Toribash
Original Post
[Study] Sacrifice Throw Development
It's about time I started this. Feel free to pitch in with any good replays.

I'd like to classify sacrifice throws into 3 categories:

Front sacrifice throws: Start with uke facing you, then drop your COG below uke without turning your hips away. Lift and throw straight back or to either side.
EX: Yoko Otoshi

TIPS
*Look for times when uke is pushing into you, which makes it easier to drop under their weight and throw them over.

Back sacrifice throws: From behind uke, drop your COG with your hips facing uke. Execute a throw to your side or straight back.
EX: Tani Otoshi

TIPS
*The best time to throw is when uke has his back turned and his balance is weak.*

Twist-in sacrifice throws Start facing uke, but as you drop your COG twist your hips away from him in a downward spiral. Throw over your head.
EX: Peak Throw

TIPS
*I usually do it when uke has one foot on the floor and the other in the air, this makes it easier to rotate them around my body as they can't resist my pull with both of their feet.*

General Concepts

Many sacrifice throws that I do are leg assisted, as you can see in the Yoko Otoshi and Tani Otoshi replays. An added leg sweep or trip can go a long way to insure your opponent can't recover from your throw, but may leave your balance weak and liable to fall over.

A common theme of sacrifice throws in Toribash is to get your COG as low as possible, in a squatting stance or so sort of cobra stance. You can not throw a sacrifice if your opponent has a lower COG than you, so you need to drop in below theirs or raise it above yours before a throw of this type can be successful.

I'll add more to this as the study progresses.
Attached Files
Yoko Otoshi 3.rpl (38.6 KB, 26 views)
Yoko Otoshi 7.rpl (40.8 KB, 7 views)
Tani Otoshi 7.rpl (43.9 KB, 9 views)
Tani Otoshi 5.rpl (35.9 KB, 6 views)
Peak Throw 1.rpl (32.6 KB, 8 views)
Peak Throw 4.rpl (38.4 KB, 8 views)
Last edited by Iskenos; Aug 7, 2017 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Added stuff
what makes a throw a sacrifice throw? degree of risk?
re tani otoshi. when you say behind. does it have to behind behind like a belly to back suplex or just some sort of control behind.
-----
do they tend to be hit as a counter when the situation arrises? if so how do you decide to hit them? or is it worked towards stage by stage? or something else?
Last edited by monkeyishi; Aug 1, 2017 at 06:56 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
I think what makes a sacrifice throw in Toribash is slightly different than in real life, because in TB you can't literally fall to the ground and bring the other guy with you. I have always classified sacrifice throws as giving up your balance to execute the throw.

In regards to tani otoshi, and other throws in other directions, it really goes down to which way you break their balance. In my tani otoshi replays I broke uke's balance to their back, over their heels. In front sacrifice throws, you break their balance to the front, over their "toes".

I don't have a particular condition that must occur when I go for a sacrifice, what I look for to throw these is pretty basic:

For a front sacrifice, I look for times when uke is pushing into me, when makes it easier to drop under their weight and throw them over.

For a back sacrifice, the best time to throw is when uke has his back turned and his balance is weak.

For a turn-in sacrifice, I usually do it when uke has one foot on the floor and the other in the air, this makes it easier to rotate them around my body as they can't resist my pull with both of their feet.
makes sense should we update the op with the new info? might help people integrate the moves into their move set. is is specifically balance? what about ground control can you hit a sacrifice throw off lesser ground control reliably?
i've got a few reaplys of your sacrifice throws are they your go to move? or when you want to be fancy? or there to prevent you dying from lack of balance?
For sacrifices you give up your position to pull a move. A suplex is more like launching the opponent through the air in dominant fashion.
Technically, all moves have some degree of "sacrifice" to them. For the sacrifice throws you're in a pretty vulnerable position if you don't succeed.
I don't give a flyin' fladoodle