Ranking
Original Post
Chess-Talk,Stratagies-and anything else related to the game.
Hello, I recently started playing chess again after about 4 years of not playing. I whooped ass for my first game btw

Anyways I had the idea to make a thread to call all the chess players out of the toribash wood works. The hope is that this thread will be used to talk about strategies, openers, and any other chess related matters. There are some rules variations floating around out there and I think those would be pretty interesting to learn about. Or even if you own a smexy chess set you could show it off here.

Also, if anyone out there has never played chess or doesn't know the rules this thread could be used to help them out.

Toribash (particularly wushu) has always reminded me of chess, both games require strategy, practice, and a whoop ass opener.

I will go ahead and start things off. Here is a defensive strategy I have been using for a while. Though it is by no means perfect, I find it to be pretty effective. The trick with this is to build up a defense, wait for your opponent to attack, and then exploit their weakness. Again, this one doesn't always work, but atm it is the only solid open I have.

The pawns with > or < next to them are optional. Also, this is obviously four turns into the match, so you may not get it exactly, the key movements are actually the next handful of moves that follow. Typically I move the bishops one space each and place the rooks behind the optional pawns if I make it that far. Usually though your opponent will get impatient and attack you.

Also, in regards to not only the above opener, but chess in general REMEMBER YOUR KNIGHTS!

P.S. if anyone knows a simpler way to demonstrate the board, please share the info. This picture works, but only basically. I found a few diagrams that show a few moves into it, i will try using one of those for my next post.
Organisation of Awesome: Member.
You sir, is a nerd. Chess is fun, but don't admit it!
Last edited by DeadorK; Sep 12, 2008 at 03:16 PM.
You sir, need to play chess more often

Also deady, to conserve space and help those who feel queasy looking at diagrams, you may want to use chess notation
It's been years since I've played chess - mostly because 99% of the people I know don't have enough brainpower to play anything that doesn't involve a console.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Taunts, are you serious about asking the question "Wtf is brainpower?"
Chess is fun at some times, not if you're playing with cheaters that don't know how to play
It makes me wonder..
I used to play it online, but I got sick of waiting for people to make a move while they spammed crap like "gotz n e pr0nz?" or "I are haXorin joo pc naow"

Seems even games like chess are infested now.

Really I should teach the missus how to play.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Yeah i read the white text. You didn't say nothing about joking.
It makes me wonder..
Well offcourse it was a joke. Didn't u see my face when i wrote that?