Ranking
Original Post
ShoutBox In forum
What do you think of the idea of adding a Chat for everyone to talk to, not the threads? But an equal Shoutbox of many forums would be very cool and interactive. Of course, to moderate there would be a staff present
Ok so here's why it's not going to happen:

1. It's a waste of dev time because we already have Discord (or IRC if you prefer ancient forsaken technology).
  2. It would require heavy moderation (you don't expect that we're going to put a non-moderated public chatbox visible from forum home, right?) which is also a waste of staff members' time.
  3. It would suck compared to any other already existing chat service (because yes unless it's a web irc client within an iframe then it would suck both functionality and design-wise).

How Discord is more convenient: it's most likely already used by any active gamer so you don't need to keep a separate tab of some weird web chat open in order to communicate with your Toribash friends. It's also modern, well-designed and user-friendly.

Also who said that we're that desperate at getting people to use forum? It's 2018, forums are dying - that's a natural thing. All the recent Toribash updates clearly indicate that we're moving towards making forum a complimentary thing rather than a place you need to go to do anything related to your TB account.
Originally Posted by sir View Post
All the recent Toribash updates clearly indicate that we're moving towards making forum a complimentary thing rather than a place you need to go to do anything related to your TB account.

..."Rather than a place you need to go to do anything related to your TB account"...

Last time I checked, sending TC was still through the forum, clans operate through forum usage, and in order for your clan to get official you have to be forum active.
Rather than waiting for a response on a post that could take up to days sometimes, a shout box with a chat filter/spam prevention would operate quite well. You'd be able to see who all from your clan is online and be able to message the clan through a clan shout box and the general public would be a different shout box.

Even a bot moderator would be able to do the job. You don't need HR to moderate everything these days. Games such as Overwatch, Destiny 2, and Starcraft II (very successful games) all have public general chats/shout boxes. And guess what? They're all moderated bots.
Origin For Life
as you said, they are transforming toribash itself into the forum. But a question
if toribash is going to become almost the forum, and the forum will be a complement '' How can I not give in-game money to my friends?
-----
should have independent in-game changes if it's Tb or Tb, if the intention is to make toribash more playable you should stop banning people atoa (not that it's all staffs), add new things
-----
As primal said, all these Famous games contain a forum with a chat box, all moderated by bots
-----
It would be nice if the toribash forum had a new design, the homepage is already very nostalgic. People want new things, news.
Changing the appearance of the forum would be a good idea, as well as attracting more people
Last edited by Zeuuuuus; Jun 7, 2018 at 07:59 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
The idea of implementing a forum shoutbox may be actually not very useful, therefore I have another idea.

Some of you may know what osu! is. Ingame, there is a global chat for everyone (it’s actually a simple irc channel but hey, it works), and you can add other irc channels such as #french. I think adding an ingame irc with those types of channels can be a thing.
Moreover, we can see on osu.ppy.sh the Game chat in live.

——————

But since we have Discord now, I don’t think it’d be something valuable.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
Was zurük bleibt ist erinnerung
Originally Posted by sir
Also who said that we're that desperate at getting people to use forum? It's 2018, forums are dying - that's a natural thing. All the recent Toribash updates clearly indicate that we're moving towards making forum a complimentary thing rather than a place you need to go to do anything related to your TB account.

So you're fine with forum-death and the associated loss of community that comes with that....

Good job.

To respond to your points.
1) Minimal devwork is required to install a shoutbox. A negligible amount of devwork.
2) It really wouldn't be hard to find some people willing to moderate it. As others have said, bots are also able to moderate shoutboxes to a degree.
3) I uses shoutboxes on illegal streaming sites all the time and they work just fine. Very convenient.
Last edited by Ele; Jun 8, 2018 at 05:28 AM.
Originally Posted by Primal View Post
You'd be able to see who all from your clan is online and be able to message the clan through a clan shout box and the general public would be a different shout box.

For that, I'd suggest it's better if we have an integrated clan chat in-game. Almost all games these days have that
Na sahi kuch magar itna to kiya karte the
Wo mujhe dekh ke pehchan liya karte the
Originally Posted by Ele View Post

To respond to your points.
1) Minimal devwork is required to install a shoutbox. A negligible amount of devwork.

There's really no harm at all in making one, adding a line of script saying one single user cannot send more than x amount of messages in x amount of time, and if they exceed this limit multiple times they are banned from the shout box, putting a profanity filter (if you so choose) excluding x words from the chat, and allowing open free forum chat without the need of creating a new thread for a simple question.
Origin For Life
Originally Posted by Primal View Post
Overwatch, Destiny 2, and Starcraft II (very successful games) all have public general chats/shout boxes. And guess what? They're all moderated bots.

are they? overwatch's chat isn't moderated at all, the only filter you have is for "gg ez". people rarely ever use the global chat, other than to troll, send le epic memes and say offensive, racist shit. only thing you can do is report those people and i believe humans have to deal with those reports, just like in toribash.

using 70s technology is really cool guys. discord is an awful, barely used service, plus the 53 boards we have for all types of discussion and the private message system are not enough!
-----
actually thinking a shoutbox will make people return to the forums or just be more active is abysmal. it'd be the same thing as what #toribash used to be, except worse and less functional
-----
if anything, toribash next could have a global chat. no need to get the forums involved
Last edited by Arctic; Jun 9, 2018 at 03:53 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
That was really bad sorry.
Someone tell me why this guy is highly respected by some people ???