Toribash
Original Post
Nine Inch Nails?
Hey guys, I have listened to the same music as my friends ever since we were in elementary school. From green day to lostprophets we always entered our own "fads" together. But now they listen to a band called "Nine Inch Nails"....and I HATE IT.

Can anyone explain what the value of this music is? It seems like random dark ominous sound effects with some weird muffly singer. I can tolerate the song Discipline and Closer but that's about it.

What am I missing?
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
Nothing. I forgot all about that band. They had a top(ish) song a decent while back. They were too weird for me. I never liked screamo, heavy/death metal, or bands like nine inch nails that are darkish emo or whatever you want to call it. You arent missing out at all.
Only song I listened from them was "Every Day Is Exactly the Same".

It's pretty decent tbh.
This sig lacks creativity.

True Story.
actually Nin are a industrial type of band, theyre music sounds like a bunch of machines working around. But theyre lyrics are abstract. it has meaning but hard to find the meaning of.
NIN is one guy.
Also, it's funny that you like closer, because that's one of my least favorite NIN songs.
i have a totally post modern tattoo of a scalene triangle.
<DeadorK> fair maiden
<DeadorK> if the cum is going to be in your mouth
<DeadorK> it shall be in mine as well
by "I like closer" I mean, I like closer more than..that other stuff.

I don't know, it just seems like songs like discipline and closer have... understandable lyrics, mildly catchy chorus, etc. Also: most of the time while the song is playing... people are speaking.

I think that is my biggest hang up with this group. I feel as if there are huge pauses of lyrics within the song. I am okay with that in a rock song where they throw in a sick guitar solo but instead its just like..a heart beat, or a machine gear cranking around, or something odd and abstract.

I am down for an anti-mainstream band, that's why I like old P!atD rather than their new mainstream stuff but this is a little much.
Need help?
Just Use Thunder!
Originally Posted by Hxcbbqimo View Post
I like ... P!atD

Doesn't have to be mainstream to suck. And not everything mainstream is terrible.
i have a totally post modern tattoo of a scalene triangle.
<DeadorK> fair maiden
<DeadorK> if the cum is going to be in your mouth
<DeadorK> it shall be in mine as well
No I know that. It's just I thought of panic as an abnormal band which I liked with their odd lyrics and catchy rhythms which is why I was distraught when I heard them make songs soo...normal.

But as for NIN: It's really the form. Also: I like Not So Pretty Now. But let's take a song like Eraser. It just sounds like weird...ominous sounds. With almost no lyrics.
Need help?
Just Use Thunder!
Check out the 2 disc album The Fragile. I think it represents the best of NIN, but if you don't like it, that's fine! You don't have to like what you're friends like.

I like the way he conveys real feeling with the music. I think his music is real art - yea he's an emotional dude, but I wouldn't call it emo music, which I associate with identifying a demographic and marketing a prepackaged, soulless product to them - the farthest you could get from an actual work of art.

The NIN music is often very textural, like you mentioned - the machine-like feel - and I think Reznor (the NIN guy) is more interested in conveying his interior, mental and emotional landscape than figuring out what will sell records and pandering to the audience, so yea, I love NIN but a lot of his stuff I do not like at all, but I respect it, because its real music.
Last edited by Logic; Jun 24, 2010 at 07:31 AM.

Just Like You Imagined.

My favorite song from NIN and quite unlike their other stuff.
infamous