Ranking
I'm not saying at all that hemp is a new substance. I'm just saying that the two drugs have different histories and that's why one is legal and the other is not.

Okay I hear you. Their respective history explain why one is legal and the other isn't, but that doesn't justify it nor is a viable reason not to change it.

Saying "Alcohol is legal? Well... let's legalize marijuana too then." is a wrong assumption.

It's not totally "wrong" but not judicious and a bit oversimplifying.

See it this way : if alcohol didn't exist and the number of marijuana users was the same, the question would still needs to be asked. Does it really have to stay forbidden and criminalized if a large portion of the population feels like it's okay to use it ? considering the cost of prosecution, the cost of the "war on drugs", the fact that the actual way to deal with users doesn't help them at all nor stop them from using, the illegal traffic etc...

Truth is, from todays health standards, Alcohol should rather be forbidden than Marijuana legalized.

I'm not sure what you mean by health standards. But people have the right to consume their brain, body and health as they wish, we're not in a "perfect health dictatorship" from what I know. Plus assuming that every users eventually use to the point of getting sick is pretty inacurate.
Abusing something is certainly bad. But because some people abuse something, it doesn't mean the reasonnable ones should be forbidden to use that same "something".
See it this way : if alcohol didn't exist and the number of marijuana users was the same, the question would still needs to be asked. Does it really have to stay forbidden and criminalized if a large portion of the population feels like it's okay to use it ? considering the cost of prosecution, the cost of the "war on drugs", the fact that the actual way to deal with users doesn't help them at all nor stop them from using, the illegal traffic etc...

I repeat: I'm pretty much neutral about this topic. And I'm too less informed and involved to argue on a serious level. All I was trying to say is that you can't compare the legal situation of Alcohol to the legal situation of Marijuana and therefore THAT arguement is invalid.
I'm not sure what you mean by health standards.

Alcohol would not get the market authorisation nowadays.

Over and out.
“War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin, keep out of the way till you can.” - Winston Churchill
I'm going to add my opinion. I don't care either way because I don't smoke, its been about 4/5 years since I have but...

As long as the government handle the laws appropriately(which they would) and they had a way to control it properly. I see no reason if average Joe wants to go home and smoke a bowl why he shouldn't be able to. In the US people really seem to be opening up to the idea that it should be legalized.
Just to make clear, I am neutral on this topic, I have yet to find a reasonable claim that outweighs all the opposing arguments, either pro or against drug legalisation world wide.

/rant (Those of you who limits this topic to the US are just * that needs to widen your grasp of the modern world, "Cannabis abuse", or "drug abuse", is a problem in Europe, Asia and the rest of the world as well. And if we look down south of you * we find a great continent facing problems of a scale you barely even grasp.) /end rant

OT: For all of you discussion board users; THIS IS HOW YOU QUOTE SOMEONE, and do not, I repeat, NOT ENCOURAGE BEHAVIOUR SIMILAR TO ORACLEs!

Originally Posted by bigGrin View Post
I'm not saying at all that hemp is a new substance. I'm just saying that the two drugs have different histories and that's why one is legal and the other is not.

Truth is most drugs were legal once, look at heroin and how it were used as a legal drug against cold, pain and coughing in general. Lets just say it became a successful business idea and 1925 the substance got banned in the US, a few years after Europe had banned it.

Saying "Alcohol is legal? Well... let's legalize marijuana too then." is a wrong assumption.

Wi-ki is worth a few reads as they are greatly relevant to the paragraphs below, and the topic in genral.

Not really, look at the history absinthe. It got banned due to a large pressure from the wine houses in France, and soon the world followed France in its steps against absinthe. Now the circumstances were mainly the aftershock and high prices of wine due to the great french wine blight back in the mid of the 19th century.

Now from a modern standpoint one of the most reasonable pro absinthe arguments is that above; If alcohol is legal, then absinthe should be legal as well; and it is a decent argument since most of the opposition still claims that it
1) is a psychoactive agent (which is to a large extent false, it would be easier to get high from tea made of Artemisia absinthium which can be brought at a supermarket...),
2) makes you suicidal (a myth risen from the sphere that abused other drugs beside of absinthe (which were used like alcoholic beverages today), the great artists of the mid 19th century...)

Now similar stories goes for almost every other drug out there, the most addictive have a history not much different from that of heroin, and the "soft" ones have a history much like absinthe.

Pre 19th century cannabis were a legal substance, and then came the bans 1910 and during the following 30 or so years it became banned in most of the western-influenced societies. As to that date it had been legal and used since a few thousand years BC...

Why? Ask John Gregory Bourke, and please ask him what evidence he had for his research back in india when he wrote on "indian hemp". As far as I'm informed it is less addictive than alcohol, as supported by for example NIDA (I could not find a relevant link as I'm writing this on a stupid-phone, but please use google if you have any doubts).

Truth is, from todays health standards, Alcohol should rather be forbidden than Marijuana legalized.

That is a great idea, or wait, why did the mafia industry go on an explosive growth last time that happened?

Oh yeah, you can make large money out of criminal activity, and the larger the demand, the more money gets laid into a criminal sphere of society, which is yet another pro drug argument that I do not wish to raise...
Now doing recoloring for people not in the clan as-well, PM for more info!
PROUD OWNER OF THORN'S GOOD ENOUGH WRITER AWARD!
"Drugs are BAD mhh kay...."
whats that? Drugs aren't bad... it's like to say guns kill people but they don't people kill people and people are doing on drugs so its not the drug. Also i wanted to say there are some pretty clear facts that dope cleans up your lungs, and i asked myself is this bad? May there are drugs which are, what you would call, bad like meth and heroin, but there are other drugs that are in use like 10000 of years and if these drugs were so bad like some tv puppets want to tell you we would already be dead as civilazation
Originally Posted by Smogard49 View Post
OT: For all of you discussion board users; THIS IS HOW YOU QUOTE SOMEONE, and do not, I repeat, NOT ENCOURAGE BEHAVIOUR SIMILAR TO ORACLEs!

Considering the size of the post I was quoting and replying to, it was either do what I did, or take up the normal size of the page for one post, and risk having to reformat it anyways from post character limits. Hence, wall of text.

Now that it's out of the way.

Just to make clear, I am neutral on this topic, I have yet to find a reasonable claim that outweighs all the opposing arguments, either pro or against drug legalisation world wide.

/rant (Those of you who limits this topic to the US are just * that needs to widen your grasp of the modern world, "Cannabis abuse", or "drug abuse", is a problem in Europe, Asia and the rest of the world as well. And if we look down south of you * we find a great continent facing problems of a scale you barely even grasp.) /end rant

You can only argue what you know. I'm not familiar with the problems of drug use in Europe, but the issues affecting Europe, Asia, Australia, or whatever inhabited continent you name will likely have overlap, and the issues of drug wars between cartels is almost irrelevant as a health issue, which has been the primary focus of most of my arguments (and of most other people's arguments), with the other focus being cultural relevance. You really can't ask somebody to become an expert on the entire field before posting, but to at least post with some appearance that you know about what you posted. If somebody wants to bring up the drug wars as a reason to legalize, that's their imperative, but just because nobody brings it up doesn't mean it's an ignored or unknown issue.

Truth is most drugs were legal once, look at heroin and how it were used as a legal drug against cold, pain and coughing in general. Lets just say it became a successful business idea and 1925 the substance got banned in the US, a few years after Europe had banned it.

Wi-ki is worth a few reads as they are greatly relevant to the paragraphs below, and the topic in genral.

That's not an argument. Slavery was legal once, and we can safely say that we should never implement it again, regardless of any benefits it may bring. Past legality is not a reason for re-legalization.

It's also worth noting that heroin had significantly more side effects than what it was intended to cure. Same thing with cocaine, which was initially used for medicinal purposes, mainly headache cures. Doesn't mean that they were safe, or should have been legalized.

Not really, look at the history absinthe. It got banned due to a large pressure from the wine houses in France, and soon the world followed France in its steps against absinthe. Now the circumstances were mainly the aftershock and high prices of wine due to the great french wine blight back in the mid of the 19th century.

Now from a modern standpoint one of the most reasonable pro absinthe arguments is that above; If alcohol is legal, then absinthe should be legal as well; and it is a decent argument since most of the opposition still claims that it
1) is a psychoactive agent (which is to a large extent false, it would be easier to get high from tea made of Artemisia absinthium which can be brought at a supermarket...),
2) makes you suicidal (a myth risen from the sphere that abused other drugs beside of absinthe (which were used like alcoholic beverages today), the great artists of the mid 19th century...)

Now similar stories goes for almost every other drug out there, the most addictive have a history not much different from that of heroin, and the "soft" ones have a history much like absinthe.

Pre 19th century cannabis were a legal substance, and then came the bans 1910 and during the following 30 or so years it became banned in most of the western-influenced societies. As to that date it had been legal and used since a few thousand years BC...

Why? Ask John Gregory Bourke, and please ask him what evidence he had for his research back in india when he wrote on "indian hemp". As far as I'm informed it is less addictive than alcohol, as supported by for example NIDA (I could not find a relevant link as I'm writing this on a stupid-phone, but please use google if you have any doubts).

Historically, a lot of things have been banned because of lobbying from an industry. While not a good practice, it's still not a reason to re-legalize anything. Present a reason why it should be re-legalized other than it was made illegal for reasons other than the current health reasons that keep it illegal. And again, it's a two-way road to say that a drug that is legalized is stronger than one that is illegal, therefore the weaker one should be legalized. You can just as easily make the same inference that you are justified in making the stronger one illegal because a weaker one is. Present reasons why it should be made legal because a stronger one is legal. Otherwise it's just lamenting on history without justifying anything for the present.

That is a great idea, or wait, why did the mafia industry go on an explosive growth last time that happened?

Oh yeah, you can make large money out of criminal activity, and the larger the demand, the more money gets laid into a criminal sphere of society, which is yet another pro drug argument that I do not wish to raise...

A large demand does not mean it's something that should be legalized. Again, the majority wanting something does not instantly make it justifiable or even right. It's true we spend a lot of money combating illegal production of various drugs, but it begs the question of whether the money saved from legalizing a drug, and thus no longer policing it's production, will outweigh any potential detriment on the economy it creates because of it's influence. And this is also ignoring the conversion of policing an illegal product, to monitoring the quality of products for a legal product. It costs less money to do it, but it still is a drain. Money is lost every day to alcohol and tobacco use because of the time and work lost to intoxication and health issues, and is often a regressive tax on society. Would adding another addictive product to the mix really benefit society as a whole, even considering the money saved from reduced policing of illegal products? I highly doubt it.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
Text

You know that treating people different due to genetic differences in prohibited right?

Now if we take this "too" far we can easily reach the conclusion that all substances should be treated the same way.

Unnecessary part

Actually, that's a solid claim, isn't it?

For this very reason all drugs should be treated the same way.

// Back to topic ; Calling an argument invalid by not exploring the underlying principle on which it is founded is quite rude and surely makes your rebuttal quite off-point.

Now why should we treat drugs, or organic beings, any different other organic substances? As far as I'm concerned the politicians and laws are lobbying for people who cannot act responsible and thus be a danger to society (see why people are in general not allowed to own an army or bombs in the western world) but the problem in these cases are not the weaponry, nor the damage they can cause; it's the people causing these things that are the problem here.

"Better safe than sorry" seems to be the way laws works in western society, and by infringing of peoples rights our "protective government" keeps us from harms way, right?

Well, if you wish to continue the discussion from this point onwards, please pm me and I'll make sure we have a new thread for a way wider discussion on the restrictions society impose upon us while "keeping us safe" and why this can be seen as "wrong".
Now doing recoloring for people not in the clan as-well, PM for more info!
PROUD OWNER OF THORN'S GOOD ENOUGH WRITER AWARD!
You know that treating people different due to genetic differences in prohibited right?

It'd be more helpful if you engaged in better quote practices yourself, namely by leaving the parts of the text you're replying to so I know what exactly you're rebutting. I can make a guess, and it's that you're taking an analogy out of context. It doesn't matter what I reference that was legal at some point and isn't now, the point is that it doesn't matter that it was legal at any point, as that's not a reason for making it legal now. Price gouging was legal at one point, marriage-by-rape was legal in some places, and public nudity was legal at some point too. Beastiality had no formal laws against it at one point. Everything had no formal laws against it at some point. That doesn't mean that everything should be legalized. In the simplest way possible, past legality is no reason to make something legal.

Now if we take this "too" far we can easily reach the conclusion that all substances should be treated the same way.

Unnecessary part

Except that's not what I'm arguing. I never made a slippery slope argument anywhere in my last posts. My point, simply put, was like so:

If X is more dangerous than Y, and X is legal, then Y should be legal.

If X is alcohol, and Y is marijuana, then this is a fair claim. However, it's also fair to state:

If X is more dangerous than Y, and Y is illegal, then X should be illegal.

Using the exact same premises. So why should the first claim be the one we enact, rather than the second one? Nobody has given a reason for that other than, paraphrased heavily, "because people want it legal". That's not a reason. That's an argument from popularity, and that's a fallacious argument.

// Back to topic ; Calling an argument invalid by not exploring the underlying principle on which it is founded is quite rude and surely makes your rebuttal quite off-point.

An invalid argument is invalid regardless of the principles involved. If it doesn't follow logical reasoning, it's invalid regardless of what principles you follow. Of course, I could make a better argument against this if I knew what exactly you're referencing here, but I'm fairly certain that you're referencing my rebuttal to "because big industry got it banned for economic reasons rather than health reasons, we should re-legalize it" (again, highly paraphrased). If it's the case, again, it doesn't matter WHY something was made illegal if current evidence still supports the basis for illegality.

And as I seem to need to mention to everybody over and over again, an argument based on popularity is NOT an argument. It's groupthink, jumping on the bandwagon, whatever the hell you want to call it, and it's not a reason to support ANYTHING.

Now why should we treat drugs, or organic beings, any different other organic substances? As far as I'm concerned the politicians and laws are lobbying for people who cannot act responsible and thus be a danger to society (see why people are in general not allowed to own an army or bombs in the western world) but the problem in these cases are not the weaponry, nor the damage they can cause; it's the people causing these things that are the problem here.

Just because it's natural is also not a reason to support anything. Non-pasteurized milk is natural, and it's fucking retarded to think it's better than pasteurized milk. Vaccines are better than getting the disease naturally and developing an immunity from that. It's the mentality that natural is better that has caused the resurgence of diseases long since eradicated in the first world to spring up again, because people are stupid and assume natural somehow means good or better. Something being natural is not a reason to support something. It's the benefits that come from something being natural that should be supported, not it's being natural.

And btw, most drugs effect your body by poisoning it in small amounts. It's not like THC is designed to make creatures high, it's designed to kill insects that try to eat the hemp plant. Caffeine is another common natural insecticide. The natural, and original, purpose of the chemicals in these "organic" drugs are for plant survival, not human recreation.

And while I'm at it, how do you think you stop people from abusing armies and bombs and weapons? You make laws prohibiting their use, because it regulates the ACTIONS of the people who might use them. It's not like laws are made because it stops bombs from blowing up, or guns from firing. Laws are made to stop PEOPLE from blowing up bombs, or PEOPLE from firing guns, and therefore laws would be made to stop PEOPLE from doing stupid shit. And the easiest way to make people to stop doing stupid shit with inanimate objects is to ban the use and production of said inanimate objects.

"Better safe than sorry" seems to be the way laws works in western society, and by infringing of peoples rights our "protective government" keeps us from harms way, right?

Yes, that is how laws should be implemented. I don't want laws prohibiting the irradiation and sterilization of citizens because of their genetic structure AFTER a portion of the population is sterilized, I want it BEFORE any of that stupid shit happens.

And peoples' rights are different from individual rights. Peoples' rights are the general, encompassing rights that are guaranteed to all people. Individual rights are the rights an individual are allowed to enjoy, assuming they do not infringe of the rights of the people, or other individuals. The use of narcotics is not an individual's right because it inflicts damage on the rights of others from their usage. Narcotics use is linked to increased accidents, drains on the economy from creating a destitute population that is dependent on the state for healthcare and provision, and is not a basic necessity for an individual to function. It taxes the lowest end of society, as they are effected much more substantially by the economic burden of purchasing narcotics compared to other demographics, and are often the most commonly affiliated with them. And they serve absolutely no purpose for the consumers except as a recreation. Recreation does NOT trump basic rights of individuals or a society.

Well, if you wish to continue the discussion from this point onwards, please pm me and I'll make sure we have a new thread for a way wider discussion on the restrictions society impose upon us while "keeping us safe" and why this can be seen as "wrong".

Considering that you made a claim earlier on in your post that you were going "back on topic" this seems like a fairly contradictory thing to put at the end of your post. Where exactly did you feel you went off-topic?
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
I, in my opinion, would actually like to legalized marijuana because of many reasons. Have you ever heard anyone that has died from weed? Not like doing like dumb things. Legalizing would actually help boost the economy. It has positive effects and barely and minimal negative effects. Which not like cigarettes which has kills over a billion people. The cost of marijuana may be higher than cigarettes but it can help our debt faster. Marijuana barely has any negative effects. Sorry if I jumbled up.
Team Sad
Originally Posted by PerfectBro View Post
The cost of marijuana may be higher than cigarettes

it's cheaper