Ranking
Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
What schools in my country are lacking is teaching efficient methods of learning and the basics behind the scientific method. Those should be taught from a very early age on so children have the mental tools necessary to acquire knowledge on their own.

Research assignments are pretty common in schools around here, YMMV.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Originally Posted by WeooWeoo View Post
Science is VERY good for a person's future.

Originally Posted by WeooWeoo View Post
Astronomy

The irony here is just totally awe inspiring.
Originally Posted by raaage View Post
The irony here is just totally awe inspiring.

Way to quote things out of context, raaage.

1. Stated my opinion
2. Stated a personal interest in one of the fields of science.

You made zero sense.

"Dear reader, I hope this email finds you before I do."
Raaage is just mixing up astronomy and astrology. Carry on.
Last edited by Ele; Jun 15, 2015 at 04:31 PM.
All of you that are bringing up the fact that students might not pay attention in these other suggested classes are forgetting the simple fact that it would be and is a constant between these academic preparation classes and the suggested real life preparation classes. Students already don't pay attention in their mathematics, science, and history classes.

I'm all for classes that teach things a little more practical for real life than, say, calculus. Don't get me wrong; I love math. But do you really need it? Probably not. Students struggle to see the point of most of the subjects, because there really isn't any point for a lot of them, unless you were to actually pursue a career in that particular field.

Take history for example. Do we really need to know how long the American Revolution lasted? I'd much rather learn about why the American Revolution was fought, the perspectives of the opposing sides, and how it eventually ended. Schools should be adding a lot more emphasis on learning from history, instead of learning about history.

It's possible to point out pages upon pages of flaws in the curriculum of today's schools, and anyone who tries to say otherwise simply isn't looking. There's a lot to improve, and I think adding some courses to help prepare for real life would help solve at least one of those problems.
Originally Posted by pouffywall View Post

I'm all for classes that teach things a little more practical for real life than, say, calculus. Don't get me wrong; I love math. But do you really need it? Probably not. Students struggle to see the point of most of the subjects, because there really isn't any point for a lot of them, unless you were to actually pursue a career in that particular field.

Math is practical in the sense that it enforces problem solving skills among students. Advanced Mathematics should still be in place as required curriculum, but schools need to start providing classes that will prepare students for the real world.
Valterain1 was defeated by hermaphrodite on Oct 17, 2015.
Originally Posted by WeooWeoo
I made zero sense.

Indeed you did, but thanks for having to courage to admit your mistakes it's very brave of you.

Originally Posted by Ele View Post
Raaage is just mixing up astronomy and astrology. Carry on.

^
Originally Posted by pouffywall View Post
I'm all for classes that teach things a little more practical for real life than, say, calculus. Don't get me wrong; I love math. But do you really need it? Probably not.

probably yes, because math is the closest thing we've made to a language that could possibly explain every occurrence in the universe
oh yeah
I should have been more clear. I specifically meant calculus when I asked if we really needed it to be required. I completely agree that we should be teaching at least algebra.

My apologies for wasting your time.
Originally Posted by raaage View Post
Indeed you did, but thanks for having to courage to admit your mistakes it's very brave of you.

^

Lol. Such a Pathetic Child.

I agree, I wish mandatory classes would teach better things for life, like say, how to pay taxes, or how to pay for a house. There are some classes for that, but aren't very well known in High School.

"Dear reader, I hope this email finds you before I do."