Toribash
Original Post
Ranking Season One

Hello there!

Today we announce the new seasonal ranking system for Toribash.

• No more monthly rank resets.
    The first season is going to last for 3 months and will end on July 10th, 2017. No resets until then, even if you stay inactive for a few weeks and then come back.

• No more public ranked rooms.
    We all know the old ranking was a farm fest with some of the top players only fighting their friends who would lose on purpose. This would no longer be possible. All the public ranked rooms have been removed.

• No more daily rank 1 rewards.
    You spend half the day playing, get rank 1 and already dream of buying that new 3D item but then you login the next day and know that some Russian stole your prize because he played a bit more when it was the right time. Sounds bad, right? That's why we have removed the daily rewards - instead, the best players will get their prizes when the season is over.

• The new matchmaking.
    With the new system, the only way to rank up is to use the ranked mode in Matchmaking. We have made some significant updates to it in Toribash 5.12 thanks to your feedback.

We tried our best to both reduce the waiting time and make sure players can't select their opponents - and that's the why ranked matchmaking is used for the new ranking. When it's peak time, you no longer have to wait in a queue; once there is someone else willing to play, you will be instantly put in a fight. More than two players searching at once? The system will pick a better opponent for you to fight based on your rank.

• Brown belt restriction.
    Sorry beginners, but ranked fights are for those who can stay on their feet for more than 50 frames.

• Automatic mod choice.
    Unlike unranked matchmaking, you cannot choose what mods to play with ranked. If you aim for the top, you've got to be the best at everything, be it aikido or wushu. Ranked matchmaking is using 3 mods from different mod groups, and we will rotate them each month. April mods are as classic as they can be: aikidobigdojo.tbm, lenshu3ng.tbm and taekkyon.tbm.

• Best of 5 duels.
    To ensure the matchmaking session isn't luck-based, ranked fights are first-to-three duels. Accidentally lost an arm in a kicking mod and grappling mods aren't your strongest side? You still have a striking mod left which can give you a second chance at kicking.

Top 100 players will be rewarded at the end of the season

• Rank #1: 500.000 Toricredits, Pure + Demon Pack, unique 3D item.
  • Rank #2: 400.000 Toricredits, Magma + Azurite Pack, limited edition 3D item.
  • Rank #3: 300.000 Toricredits, Tesla + Boreal Pack, limited edition 3D item.
  • Ranks #4-10: 100.000 Toricredits, limited edition 3D item.
  • Ranks #11-100: limited edition 3D item.

July 1st update: ranking data has been restored, the new season end date is July 10th, 2017.
Matchmaking boosters stay active until the end of this season.
Last edited by sir; Jul 1, 2017 at 03:15 PM.
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
Well I personally am not interested in a farming simulator, let's leave it at that.

I figured. Any suggestions on how to make it better?

The individual games determine the ranks, not the whole match.
You can quit between games and not lose elo
You get matched with the same person 10 times in a row
Because of your elo algorith it's mostly about who plays the most.

Literally gave 4 in 1 post.
"Any suggestions?"
Last edited by cowmeat; May 3, 2017 at 06:52 PM.
Literally gave 4 in 1 post.
"Any suggestions?"

These arent suggestions they are issues, for it to be a suggestion you have to tell us what you would do to fix these issues.
My way or no way, totalatarian.
The individual games determine the ranks, not the whole match.
You can quit between games and not lose elo
You get matched with the same person 10 times in a row

1. Changing this would increase the gap between better players and worse players, not help at getting rid of current ways to exploit the system. Those who are currently top 50 will lose ELO even less often -> the more they play, the more elo they get (same as now but worse).
2. Will either consider elo penalty for quitting mid-session or other sort of punishment when a player had significantly less fights in a certain mod.
3. Already addressed this in an earlier post.

"Our" elo algorithm is the regular elo algorithm.
Originally Posted by sir View Post
1. Changing this would increase the gap between better players and worse players

How is this a problem? This is what everyone should want

2. Will either consider elo penalty for quitting mid-session or other sort of punishment when a player had significantly less fights in a certain mod.

Hey that's good

3. Already addressed this in an earlier post.

"Our" elo algorithm is the regular elo algorithm.

I don't think its very functional since it favors activity so much more than wirate

Hey, hey, sir. Been awhile! Happy late birthday, bud!

Competitive part of the game should have been implemented a VERY long time ago, staff never did anything in regards of making dueling fair and yet people kept doing it because playing for fun just does not work for some. Props to you for making this possible. Reinstalled the game a after such a long time just to try this out.

Aaaand if to be honest I have zero clue how this thing works. I have almost 4000 hours combined in League of Legends and Overwatch that runs elo system, but this thing just feels way worse. (Then again, my knowledge is limited regarding this, so I'm sorry if these are two completely different things)

I queued up for my first match as Global rank 625. Got matched up against #25.
I was like, okay, that's pretty cool, some sort of placement system so I wouldn't have to start from the bottom, I get to play against the best until it decides where I actually belong and then starts pairing me up with players of my rank. I was pretty happy about the idea of winning a couple of matches in a row and perhaps even chasing Top 5.

Rekt the guy 3-0, went up from 625 to 620.

So basically you get paired up against someone who made it really high already and get zero award for it. Fair enough for me, if I'd put time and effort I could climb easily, but for a player that's not as familiar with the game, jumping into ranked games and getting paired up against people who are top 30 already is just an absolute non sense. You will most likely lose and even if you manage to win somehow, you pretty much get zero reward for it rank wise.

The entire thing seems to be really rushed and shouldn't have been launched that early, especially considering how big the prizes are.

But then again, that's just my opinion.
Cheers.

Edit: How difficult would it be to implement Placement matches? And would it solve any problems?
Last edited by Kristis133; May 4, 2017 at 02:09 PM.
~Rainbow Belt|[Tint]|Rank 32~
\:D/ RAINBOW PANDAAAAA \:D/
~GameMaster|BISH|GameGrad|ORMO|ToriPrime L-Mod~

ZinxGlowToastBondyLoxSwyneErth
[Bsns][Fr3styL][Colon3][One][SyN][Rvng]

Toribash World Championship 2011 Runner Up

<AlphasoniK> Kristis: What the fuck is wrong with you, rainbow loving panda freak.
Seriously, try to piss standing up for a change. No life girly pants dimwit.

Originally Posted by Kristis133 View Post
Aaaand if to be honest I have zero clue how this thing works. I have almost 4000 hours combined in League of Legends and Overwatch that runs elo system, but this thing just feels way worse. (Then again, my knowledge is limited regarding this, so I'm sorry if these are two completely different things)

I queued up for my first match as Global rank 625. Got matched up against #25.
I was like, okay, that's pretty cool, some sort of placement system so I wouldn't have to start from the bottom, I get to play against the best until it decides where I actually belong and then starts pairing me up with players of my rank. I was pretty happy about the idea of winning a couple of matches in a row and perhaps even chasing Top 5.

The problem you're describing is just due to the lack of players. You 2 were probably the only people using matchmaking at that time. And if it's a choice between getting matched up with people of very different elos or just not finding any matches at all, I'd prefer the first one.

For a matchmaking system to work properly you need a large userbase. It will never feel anything like LoL or Overwatch until there are a lot more users.

Rekt the guy 3-0, went up from 625 to 620.

So basically you get paired up against someone who made it really high already and get zero award for it. Fair enough for me, if I'd put time and effort I could climb easily, but for a player that's not as familiar with the game, jumping into ranked games and getting paired up against people who are top 30 already is just an absolute non sense. You will most likely lose and even if you manage to win somehow, you pretty much get zero reward for it rank wise.

The elo algorithm is exactly the same as any other elo based ranking system. The ranks themselves can take a while to catch up though. Pay more attention to your elo rather than the rank itself.

But still, the elo differences between #600 and #25 aren't actually that big anyway, so you wouldn't get as significant a reward for it as you'd probably think. Again, this is due to fairly low activity and a small user base.

Anyways, although matchmaking can never work that well without many players, I don't think we'd ever be able to gain such a large userbase without a proper matchmaking system for ranked games. So for now it's not perfect, but will hopefully help Toribash grow in the future

Also hi Kristis
one time i had a hair deep in my urethra and when i pulled it out it felt kinda good ~fudgiebalz 2020

<~Skul> they're not children, they're demon midgets
<~Skul> if you kill one in front of the rest, they'll scatter and leave
Just wanted to note something amusing. My elo is currently BELOW base of 1600 in erthtk because so many people rage after being rekt before the match ends, or even right after seeing a single digit rank... and the winner doesn't get any elo for that. So basically a large percentage of my losses and only a fraction of my victories are taken into account. On the graph you can see that as soon as I achieved a decent global rank, my rank in one of the mods I'm best in started dropping thanks to the aforementioned self-admitted activities of unscrupulous players. Lest I be accused of whining, I want it noted that despite these issues I am very much enjoying the matchmaking system. I only wish it had been implemented when I first started playing, when the dueling and competitive community was larger. I have faith that with continued innovations the core concept of this game is attractive enough for a resurgence.
hey so I have specced accidentally twice now due to leaving matchmaking open and not finding anyone, getting caught up in netflix and spacing against randoms
these guys were both ranked in the hundreds. Do you think you could roll out an update that turns off matchmaking after 5 min or whatever seems reasonable? Otherwise, just force pause it when in a locked down room with knockout on so it doesn't pull you from a tourney if you go afk? I'm also willing to find medo4265 and rish3zi and beat them until they admit they couldn't have beaten me for my elo back
Last edited by rcarey; May 10, 2017 at 03:45 PM.
Originally Posted by rcarey View Post
hey so I have specced accidentally twice now due to leaving matchmaking open and not finding anyone, getting caught up in netflix and spacing against randoms
these guys were both ranked in the hundreds. Do you think you could roll out an update that turns off matchmaking after 5 min or whatever seems reasonable? Otherwise, just force pause it when in a locked down room with knockout on so it doesn't pull you from a tourney if you go afk? I'm also willing to find medo4265 and rish3zi and beat them until they admit they couldn't have beaten me for my elo back

entirely your fault

also why is karteiro rank 1 with 1600 elo