ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Let's Listen To: Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F♯A♯∞ (F Sharp, A Sharp, Infinity)
This is the first real release by Godspeed You! Black Emperor. It is 63 minutes long and at 320kbps, so the zip is huge, 130mb.

It's hard to describe this album, it has 3 tracks, but it's really all one piece. Pretty post-rock and pretty awesome. wiki c/p tiem:

The music of F♯A♯∞ is known for its wide volume changes, dark thematics, lack of vocals, and lengthy songs separated into movements. All of the tracks feature a number of field recordings and sampled sounds, once referred to by David Keenan of The Wire as "eschatological tape loops." Therefore, the overall theme of the album is often pinned as apocalyptic.
Indeed, English director Danny Boyle was heavily inspired by the album during the making of 28 Days Later. During an interview with guardian.co.uk, he explained, "I always try to have a soundtrack in my mind [when creating a film]. Like when we did Trainspotting, it was Underworld. For me, the soundtrack to 28 Days Later was Godspeed. The whole film was cut to Godspeed in my head."

The opening track, "The Dead Flag Blues", begins with an ominous introduction which originates from an unfinished screenplay by guitarist Efrim Menuck. Backed by a string melody, the speaker describes a derelict city, where the government is corrupt and the inhabitants are drugged. The introduction is followed by the sounds of a train and high-volume suspended noise. This eventually develops into a Western-themed melody, and is capped off by an upbeat section which includes glockenspiel, violin, and slide guitar.

The second track, "East Hastings", is named after a street in Vancouver's blighted Downtown Eastside. It begins with bagpipes reprising the theme of "The Dead Flag Blues" and backing the shouts of a street preacher. The sermon slowly quiets, and is replaced with the movement "Sad Mafioso", an edited version of which appeared in the film 28 Days Later. The movement also contains a brief portion where the band quietly sings in a rare occurrence of vocals. The track concludes with a series of electronic noises and buzzing until throbbing bass takes over.

The final track, "Providence", is considerably longer than the first two, coming in around thirty minutes in length. James Oldham of NME described it as "part The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and part spiritualized drone freakout." The introduction features a vox pop interviewee who references "A Country Boy Can Survive" by Hank Williams, Jr. The speaker is quickly replaced with a cello piece accompanied by glockenspiel, violin, and horn. Percussion is added to the melody which peaks, and is continued by a distorted singing woman. A quasi-military tune follows and is eventually taken over by the sung phrase "Where are you going? Where are you going?" The voice is sampled from the song "By My Side," from the 1970 musical Godspell. A collage of sounds and drones then round off the track. After a period of silence, a brief coda named for the American musician John Lee Hooker is performed.

enjoy and discuss and etc
i have a totally post modern tattoo of a scalene triangle.
<DeadorK> fair maiden
<DeadorK> if the cum is going to be in your mouth
<DeadorK> it shall be in mine as well
One of the best post rock albums ever. Really creates an atmoshpere that's hard to beat.

Lift your skinny fists like antennas to the sky is even better in my opinion though.

Post rock \o/
Leader of ORMO||Property of [T]||A replay thread
Hey man, I'd love to but I'm too busy listening to All Lights Fucked on the Hairy Amp Drooling
Originally Posted by m0o View Post
All Lights Fucked on the Hairy Amp Drooling

i have a totally post modern tattoo of a scalene triangle.
<DeadorK> fair maiden
<DeadorK> if the cum is going to be in your mouth
<DeadorK> it shall be in mine as well