Toribash
Original Post
drumming advice
i just started playing last week, and im wondering if i just suck or my set is ultra cheap (it was) because this shit keeps happening

If the beater keeps coming off, then it is probably ultra cheap

EDIT: anyways for drumming advice, I'd suggest working on how you grip the stick, and try a drum rudiment called a Paradiddle, which can help you expand your horizons in drumming along with training your hands to do more complex things.

Paradiddle

As for gripping the stick, it's usually best to find the perfect balance to where you can get the most bounce of the stick, but also have a good amount of power. Too far up and you will get less bounce and less power, but too far down and you will get less bounce and more power. You should also hold the stick in a way to where you can grip it without it slipping out, but not too hard to where your hand starts to hurt.
Last edited by Moonshake; Sep 28, 2014 at 02:48 AM.

Discord: bicycleforrats
<[Obey]Quest> yall needa tap into my telegram on gad
Chase Sapphire Reserve® Cardholder
Are the beaters really loose when you put them back in? If so, you might have to screw them in tighter with a drum key. Most pedals use that system, but if not I'd just buy a new pedal because even a moderately decent one is pretty cheap.
ORMO|Retired
ive done the paradiddle and various exercises, and i know proper grip but i didnt use it in this video because im an idiot who cant get into the habit. you're supposed to hold the stick about a third of the way up with your front fingers and thumb right?

thanks for your advice, i'll keep practicing
Last edited by SlyBash; Sep 28, 2014 at 03:12 AM.
A third sounds about right depending on how large your hands are. For me it's a little less than a third because my hands are pretty small. Mainly you should make minor adjustments until it feels right to you, while keeping in mind the issue of balance and power.

As for practicing I recommend some finger exercises as well, finger strength becomes really important when you get to playing fast because it allows you to relax and use less movement as opposed to putting all the exertion into your arms, which doesn't give good results.

Finger exercises

edit: fucked up the spoiler but now its fixed
Last edited by Private; Sep 28, 2014 at 03:57 AM.
ORMO|Retired

fixed 4 u

also i'm starting lessons in a couple days now, so hopefully i wont be so clueless! thank you. this video is helpful
Last edited by SlyBash; Sep 28, 2014 at 04:00 AM.