ES Recruitment Drive
actually its not the end of the pc,because the pc is not old gen.xbox 360 and ps3 are the only consoles which is from the old gen era which means that they will release only for pc ps4 and xboxone so i dont think that this security thing will make the pc boring and i when i tried to sent invite today it worked without purchasing something before the invite so i dont think they made it.
Wait, didn't you have to spend money to get half of these features for years now?

Trading cards never dropped from F2P games unless you've made a total of $9 purchases in them, friends were also somehow restricted unless you had a non-f2p game on your account. Restricting Greenlight / Workshop reviews would only help to prevent people from spamming votes from alt accounts.

I'm pretty sure snake was talking about something else. Anyway, he should've expanded his post because what we have now is definitely not a discussion-level OP.
Originally Posted by sir View Post
Wait, didn't you have to spend money to get half of these features for years now?

Trading cards never dropped from F2P games unless you've made a total of $9 purchases in them, friends were also somehow restricted unless you had a non-f2p game on your account. Restricting Greenlight / Workshop reviews would only help to prevent people from spamming votes from alt accounts.

I'm pretty sure snake was talking about something else. Anyway, he should've expanded his post because what we have now is definitely not a discussion-level OP.

He's talking about this. Steam is now allowing modders for Skyrim to lock their mods behind a paywall, of whatever price they set to it (afaik). Steam will take in 75% of the money, while the modders (and I assume developers) are left to split the remaining 25%. Alternatively, modders can also take a "pay what you want" approach to selling their mods, although this feature does have a minimum price. The option to have you mod be distributed for free is also still an option, but I don't think many people will be doing this any longer.
Originally Posted by NotShadow View Post
Steam will take in 75% of the money, while the modders (and I assume developers) are left to split the remaining 25%.

Nope. The devs are the ones who decide what the cut is. In the case of Skyrim, Modders get 25%, and the devs and Steam split the 75%. That's what's causing at least a third of the outrage. The other two thirds is about how they have to pay for the mods in the first place.
Last edited by hawkesnightmare; Apr 24, 2015 at 07:40 AM.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
Originally Posted by NotShadow View Post
He's talking about this. Steam is now allowing modders for Skyrim to lock their mods behind a paywall, of whatever price they set to it (afaik). Steam will take in 75% of the money, while the modders (and I assume developers) are left to split the remaining 25%. Alternatively, modders can also take a "pay what you want" approach to selling their mods, although this feature does have a minimum price. The option to have you mod be distributed for free is also still an option, but I don't think many people will be doing this any longer.

But isn't that for the good, too?
Mods aren't something you have to get to play a game, it's rather something that can possibly improve the gaming experience. Some mods take loads of time to make, why can't modders profit from them? It makes perfect sense for me that they're making it possible to add a price tag on your work. Game developers get an incentive to attract good modders, good modders get an incentive to provide players with better mods.

That reminds me of the hysteria over youtube's paid channels back when they were introduced and people saying that "it was the end of free entertainment" or whatever they did say about that.
Originally Posted by sir View Post
But isn't that for the good, too?
Mods aren't something you have to get to play a game, it's rather something that can possibly improve the gaming experience. Some mods take loads of time to make, why can't modders profit from them? It makes perfect sense for me that they're making it possible to add a price tag on your work. Game developers get an incentive to attract good modders, good modders get an incentive to provide players with better mods.

That reminds me of the hysteria over youtube's paid channels back when they were introduced and people saying that "it was the end of free entertainment" or whatever they did say about that.

I'd like to see how it pans out, but I'm not terribly optimistic at the moment. In other news, people are taking mods from sources that are not on the Steam Workshop (popular modding forums + websites for skyrim mods) and selling them on the Steam Workshop to make a quick buck.

One problem that was brought up to me was the fact that Steam doesn't guarantee a mod will always work. So if a game updates and breaks some of the mods you paid for, then you're SOL until they come out for a fix for it, if the modders ever do. For a game like Skyrim, that isn't likely to happen as it is an aging title that isn't really receiving any attention from the devs, but if this paid system comes out for newer games it could lose a lot of people a lot of money.
One problem that was brought up to me was the fact that Steam doesn't guarantee a mod will always work

But that's what mod reviews exist for. Of course users who buy them first (though I don't know why would you even pay for a mod that isn't reviewed by anyone yet and you're not sure the modder is capable of making working stuff) will risk losing money by getting non-working crap, but in case the mod is broken everyone else will know that. After all, people can always report workshop items to get them banned from the store.

It's the same as with Early Access / Greenlight games really, Steam never guaranteed that content you get from them would work.
the day pc gaming died

gg, gabe

whats going on? valve monetize workshop

will edit on next break, in short - monetizing 3rd party content means that people are removing mods from sites like Nexus, and make it workshop exclusive, since they can put a price tag on it. another problem is that people can steal same 3rd party mods and upload it on workshop and profit of it, and considering how lazy workshop moderation ever was, it's going to be just as bad.

the danger is real,

so it was good while it lasted folks, get ready for cash grab micro mods with weapon skins etc, and say good bye to total conversion mods

to be fair, i'm not talking about tf2 / csgo, but games like skyrim, g-mod or arma, which depend largely on 3rd party content will suffer greatly.

what it also means that valve makes an environment where from now on, uploading mods anywhere else than workshop is counter productive as a) you can not profit from it; b) your work can be stolen, uploaded and profited from (it was happenning constantly on workshop before, but it was mostly about creativity rights, but when money is in the mix, things always go south.

@anybody who says that modders should be rewarded - this is correct, but the more appropriate way to reward modders would be "donation" option.

if anybody does believe valve is doing it in any good intention, to clarify:
valve gets 75% cut from purchaise of 3rd party content which is beyond insane.

also even if valve will change it due to outcry by steam customers (very unlikely they would give a fuck), but this just have created a precident of charging for 3rd party content.

the only real advantage of pc gaming is modding scene, which was in decline already, and now welcome to the era of early-access-3rd-party-micro-dlc.

just wow.
Last edited by snake; Apr 24, 2015 at 09:21 AM.
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
the modders get more money this way so I don't see how this is bad in any way apart from stinges who don't like paying for things
Originally Posted by Appledong View Post
the modders get more money this way so I don't see how this is bad in any way apart from stinges who don't like paying for things

try to read my post again.
if you have problems with attention span - it's your problem, don't make it mine next time you post. thanks
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15