Ranking
Original Post
The Showcase — Revamp
Let's take a quick look at this thread: http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=362682

I've got to admit, I think it's an incredibly awesome concept. It was created specifically to recognize super awesome art created by super awesome people—that's pretty freaking awesome.

Unfortunately, the thread seems to have died off (more like it died soon after it was born), but I was wondering, why would something like this not exist within our community? It's something that simply makes players feel good about themselves; not only are artists receiving recognition for a totally awesome piece of art that they created, but they're being immortalized in a thread for everyone in the community to see for years to come. THAT, my friends, is called spreading joy within a community of friends and people, and THAT, my people, is called the widespread of positivity.

Presumably we'll need a select group of volunteers to participate in this selection of art—be it the current art moderators or a group of people selected by an application process—or we can just leave it to a voting process of the people of the community. It honestly doesn't matter.

But come on guys, this would be super freaking awesome to have back in the community. And who knows, maybe we'll see a booming art industry after bringing this back, eh?

Leave any comments and suggestions down below; I would be more than happy to add them onto the thread!

**NOTE: This thread was created to have staff involvement with the revamp. I realized after creating the thread, why not have a monthly competition hosted by the Event Squad team for people to produce the best textures/videos/freestyle art? They could then be immortalized in some Hall of Glory-like thread for people to glorify over their art. A pretty vague suggestion, sure, but there's more than one way to implement this back into the community. Let's see it happen!

List of awesome feedback from awesome people:

yay

Last edited by Creati0n; Mar 23, 2017 at 08:55 PM. Reason: made a list of super awesome feedback
Hey dudes! I went ahead and updated what the event would potentially look like and tidied it up a bit. Hopefully this gives everyone a rundown of how the showcase would work. Thanks everyone for the awesome support!

Trimonthly — The Showcase

Last edited by Creati0n; Mar 23, 2017 at 08:58 PM. Reason: edited in a hypothetical deadline
Just too shove this boat even further, I think this concept is a great one at that.
There are a few artists among this community that have some of the most visually pleasing artworks I have seen for a game made by the community. I understand that quite a few moderators are interested in this as well, and they wouldn't mind contributing to this. Giving recognition to those who have skill is a great idea, and I'm having a hard time grasping the downfalls of this other than funding, if that's needed.

Supported.
The showcase was intended to be a much more low-key version of the head expo, with the head expo being ruled by the top 1% it became stagnant, the showcase was meant to be less formal, more fluid, during a time where the art community was in a pretty quiet state.

I never found monthly events to be effective, for pretty much anything in toribash, keeping the community interested for months on end is difficult and it puts as much, if not more, strain on those hosting the event.
Making it an event also means there has to be a result.
And with the art community in the state it is atm, you're going to end up promoting mediocrity.
The showcase as youve described it, is no different from the "headtexture of the month" event.

The point is to encourage people to create, not compete.
So what if theres downtime of a month or two between posts? the point is for it to be long lasting, low maintenance and easy to pick up be updated by new people.
Making it an event takes away from the showcase aspect of it.

Texturers make enough TC already, give them recognition, without having to actively participate, and you'll see progress.
The point of the showcase was that they didnt have to submit things or stick to deadlines, good art was acknowledged whenever it showed up.
All it needed, was someone who liked to browse the art board.

Just my 2 cents.
Last edited by BenDover; Mar 31, 2017 at 12:31 PM.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
The showcase was intended to be a much more low-key version of the head expo, with the head expo being ruled by the top 1% it became stagnant, the showcase was meant to be less formal, more fluid, during a time where the art community was in a pretty quiet state.

I never found monthly events to be effective, for pretty much anything in toribash, keeping the community interested for months on end is difficult and it puts as much, if not more, strain on those hosting the event.
Making it an event also means there has to be a result.
And with the art community in the state it is atm, you're going to end up promoting mediocrity.
The showcase as youve described it, is no different from the "headtexture of the month" event.

The point is to encourage people to create, not compete.
So what if theres downtime of a month or two between posts? the point is for it to be long lasting, low maintenance and easy to pick up be updated by new people.
Making it an event takes away from the showcase aspect of it.

Texturers make enough TC already, give them recognition, without having to actively participate, and you'll see progress.
The point of the showcase was that they didnt have to submit things or stick to deadlines, good art was acknowledged whenever it showed up.
All it needed, was someone who liked to browse the art board.

Just my 2 cents.

I second what bendover said
the showcase isnt an event

As bodhisattva said before Id be more then willing to heavily contribute to the showcase(searching for work to display)
if you want to add an incentive for players to make art
an extra like 5-10k per showcase addition would be enough(id even be willing to put in funding)
1-2 headtextures a week or 1 a week
or video
or set
or painting. just anything that gets added. as long as there is a standard to the way its gone about the showcase would be successful

thou reviving the Head texture of the month would be cool
its not the showcases intention

not saying dont add the winners
do add the winners to the showcase
but also like the old thread have it be anything floating in the community
I still take texture requests for usd
Originally Posted by Creati0n View Post
Any update on ES funding for this?

Seeing there's been no ES answer, I think mine would suffice.

I'm afraid that mentioning funding lead you to the wrong direction with this, I'd like to repeat the most important part of my post once again:
Originally Posted by sir
You can't judge the art by a monthly competition because good artwork (or replays, or mods, or anything else) is not something that's produced on some fixed schedule. There can be nothing worthy for months, then there can be 10 outstanding works within a week. People may also not be aware / not care about the event...

According to this, running the showcase same way as it was managed in past but also rewarding artists whose works got featured = good; running a monthly/bimonthly/whatever-monthly event = no different from any other art event and thus isn't as good. Not saying it's bad, but it has lots of flaws and doesn't really fit the idea of showcasing art.
Completely agree with BenDover on this, guess I should have worded my first post a bit better.
I can completely float with the idea of low maintenance, open all the time showcasing. I'll just need to revise my original idea to fit the theme of an actual showcase, and make it not so event-like. However, I may very well keep the original idea just so the ES can use it as a modified Head Texture of the Month idea—just opened to different categories and an in-general longer rotation of three months.

Thanks dudes for the feedback on all of this; I'll revise it whenever I get a little bit of spare time.
Last edited by Creati0n; Apr 1, 2017 at 01:37 AM. Reason: note to self: create new art and revise to fit general idea of old showcase
Hey guys! I finally got a little extra time to revise my draft to be similar to the original Toribash art showcase. My original draft could be something similar to the HotM event, but rather made to be trimonthly (allows more time for art to be submitted) and set to be made for three categories.

The Official Toribash Showcase

Let me know what you guys think! I've gotta throw together some new art, but you guys get the general idea of it. (:
Last edited by Creati0n; Apr 5, 2017 at 10:57 PM. Reason: fixed some typos
So it's just for featuring art that's related to Toribash then? If it is then your draft seems fine.

If it isn't and the thread just celebrates and memorialises good art in general, well there'd be no need for the categories (with their separate threads) as they would just limit the forms of art that could be submitted. Better to just have one general showcase thread if it's inclusive of non-Toribash art. Also just for ease of access (even if we're just featuring Toribash art), it'd be more convenient to view all the great art in one place, as opposed to strewn out across several threads.

I think a thread featuring great art in general (including Toribash art) is cooler than a thread that features Toribash art only, but that's just me.
Last edited by Ele; Apr 7, 2017 at 05:02 PM.
It's just for Toribash-related art, but it can be edited to fit the idea of all art. It just depends on what the community wants.