Toribash
Originally Posted by suomynona View Post
No, there generally are not going to be colliding stars or planets. Galaxies are primarily empty space. Any location where the galactic cores intercept is a different story, and the super massive black holes of the Milky Way and Andromeda will likely devour more than a small number of stars, but aside from those specific scenarios, the chance of a star-star collision in a galactic merger is still absurdly low.

Take a handful of marbles, and have a friend take a handful of marbles, stand half a kilometer apart, and shoot them into the air towards about a 1 meter radius sphere that would be the collision space. There's a quite significant chance, with marbles, of no collisions whatsoever. Make the marbles a handful of sand and repeat it again. Compared to the galaxies that are colliding, our own is almost 500,000 light years across. The sun is not even two light seconds wide. A direct collision between two stars in that much space is incredibly unlikely.

There will be several star-star collisions, certainly, but that's attributable to the number of stars involved in a poorly coordinated interaction. In a stable galaxy, like the Milky Way is now, star-star collisions only happen with any realistic frequency between binary pairs. Even with the destabilization inherent in a galactic merger, you NEED to keep in mind how utterly LARGE a galaxy is. To scale, our entire solar system is a tiny, almost unnoticeable dot in the empty space that is our galaxy's sphere of influence.

If the marbles also had their own gravitational that varied between sizes and density And sure the odds are low when it just begun, but the waltz of death that comes after when the two stars gravitational pull met. I'm just saying Galactic Cannibalism isn't a breeze between two galaxies meet. And your right about the massive black holes consuming the se excess. I guess two super clusters would be a little different. Anyways I'm just talking now. I'd like end it with saying this though. Sure the numbers are low compared to the vast distances of the universe, but the sheer amount of stars compared to humans. I'm sure the star casualties would be rather high.
Last edited by T0ribush; Sep 5, 2013 at 07:44 AM.
Originally Posted by T0ribush View Post
If the marbles also had their own gravitational that varied between sizes and density And sure the odds are low when it just begun, but the waltz of death that comes after when the two stars gravitational pull met.

But they do...

I'm just saying Galactic Cannibalism isn't a breeze between two galaxies meet. And your right about the massive black holes consuming the se excess. I guess two super clusters would be a little different. Anyways I'm just talking now. I'd like end it with saying this though. Sure the numbers are low compared to the vast distances of the universe, but the sheer amount of stars compared to humans. I'm sure the star casualties would be rather high.

Stars in our galaxy are still light years apart. A lightyear is approximately 10^15 kilometres. Since its launch in 1977, the voyager has traveled about 0.002 lightyears. It travels at a speed of 65 000 km/h. The distances are just too great.
f=m*a syens
During the 90s we thought stars colliding was once in an eternity. 10-15 years later we have concluded that there're 100s of stars colliding out of sight within the vastness of the universe. Everything that we thought were uncommon are pretty god damn common. Like Earth like planet within the goldilocks zone was once thought near impossible, but a few years later were finding them all over the place as well as black holes.

Were so knowledgable with our small scaled studies and tests and conclusions based on small studies. We can only predict and stand by our odds that we found, but time and time again have I seen the odds go against people, normally it's just human error though.
Ok, let's get this thread back on topic. The star collision discussion was OK, but not on topic. From here, I only want to see a discussion about "future earths". The star discussion can be held in a different thread.
f=m*a syens
Hopefully this will happen before the sun blows up everything. Either that, or we will nuke ourselves. I predict we will nuke ourselves in the next 200 years.
"People should not be afraid of their governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people."
The sun won't blow up everything. It will destroy our solar system completely. but the brown dwarfs and what not after Pluto? Doubt it.

And in 200 years we would have colonized the Moon and possibly Mars. Reducing risk of Extinction by a significant amount. Unless we destroyed the Earth, the Moon and Mars in some chain reaction of stupid events, other than that.
We'd have to have some Celestial body to kill us all in a day... Now or within the next 30 years. Anymore than that, I think we'd have a decent space station with greenery and what not on it with a handful of humans (were almost at the verge of Space Vacations one step after that is living in space)
1 way trip to mars
We're already making preparations to get people living on mars by '23.
[TPO][OSG][ARA][Zero]
"and I have tons of friends" Deakster/Dickmaniac/Deak
hahaha, I hope the live, that's fucking cool, I like we've gotten to the point where humans can just go fuck off to another planet with the right amount of cash.
Originally Posted by NinjaVodou View Post
1 way trip to mars
We're already making preparations to get people living on mars by '23.

I don't think they're preparing to send people to mars to solve the overpopulation problem. I think it's purely for scientific reasons.
hahaha, I hope the live, that's fucking cool, I like we've gotten to the point where humans can just go fuck off to another planet with the right amount of cash.

There are plenty of problems with interstellar space travel. Especially if you're looking escape the (exhausted) earth and you want to populate another earthlike planet.
For example:
- The technology required to reach planets lightyears away
- Imagine if you were a generation of people who are born on the ship and die before they ever reach the destination. There will be dozens such generations before you reach the planet. How would you feel? Is this ethical?
- Inbreeding on the ship
- Mutiny, general problems with the inhabitants of the "colony ship". The chances of it failing is just so great. After a while none of the original inhabitants will be left anymore. The 'new' generations are there without a cause, without a motive. It takes knowledge, effort, ... to control a large spacecraft like that. I don't think that after a few generations, the people on board will be motivated to do as such.
f=m*a syens
Originally Posted by Arglax View Post
I don't think they're preparing to send people to mars to solve the overpopulation problem. I think it's purely for scientific reasons.

There are plenty of problems with interstellar space travel. Especially if you're looking escape the (exhausted) earth and you want to populate another earthlike planet.
For example:
- The technology required to reach planets lightyears away
- Imagine if you were a generation of people who are born on the ship and die before they ever reach the destination. There will be dozens such generations before you reach the planet. How would you feel? Is this ethical?
- Inbreeding on the ship
- Mutiny, general problems with the inhabitants of the "colony ship". The chances of it failing is just so great. After a while none of the original inhabitants will be left anymore. The 'new' generations are there without a cause, without a motive. It takes knowledge, effort, ... to control a large spacecraft like that. I don't think that after a few generations, the people on board will be motivated to do as such.

A ship that size shouldn't be built on Earth it has to be built in space. Or it wouldn't leave Earth because it wouldn't be able to break from Earth's gravitational pull with the output of energy were at. We'd need to be able to contain the sheer raw power that is Anti Matter to do such things.

And it only takes like 8 months to get to Mars and can be reduced on how much fuel you want to use.

It wouldn't take Generations, even if the ship were massive it would still reach the Red planet within that generation.

And imagine you were that stupid generation that didn't pass down your ideals and such to the next generation aboard the generation ship which the ship going to Mars won't be a generation ship

It's a way One trip to Mars that would leave during Opposition which would make mars no more than 101 million km or it could even be closer that year . And it only costs like 40 million to get yourself into space. So all of the 100,000 people must be sponsored by millionaires or themselves be rich and I think that's more than enough money to get there and not come back.

And are you jumping to Outside solar system space travel already? Talking about generation ships and what not. Were not. Were talking about Mars and the Moon. The closest and easiest to inhabit compared to everything else in the system. That doesn't need an extreme output of power. The bigger you are, the faster you have to go to break the orbit of the sun. Or else you'll be flying in circles in your generation ship with our current thruster technology.

You don't deserve to be in space, if you're going to fall out of line and try and take over the ship. You'd just be hindering our excellence. They'd carefully select people in a generation ship. Not just anyone.

Generation Ships is a careful science that isn't being used here. They are going to mars and not coming back. A generation ship would be used to save our race launching them into space with no return. And would have shuttles aboard because the ship wouldn't be able to land and leave again because the weight of the ship on the planet. Ships like that Stay in Space, unless we've gotten a hold of anti gravity.
Last edited by T0ribush; Sep 7, 2013 at 07:09 PM.