Ranking
Original Post
Building a New PC, Looking for Opinions, etc
I'VE UPDATED THE LIST TO BE A FULL PC ON ITS OWN -OPERATING SYSTEM AS I ALREADY HAVE ONE
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/PjqL9W

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
SSD: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
OD: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Anyone have any opinions about this build, etc?
Last edited by DruggedPanda; Sep 21, 2016 at 04:32 AM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SmallBowl] [fallu] [Moop] [Parrot] [SkulFuk] [Icky] [Sassy]
[Ex-MSquad]
Need help with any market related questions? Feel free to PM ME. <Powas> I've got a degree in 1001 techniques of masturbation
overall seems pretty good from what i know

i don't believe you NEED the liquid cpu cooler, but it doesn't hurt if you have the money for one.

500W psu should be sufficient

for the RAM, getting 2 sticks of 8 is better than 1 of 16, unless you plan to get another stick of 16 soon.

if you already have a hard drive, you might want to invest in a SSD, pretty sure they're really helpful when it comes to stuff like boot up time, and other stuff idk, but do research.

someone correct me on any of this if it's false info
[CENTER][B]professor finesser
Mongius, seems most of the money is being wasted on things that arent needed like a power supply, solid state drive, $5 extra on two 8 gbs of ram rather than a single 16gb ram and that motherboard is honestly trash
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[Ex-MSquad]
Need help with any market related questions? Feel free to PM ME. <Powas> I've got a degree in 1001 techniques of masturbation
If you want to save money on things that aren't technically needed, you can also drop the CPU cooler (use stock cooler, it's free and it's good enough, let's be honest) and the case (air flow is nearly a myth, lol).

Getting a slightly higher quality power supply than you need opens up upgrade paths and ensures that it's not going to explode on you. If you want us to look into whether or not your current 500W PSU is worth replacing, please post its exact model. You might be perfectly correct, and it might actually be a gem that needs no further mention.

SSDs are nice. If you use programs that have long load times, chances are very good that an SSD will cut those load times by some amount. Sometimes it's not much, since the loading is actually CPU heavy (decompression), but sometimes it's disk speed limited. If it's disk speed limited, SSDs will decrease loading times by over 90% in most cases. This usually also includes your operating system. An SSD is not strictly necessary, but I'd recommend it.

2x8 versus 1x16 is nearly personal preference, but 2x8 is faster since it's dual channel. Note that most people are never really limited by RAM speed. The only game I can think of where RAM speed is an issue is Dwarf Fortress, so it probably won't come up. You also get the advantage that for $5 that it's almost guaranteed that both sticks of RAM will not be DOA, so if you're worried about getting your new computer up as quickly as possible that'd probably be a plus.

When buying a motherboard for price, the first question you should be asking is what features you need. Then buy the most expensive motherboard that has those features and nothing extra, and you'll get a decent mix of quality and price efficiency. What features on the MSI Z170A can you not live without? What features does the Gigabyte GA-B150M-DSH3 require? Why is the Gigabyte board trash? More so, do you actually require a non-trash motherboard? Even the worst motherboards these days are actually pretty decent overall.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!
Originally Posted by DruggedPanda View Post
Mongius, seems most of the money is being wasted on things that arent needed like a power supply, solid state drive, $5 extra on two 8 gbs of ram rather than a single 16gb ram and that motherboard is honestly trash

bro an SSD is a lot faster than a """hybrid""" drive and has a lower failure rate too. I'd personally drop it down to 120gb or lower just to put games and OS on, 250gb is in the storage drive range for me.

Better PSU will reduce the chance of your PC getting fried at best, and at worst will just increase longevity, and increases chances of being reusable in the future. What is your current PSU? Don't tell me you are reusing a CM system builder :L

2x stick of RAM is about twice as fast as 1x stick.

Mobo features can be hard to pick but just going for an expensive one isn't usually a good idea. Your mobo is nearly as expensive as your CPU and GPU, that's crazy.

Mong's build is definitely more usable and you save $50.
If you have minions in your avy or sig DO NOT REPLY TO MY POSTS
Originally Posted by suomynona
Getting a slightly higher quality power supply than you need opens up upgrade paths and ensures that it's not going to explode on you. If you want us to look into whether or not your current 500W PSU is worth replacing, please post its exact model. You might be perfectly correct, and it might actually be a gem that needs no further mention.

500W PSU is enough for that build and if you want to upgrade in the future, you should probably change the PSU then and not now and yeah, depends what brand PSU you have.

Originally Posted by suomynona
When buying a motherboard for price, the first question you should be asking is what features you need. Then buy the most expensive motherboard that has those features and nothing extra, and you'll get a decent mix of quality and price efficiency. What features on the MSI Z170A can you not live without? What features does the Gigabyte GA-B150M-DSH3 require? Why is the Gigabyte board trash? More so, do you actually require a non-trash motherboard? Even the worst motherboards these days are actually pretty decent overall.

^ This. I honestly don't think there are any "trash" mobos in the market right now. If you want those features what come with that mobo you listed then yeah, you should go with it.
Last edited by Mongius; Aug 31, 2016 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Blatantly wrong information deleted
"raawr says the dinosaur right?"
~◆~
[OSHI,TA,OoT,RMO]
Originally Posted by hunter View Post
Nah, I think you should stick with the liquid cooler. If it's only $60 then why not. You get slighty better performance with any liquid cooler than dropping like $10 to $20 to get one of the "good" fan coolers. Stock coolers are garbage to be honest, not completely but still bad in my opinion.

http://www.frostytech.com/articlevie...id=2705&page=6

Originally Posted by hunter View Post
500W PSU is enough for that build and if you want to upgrade in the future, you should probably change the PSU then and not now and yeah, depends what brand PSU you have.

Well just knowing it's 500W doesn't tell us much, maybe it is 5 years old low quality or whatever, safer to replace if we dont have info
If you have minions in your avy or sig DO NOT REPLY TO MY POSTS
Ok so I planned on quoting things and typing a response with a PC but Im doing it on my phone.

The reason why I do not like that Mobo suggested by Mongius is because I plan on eventually having dual graphics and I would rather spend the money on a good Mobo now than buy one im just going to replace within a year.

Reasoning for the water cooling unit rather than a stock heatsink/fan is due to me planning on overclocking the i5 processor.

I plan on using this computer to play any game I feel like playing as well as maybe getting into video recording, etc.

I will probably use my old machine to mess around with virtual machines depending on if i buy a new hard drive not.

I wont know the brand of the power supply until I go home however, but I think it is an older model. It however does work perfectly fine and is very quiet. I should probably have explained the purpose of this PC a bit better, but based on this info and this budet these items are good right?

(apart from the hard drive as i may get an ssd if i decide to get one) and still deciding if its worth it to have a higher frequency ram or not
Last edited by DruggedPanda; Aug 31, 2016 at 05:03 PM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[Ex-MSquad]
Can we talk on IRC about it? I'd like to advice you in real-time.
| Leader of FC | Loans | ABD Enthusiast |