Toribash
Originally Posted by Skizzify View Post
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...3AGzbnTH1PRCYQ

What do you guys think of this? Should this have been declared a national monument?

Here's a little backstory:

Stonewall Inn was a gathering place for LGBT groups in 1969. The police came to the Inn and arrested people who were of the LGBT. Then, after hearing of this, people came together and protested for homos to be accepted in the community.

Sure, I don't see a reason why not. LGBT rights have historically been quite an uphill battle.
The fight for solidarity and equality is totally something worth celebrating.
I was under the impression that the President cannot simply declare an area to be a national park or monument since congress got upset at Teddy Roosevelt for doing it too much. There might be some more red tape to cut through before this is made official.
Last edited by hawkesnightmare; Jun 25, 2016 at 05:39 PM.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
actually she's surging ahead lately lmfao

This is well deserved though; Like cowmeat said I don't see any reason why not.
Because it's the Internet, and you'll always stir up a shit storm of dislikes and negative comments if you do anything remotely controversial. It's a political move that signifies LGBT civil rights is an important moment in the nation's history, so you'll naturally find homophobes, the religious Right, and just plain trolls climbing out of the woodwork to shame it.

The President is legally allowed to declare national monuments anyways. Quick google search says Antiquities Act of 1906 gives the President jurisdiction over declaring national monuments. And Obama declared a site a national monument a couple months ago that commemorates the women's suffrage movement, and nobody really complained over that.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Lots of people dislike the LGBTQIA+++ movement, and lots of LGBTQIA+++ feel like this is pandering. Combined, that's a lot of people who dislike this move.
Originally Posted by wibblefox View Post
Lots of people dislike the LGBTQIA+++ movement, and lots of LGBTQIA+++ feel like this is pandering. Combined, that's a lot of people who dislike this move.

Yes? I certainly dislike some aspects of the modern feminist/LGBT movement, but do I feel we shouldn't fight for gay and trans rights in our current society? Fuck no. I hate to use the word oppression because it has become a buzzword used by entitled 20 something year old feminists with no real world experience. But to say that gay people aren't an oppressed minority in our society is a bit thick imho.

The fight for proper gay rights dates back only to the 50s and 60s and being gay hasn't become widely accepted (and still isn't in some circles) until a decade ago. We can clearly see inequality and discrimination agains't gays in the west and all around the world in general. So to say that LGBT rights aren't something worth fighting for just because there are entitled idiots who blame stupid things like patriarchy and internalized oppression, is to me pretty disgraceful.

I honestly doubt many young people disagree with LGBT rights tho. I think when people hate on the LGBT rights movement, they are raging at the outright idiotic individuals who seem to have taken control over a good movement, not at the fact that gay people should have equal rights.
Last edited by cowmeat; Jun 26, 2016 at 01:48 PM.
I think you will know what I will say to that since you said it yourself: "the word oppression because it has become a buzzword used by entitled 20 something year old feminists with no real world experience"...

LGBTQIA+ experience oppression? Simply not true. How can you even tell if someone is LGBTQIA? Well you can have sex with them or at least try, then you can deduce at least something about their gender or sexuality? Apart from that, there is simply no way to know. How can you oppress a people that cannot be identified? In short, you can't. What we have here is the same situation as vegans, they shove their opinion down other people's throats then get mad when people don't agree.

The idea of "LGBT rights" is nonsense in the first place. What rights did an LGBT person ever not have that a cishet did? Ah yes of course in order to vote for the president you had to have sex with someone of the opposite gender and decline to have sex with someone of the same gender. And of course who can forget the American law that prevented people whose chromosomes don't match their genitalia from owning land. Who can forget the infamous institutionalised ideal that aroace are not allowed into government buildings?! Oh wait none of that ever happened... So what exactly are these "LGBT rights"? Hm, no one knows, the entire "problem" is manufactured to give LGBTQIA a sense of moral superiority, I know you have seen it before - "die cis scum" "why would you be cishet? It is boring" "if you are het kill yourself", etc. It's just a normal counterculture which parasitically latched on to the suffragette's good name (who arguably did do some good work).

The unfortunate story that has been shoved to the sidelines is that mental illness is the real bad guy here. We should be working together as a society to help people, not validate their illnesses. It is very sad that so many people are losing out on the treatment they deserve in the name of 'progress'...