ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Toribash server maintenance
Ohai thar.

As some of you may or may not have heard, Toribash will undergo some rather heavy maintenance in the near future. Along with a general overhaul of more or less everything, Toribash will migrate to some brand new and shiny hardware, as the current steam-powered system from the 1800's is at the end of its life cycle. And no, an exact date for this has not been set yet, but it looks like some time early December.

What this means to you primarily consists of two things:
First of all, there's A LOT of stuff that needs to be moved. Some of the moving process has already started, and this might affect performance. And example of why we prefer to get a head start is that there's one directory of ~80Gb where the content changes all the time, and we take any headway we can get. Hint: textures
Secondly, during the actual migration, some downtime is to be expected. While the vast majority of the content can be transferred with the system is live, there is an estimated period of 30 minutes to an hour where everything will be down while the last bits and pieces are put in place. Might be more, might be less, depending on how fast the remaining bits and pieces get synced over. Once the core stuff has been completed, and tested fine, services will be brought online as they become ready. For example, and from the looks of things, once the complete blackout is over, the game will be fully playable, and the forum will be fully functional, while torishop (partially or fully) will not be available until later.

Before you ask a question regarding this, I would like to point out that the autistic number-crunchers in the basement haven't been flogged enough lately, so they have not produced a whole lot of useful info that can be shared at this point. Relevant and important info will be posted when it becomes available, such as exact time/date for the downtime. Everything will be properly announced in good time.
Last edited by Jarmund; Nov 25, 2011 at 10:18 AM.
Originally Posted by TheLittleMan View Post
They may sound stupid, but why do we have to do all this migrating and whatnot?

* Out of date hardware
* Need for a new host (current one isn't as good as it ought to be)
* The common case of system grown too large compared to what it should be
* Restructuring some of the system (no more daily outage during backup, hopefully!)
^its clearly stated on the first post:

And no, an exact date for this has not been set yet, but it looks like some time early December.

pay more attention when reading in the next time, and btw

good job dev's, indeed, its worth having a few problems, since it will be better later.
thank you, and good luck.
This is great. Only an hour is great for upgrading from this old dinosaur.

Good luck, can't wait to see how it improves.
RIP [TPC]
This guy was once a GameMaster
Originally Posted by PieGod View Post
Only an hour is great for upgrading from this old dinosaur.

Well, the actuall time it takes to do it is more or less unmeasurable. To put it this way, planning started about a month ago, and the work started a few days ago, and will be over some time after the game is operational on the new servers. The hour is only a short period of time when everything will have to be taken down.
Originally Posted by Jarmund View Post
Well, the actuall time it takes to do it is more or less unmeasurable. To put it this way, planning started about a month ago, and the work started a few days ago, and will be over some time after the game is operational on the new servers. The hour is only a short period of time when everything will have to be taken down.

Well yeah, that's what I meant. The fact that most of it can be accomplished while still online is awesome.
RIP [TPC]
This guy was once a GameMaster
anyways out textures,joints, items. . . etc will
not be lost?
anyways good job
B I T C H D O N ' T K I L L M Y V I B E