity. There's a chance the community as a whole would get a little more artsy with events and such, which would be pretty cool. 128x textures are cool for a while, but eventually you'll get jealous of the richer boys with their fancy 512x. There would be no drop in demand for 256x and 512x texture items. They might even get a boost over time.

On the opposite end, I'm not sure how much storage the Toribash servers have. Having a bunch (BUNCH) more 128 images could make things a little tighter. However, any resulting increase in activity (from publicizing a big update like this, which should be done) would likely merit an upgrade if necessary. Many marketeers would probably be mad, some more than with the 3d item price drops. I encourage staff not to care about that. Benefiting new users is more important than benefiting older marketeers who've already established their wealth and know how to make up for the lack of tradeable 128 texture items.

Overall, including this in a future big update would be really cool and not particularly difficult to implement, disregarding possible storage issues. I would heavily support staff considering this. I'm sure I missed a lot of potential pros and cons, but to me it seems like a cool idea so far. For new players, it is hard to get 20k and higher amounts to purchase things like this. I can almost guarantee most people don't get that amount until they've played for weeks and gotten hundreds of qi. (looking from the perspective of an average player who adds toribash to their list of frequently played games, rather than one who has it as their main game and plays it for hours every day.)
Last edited by Kahn; Apr 24, 2017 at 05:47 PM.